The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turboing an automatic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30

Turboing an automatic

Is it safe to turbo our 8g's with the tranny as is... (automatic)... or should we upgrade it (Level10) or is it necessary, even?

Now, I know most people would say... just do a 5spd swap..life will be much easier... but i want to know about automatics..

thanks guys!

TGC Regular
    I'm sure it can be done if your are running a low boost. Also most of these turbo 8g are still auto.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Low boost should be fine on an Auto. If it comes down to it, stay far far away from Lvl 10. Unless they changed their kits over the years, they do not work very well in our trans. Go 5spd.
    7g for life!

good to know...i want to turbo the G soon...what is considered low boost tho??? is that like under 10psi?

Besides a 5-speed swap, what would be the recommended auto-tranny upgrade if I want to run 15-20 psi? Can Shepherd Racing make a custom built auto tranny for our 8g that can hold 350-400 hp? Any other reputable shops out there?

I wonder how VegasMatt's Level 10 tranny held up with a SDS Stage II...

galant_got_speed
    im worried about my auto tranny when i decide to turbo too...i mean right now it shifts hard as fuck sometimes...usually when the car is somewhat cold...doesnt help my fluid is dark...should get around to powerflushing the friggen tranny... :oops:

turbo'n an auto is cool as long as you stay around 10 psi

i bumped mine up to 12 psi and it started shiftin funny

Quote Originally Posted by galant03-4g64t

cool, but how much more HP you gettin with the turbo at 10psi?

galant_got_speed

thats around what 200WHP? or am i aiming too high...lol

i read somewhere 1 PSI = 10 crank horse or 7 wheel horse

10x7= 70+145= 215- anything else that could reduce wheel horse= 200 estimate.

RIGHT AT 200, I THINK MINE WAS LIKE 197 OR SOMETHING.......but i was at 230 tq

but ur addin wheel horsies to crank horsies...... i was at 106 whp stk plus 10psi@ 90 horsies

this is some good info . thanks u guys for responding. - i was jus wondering cuz i was considering but i guess if i stay auto, ill keep it on low boost (ie: 10psi) and if i wanna go higher then i do a swap? lol it sux.. i guess... lol

not that im a speed demon or anything......

:twisted:

ummmmn
    i'm pretty sure that brandon (4g64t) is running about 12-14 psi on stock internals and stock autotranny no cooler.
    not only that, but its not some weak ass turbo either. its a greddy 18g, unlike the puny turbo's most 4g64 guys run.
    this turbo is a 320-400 hp turbo.

rememebre the 2g eclipse tranny is nearly identicle to the 7g auto tranny. and those engines are boosted. there's plenty of guys running nearly 300 whp with no tranny upgrades.

i would only reccomend starting with a good tranny, and using a tranny cooler.
    cause if your tranny is already shady when you get started, its not going to get better when you make more power.

so if you want to boost your auto, go for it. just do it right and keep it realistic.

fact of the matter is that no stock tranny is safe with a significant horsepower increase.
    for instance,
    you can take a low mileage 99 eclipse GSX, turn up the boost on the stock clutch and watch it slip at certain points in the powerband. then eventually it will slip all the time. solution, heavier pressure plate, more clamping force.
    autotrannies by principle clamp harder when more power is being made. the limitations are the endclutches. if you start with endclutches that slip already, then its not going to get any better when you make more power.
    you can get valvebody upgrades to increase the power of the shift, or get the TCU-Go and control shift strength yourself.
    its all up to how much power you want to make, and how far you want to go.

Go ahead and boost your stock auto. it will work out just fine.
    cause a simple bolt on turbo kit isn't going to make the kind of power that will kill a tranny.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyGalant
    this is some good info . thanks u guys for responding. - i was jus wondering cuz i was considering but i guess if i stay auto, ill keep it on low boost (ie: 10psi) and if i wanna go higher then i do a swap? lol it sux.. i guess... lol

well, in a few weeks...possibly a lil longer, ill let you know and post here if the tranny can hold...... when i started boosting my car, the tranny had just been rebuilt.....adn still there were problems at 12-13 psi...... the problem is now fixed and in the next few weeks, i should be runnin around 20 psi......hopefully the tranny will hold....

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    ummmmn
    i'm pretty sure that brandon (4g64t) is running about 12-14 psi on stock internals and stock autotranny no cooler.
    not only that, but its not some weak ass turbo either. its a greddy 18g, unlike the puny turbo's most 4g64 guys run.

that might be the problem for me then.....since we are runnin about the same amount of boost, but mine hits max boost faster.....generally before i even start to take off.......when my car starts to move....im at 10-11 psi.... in any gear...... so basically, like a supercharger, but not really..... the power is theree as soon as i stomp the gas... instead of having to wait a few secs to build boost on a bigger turbo

at 20psi you're going to wear whatever you're rebuilding out quick. I honestly wouldn't even try it at that many pounds of boost on an auto especially without a cooler. It may take it for a short period of time, but not long. good luck with that though and let us know what happens...that would be the highest I've seen an auto boost especially on an 18g setup.

I'm running 20psi in the Eclipse and couldn't imagine trying to do that on the Galant tranny, no way.

Edit: by the way, like the new color scheme along with the new kit. Way better IMO than the purple and with the hood scoop gone looks much much cleaner.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    ummmmn

that might be the problem for me then.....since we are runnin about the same amount of boost, but mine hits max boost faster.....generally before i even start to take off.......when my car starts to move....im at 10-11 psi.... in any gear...... so basically, like a supercharger, but not really..... the power is theree as soon as i stomp the gas... instead of having to wait a few secs to build boost on a bigger turbo
    you should run a larger turbine wheel. or try porting your exhaust housing in the meantime.
    will sacrifice a little low end for more top end pull.
    Although as long as your EGT's are managable, its nice to have quick response in the city.

so long as you aren't dropping off at the top of your powerband.

Your car really looks nice now man. a long way from the purple primer gutter it used to dwell in.

ever get your engine bay cleaned up?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by SinSere
    at 20psi you're going to wear whatever you're rebuilding out quick. I honestly wouldn't even try it at that many pounds of boost on an auto especially without a cooler. It may take it for a short period of time, but not long. good luck with that though and let us know what happens...that would be the highest I've seen an auto boost especially on an 18g setup.

I'm running 20psi in the Eclipse and couldn't imagine trying to do that on the Galant tranny, no way.

Edit: by the way, like the new color scheme along with the new kit. Way better IMO than the purple and with the hood scoop gone looks much much cleaner.

ive got the 14b.....spools really quick.......
    4G64t has the 18g

but i see this just like i see everything else.......

i blew up my motor....boohoo....but that gave me a chance to get headwork and drop some lower comp pistons in her.....yay!!!

now, if this goes like i plan.... ill drive on the auto for say.... a month.....then the tranny will take a shit.....boohoo...... but then i have no car, so i have to do something right......5spd swap......oh yea....the more stuff i break......the more money i get to put in her.....and my wife cant really say anything, cuz i need a car to drive....

oh, and thnx guysfor the comments about the paint

Quote Originally Posted by BigMike
    good to know...i want to turbo the G soon...what is considered low boost tho??? is that like under 10psi?
    I dont think that anyone should boost more then 10 psi with out upgradeing the internals

FOUNDER OF THE EVO WING ON A G GROUP member #1

Quote Originally Posted by mattalicslvr8g02
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMike
    I dont think that anyone should boost more then 10 psi with out upgradeing the internals
    you probably shouldnt, but im gonna find out just how far stk internals will take you...... 1 psi at a time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast