The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Project Supercharged Grocery Getter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 41
    WarmAndSCSI

Project Supercharged Grocery Getter

Well, I am prepping my 2001 V6 Galant for the installation of the RIPP SDS tuner kit. I would like to document the process so that I can share some tips that I have learned. I have already done some fuel system upgrades, but I'll try to take pictures of the rest of the install.

Here's what I have done so far:

Installed GReddy eManage Ultimate
    Installed Zex spark plugs x6
    Installed Walbro 255 fuel pump

Here's what I have left to do:

Install 440cc injectors
    Install RPW shorty headers
    Install AEM wideband
    Install SDS (this will probably be the easiest part)
    Tune++

I plan to tune everything myself since the eManage Ultimate makes is really easy to establish an initial tune if you have a wideband. I've run into some problems so far, but nothing major yet. I had an issue with my fuel pump assembly (split o-ring on the feed line) but I fixed it up with some sealant and some good grease. I will eventually replace the o-ring but the fuel trims are about correct (compensating for a somewhat rich condition) and don't seem to fluctuate so I'll just leave it for now.

Next up is the installation of the injectors. I'll continue to update, possibly with pics.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    keep it coming.

Experienced TGC Member
    Sounds great! Can't wait to see the finished product.

no 5spd swap to go along with that???

WarmAndSCSI
    I'm having a bit of a problem with rough cold starts. After I let it sit for a while and rev it a few times, it smoothes out. I know the fuel trims are taking out a lot of fuel because of the fuel pump.

I believe these rough starts started after I put in the Zex FI spark plugs. Maybe they don't operate well when they're cold because I'm positive it's getting enough fuel on start up.

Do you have any ideas?

WarmAndSCSI
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BigMike)</div><div class='quotemain'>no 5spd swap to go along with that???</div>

Not until my auto starts shitting itself. I only have 48000 miles.

so the ripp kit should be ok with a non "black box" tune right? this whole subject has been confusing to me.
    -Travis

My Car

Quote Originally Posted by extremsprt86
    so the ripp kit should be ok with a non "black box" tune right? this whole subject has been confusing to me.
    Yes, the RIPP kit can be run without the RIPP black box - heck, VegasMatt ran without the black box (think he was on an HKS piggyback) until he went to stage 2 and the engine went kaput.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    I'm having a bit of a problem with rough cold starts. After I let it sit for a while and rev it a few times, it smoothes out. I know the fuel trims are taking out a lot of fuel because of the fuel pump.

I believe these rough starts started after I put in the Zex FI spark plugs. Maybe they don't operate well when they're cold because I'm positive it's getting enough fuel on start up.

Do you have any ideas?
    I've heard that rough cold starts are normal on the RIPP kit, but you would need to verify that with someone else.

Have you let the ECU "settle in?" It takes about 500 miles for the ECU to "settle in." Mine ran pretty rough initially, but after time it smoothed out as the fuel trims stabilized.

I've actually picked up some ZEX FI plugs, but haven't tried them out yet. What plugs were you using before?

WarmAndSCSI
    See, I was using the OEM NGK plugs but I swapped to the Zex ones. The thing is that I do not have the SDS installed yet... so, I don't know what's up. It's just an annoyance.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    with the amount of fuel your running, you should make sure the plugs arent fouling themselves
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I know on our 4cyl we need to install a 1:1 AFPR if you use a 255 as it will easily overflow the rail and cause a lot of fuel trim issues. Not sure if the same is on the v6 as the rails are designed diferently + 2 more injectors.

What are the Zex plugs rated at? Are they a step colder then stock? Some plugs if they are a step or two colder then stock will take a lot longer for them to warm up and function fully.
    7g for life!

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    with the amount of fuel your running, you should make sure the plugs arent fouling themselves
    The strange thing is that it was doing it before I put the fuel pump in.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    I know on our 4cyl we need to install a 1:1 AFPR if you use a 255 as it will easily overflow the rail and cause a lot of fuel trim issues. Not sure if the same is on the v6 as the rails are designed diferently + 2 more injectors.

What are the Zex plugs rated at? Are they a step colder then stock? Some plugs if they are a step or two colder then stock will take a lot longer for them to warm up and function fully.
    The Zex plugs are colder plugs, but I'm not sure by how much. I'll check on that. Thanks for the tip.

WarmAndSCSI
    Well, I just found out that Tearstone won't be able to ship my wideband until the 20th... so, regretably, I am having them refund me and I'm trying a larger chain-type store. Hopefully they will have one that can ship within a few days. If not, this project is going to be on hold for a while unless somebody wants to sell me an AEM UEGO controller/gauge.

I'm still mainly waiting on my headers from RPW which should be arriving in a week or so.

Experienced TGC Member
    Lucky sob. You EU guys and your autotune features.

BTW You should consider documenting the tuning process with the EU. Even though most people don't have one it would still be intresting.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Well, I just found out that Tearstone won't be able to ship my wideband until the 20th... so, regretably, I am having them refund me and I'm trying a larger chain-type store. Hopefully they will have one that can ship within a few days. If not, this project is going to be on hold for a while unless somebody wants to sell me an AEM UEGO controller/gauge.

I'm still mainly waiting on my headers from RPW which should be arriving in a week or so.
    Why not go with Zeitronix? It has a cooler display and does EGT and boost as well
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar

Try ordering from www.driverfx.com

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT

Why not go with Zeitronix? It has a cooler display and does EGT and boost as well
    Unfortunately, the Zeitronix does not work with the eManage Ultimate.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1

Try ordering from www.driverfx.com
    That's $100 more than for what Tearstone sells it :?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast