The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New fuel filter brings bad results.. OMG!!! found the prob

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Experienced TGC Member

New fuel filter brings bad results.. OMG!!! found the prob

Thank God the board is back up! I need some help here fellas...

I changed out my fuel filter on Saturday, did it by the book (chilton's). Now my car lags, hesitates, stalls, and shifts badly.

I have no idea what to look for.. the filter is identical to the old one, in the same position. :?

I did not have an actual torque-wrench to use so I marked the banjo bolt instead. Doing my best to illustrate: The whole through the bolt is adjascent to the line-out feed. Does that make sense?

My car is now crap, and a diagnostic costs $60 so please help me out y'all.

Wes
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

Kain
    Well, the idea behind a Banjo fitting is that it is "aligned" no matter how the hole is... The important thing is that you're connections are tight. Otherwise you'll be leaking fuel all over the place (you did check for leaks afterward right?) From the sounds of it, you may have gotten something in your lines while the system was open. also, did you put the filter in the right way (not upside down)? Than there's the possibliity that the filter is simply defective. And lastly, did you disconnect anything while you were changing the fuel filter? It's possible that you just forgot to hook something back up (MAS sensor comes to mind) Check it out, and see if any of my solutions rectifies anything.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain
    Well, the idea behind a Banjo fitting is that it is "aligned" no matter how the hole is... The important thing is that you're connections are tight. Otherwise you'll be leaking fuel all over the place (you did check for leaks afterward right?) From the sounds of it, you may have gotten something in your lines while the system was open. also, did you put the filter in the right way (not upside down)? Than there's the possibliity that the filter is simply defective. And lastly, did you disconnect anything while you were changing the fuel filter? It's possible that you just forgot to hook something back up (MAS sensor comes to mind) Check it out, and see if any of my solutions rectifies anything.
    Most definately not spilling fuel LOL
    Before installing the filter I disconnected the fuel pump, then let the car run till it died. That released the fuel pressure. Then took out the old filter and installed the new one, the fileter looks like a "bell" with the larger diameter on the bottom. Right? The notch for the 'out' line is facing towards the engine and the banjo bolt is adascent to it.
    Oh yeah, I reconnected the fuel pump BTW
    I just don't get it. Here are the two things I was gonna try when I get home:
    1. diconnect the the pump again and kill the pressure, then reconnect it and bring the pressure back up.
    2. install the old filter (the one that has worked for 50,000 miles so far :shock:

Another thing that is wierd is that my oil pressure seems to be screwy. I changed my oil, same way I always do, and when I take the dipstick out... it reads that I am like 3 quarts over MAX. WTF?! I even drained the pan a quart and it still reads in the same place.... ghey

No, I m not driving the car now, way too scared :?
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

check the fuel pump connetions, while you're at it, run some 10g wire and a relay to it and beefen up that signal.

Wow, lots of weird things happening. I would think the fuel pump connections might be loose or not grounding very well since the disconnect/reconnect. I'd check those connections and make sure you ground out on the body and not a painted surface. Air pockets might be trapped somewhere along the entire path since the filter change so may take a little more driving to clear it out the entire path including in the pump. As for the oil level reading, try reading it both cold and hot and see if the reading on the oil level is consistant; that IS a strange one. Good luck.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Kain
    Hmm, I don't really know. I don't bother with the whole "fuel pressure release" thing. I just unscrew the gas cap so it dosen't spray, and let the few drops fall on a rag or something. Definitely check out your fuel pump connections if you disconnected anything. Lack of ground will make a car run like crap. As will a vaccum leak, and a couple of other things. Uhh, man, I need sleep and can't remember exactly but I think the banjo fitting is on top, and a simple hardline on the bottom. But, if it went on, and the bracket bolted back up, I think that's the only way it can go. You got an OEM filter right? Cheap aftermarket filters should be avoided like a fat chick with STDs. DON'T reinstall the old filter. If anything, get another new one. (you wouldn't reinstall an old oil filter would you?) As for the oil reading...don't check your oil when the car is running. You'll never get an accurate reading. Immediately after an oil change, start up the car to make sure the filter fills up, than shut it off. Pull the dipstick and hold it parallel to the ground. Than look at both sides of the stick. Take the lower of the two lines. If there's no definite line, wipe it off, and try again. I've heard of that problem with tranny fluid, but not oil. The Galant holds just a tad under 5 quarts. If you drained the oil completely (don't rush, the last 1/2 quart or so comes slowly) 4 3/4 quarts should put you right about in the middle of the "full" zone. Hope that sheds some light.

