The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Change Drive Belts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 36 of 36
    Quote Originally Posted by n3oAcid24
    Quote Originally Posted by kvadim
    is changing belts on V6 any different than I4??
    take a look at your engine bay and look at the pictures. does it look the same?
    idk looks pretty close to me...except that in the manual belt routing is different

If I didnt tighten the alternator belt bolt all the way would that be the reason my car squeals something fierce when I start it after it has sat and gotten cold and when it rains? This is hardcore loud ass squealing...

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 732Galant View Post
    If I didnt tighten the alternator belt bolt all the way would that be the reason my car squeals something fierce when I start it after it has sat and gotten cold and when it rains? This is hardcore loud ass squealing...
    Yep. If you don't tighten the belt, winter will be a squel fest for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kvadim View Post
    is changing belts on V6 any different than I4??
    I have the V6, took a bit of looking the first time i changed the belts. your best bet is to take off the part of the inner fender in front of the belts, then you should be able to get in there and see the 2 tensioners. hope this helps you.

Hey guys. My belts squeek like crazy, but only for about the first 5-10 seconds of running the car, after that it's fine, but it annoys me a lot...

I checked the belt and it's not cracked at all and it's on there very tight. Sould I check the tensioner, or buy a new belt? I doubt the guy before me bought a new one recently, but there are no obvious defects.

What do you gusy think? :)

Thanks!

Sorry to bring this back up but I am going to change the belts in the next couple of weeks on Baby G and I was wondering if anyone knew the part #'s for them on rockauto. Thanks.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

This thread is old, but I'd like to point out you should loosen the nut holding the tension pulley in when removing the outer belt. This way it has an easier time sliding back and forth when adjusting the tension to remove the belt. I did not loosen it by mistake and sheared the bolt that adjusted the tension. Had to go to a junkyard, find a broken 8g, and rip the part out. Hope this saves some people the headache I went through. Here's the bolt I'm talking about:
    http://i56.tinypic.com/sy6ykm.jpg
    http://i53.tinypic.com/2gwyix5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by deep thought 42 View Post
    This thread is old, but I'd like to point out you should loosen the nut holding the tension pulley in when removing the outer belt. This way it has an easier time sliding back and forth when adjusting the tension to remove the belt. I did not loosen it by mistake and sheared the bolt that adjusted the tension. Had to go to a junkyard, find a broken 8g, and rip the part out. Hope this saves some people the headache I went through. Here's the bolt I'm talking about:
    http://i56.tinypic.com/sy6ykm.jpg
    http://i53.tinypic.com/2gwyix5.jpg
    Indeed. Another question.....what is the meaning of life?

Quote Originally Posted by deep thought 42 View Post
    42 of course. :P
    Indeed...I will let Zaphod know immediately!!! :)

P.S. probably would save him a head/personality too.

This is best tutorial. I read it more times. Is there its second part, I want to know more about it, it is very informative and great tutorial.

and thanks for the fish
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

andygee1138
    The V6 has a tensioner pulley on the alty belt that slides in a slot in a bracket. It is tensioned by a long bolt. Tried to change the belt today, loosened the pulley after a while, enough to get the belt on, tried tightening the bolt back up and broke it clean off. Don't laugh! In stead of a 10 minute fix, I now have no car! Any ideas?

does anyone know what are the proper torque specs for the power steering belt? meaning the bolt where u loosen the tension?

i can't find it on the manual i downloaded from here :/

One thing I'd add to this thread: disconnect your negative battery cable. I know it should really be done for all work, but particularly so for this one since you're working near the alternator.

Also, I didn't remove the wheel or the inner fender.

what is the tension on the belts? i havent found them yet im still searching though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12