what has probably happened is that the new filter tore when the rush of fuel pressure first hit it, dislodging some of the filter material and clogging it.

i would HIGHLY recommend only using mitsu filters. most aftermarket ones are pure crap.

Experienced TGC Member
    I just have to laugh

But this is really no laughing matter.Think of the poblems I've posted up and think to yourself... the oil was changed that same day.

I let my buddy change my oil cause I figured there was no way he could F it up... Well..

He drained the TRANNY FLUID!! I just happened to glance at my oil dump bin and saw that it looked a bit purple... so I said " Son of a #($*!!!!!"

What do I do now? He drained one side of the case apparently, the fluid level is just below LOW. How much do I add? Should I drain the whole thing? This is pretty new fluid in there (new tranny) and the other thing is that my nearest Mitsu dealer is 300 miles away.

What is the next best thing if I cannot get Mitsu Fluid? How much do I add?

HELP! :shock:

Wes
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

Quote Originally Posted by 2True
    I just have to laugh

But this is really no laughing matter.Think of the poblems I've posted up and think to yourself... the oil was changed that same day.

I let my buddy change my oil cause I figured there was no way he could F it up... Well..

He drained the TRANNY FLUID!! I just happened to glance at my oil dump bin and saw that it looked a bit purple... so I said " Son of a #($*!!!!!"

What do I do now? He drained one side of the case apparently, the fluid level is just below LOW. How much do I add? Should I drain the whole thing? This is pretty new fluid in there (new tranny) and the other thing is that my nearest Mitsu dealer is 300 miles away.

Wes
    okay, i gotta tell you something.
    having worked for a mitsu dealer for 10 years, i actually see this happen frequently. believe it or not, we have 3 in the dealership right now, all done by "quick" lube places. and we have to charge the lube shops for a full trans overhaul, as they drain these trannies and let the customers go.. 100 miles later, they come to us with fried transmissions.
    it just baffles me that so many people working on cars are that totally braindead.
    oh well.. i guess it keeps me in the money.
    regardless, to answer your question, first check the trans with the car warm and runnin, ONLY in nuetral. you CANNOT check it in park, lest you get a totally wrong reading.
    if he just pulled the drain plug on the pan, chances are you need about 2 to 3 quarts of trans fluid. Anything but mitsu fluid has been known to cause shifting problems, but in an emergency you could use a quality dexron 2 (or 3) type fluid. but be warned, this does OFTEN lead to funny/squishey/shuddering shifts, but no permanent damage should occur.
    just fill it through the dipstick hole with a funnel. do NO overfill. add one and recheck. repeat until its in the "hot" range (obviously, the trans should be "hot" for this)

Experienced TGC Member
    Thanks manybrews, my girl is getting me some fluid on her way back from work (dexron 2). I checked the tranny fluid and it doesn't even register... happy that I have only driven it about 20 miles though

Believe my ya'll, my buddy Bryan (you know who you are) is gonna get a hefty BEAT DOWN for this! LOL

Thanks everyone for you help and support

Wes
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

Quote Originally Posted by 2True
    I just have to laugh

Wes
    [b]<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:30pt;line-height:100%'>OMG! :scary: </span></span>

good thing you didn't fry your tranny. that would have been bucks. if you want it done right, do it yourself, hahaha. to add to manybrews comment, if you are foaming your tranny fluid from low fluid level, you might want to let that sit so the air comes out as that can cause problems too. Fill your tranny fluid to the right level and get new fluids put in.

are you sure Brian didn't put the wrong fluid into the wrong place either, hehe

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>