The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question?? Oil found On Spark Plugs.How to fix It?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    ILL InFeCteD

Question?? Oil found On Spark Plugs.How to fix It?

Ok My kinda started to act funny the other day. After riding the car, my RPM guage drop all the way down as if the car wanted to turn off. When I hit the gas it went down then up.
    I quickly thought it was the spark plugs(I havent done a tune up in quite a while) So I ran over to pep boys and grab some NGK v power plugs.

Well while changing them I found oil around the top and started running down towards the spark plug. I tried my best to clean it. But then Once I took the spark plug out the bottom of it had oil on it too.

Is that a Bad thing and if so how do I fix that so it wont happen again?

Experienced TGC Member
    sounds like a value cover gasket too me

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If the oil is just on the top part of the plug, the ceramic white part, then its more then likely that the valve cover gasket is leaking. If its on the plug itself or the tip of the plug then there is other issues here.

Post pics of the plugs? Is it just one plug or more then one?

Too much oil is entering the combustion chamber. This is often caused by piston rings or cylinder walls that are badly worn. Oil may also be pulled into the chamber because of excessive clearance in the valve stem guides. If the PCV valve is plugged or inoperative it can cause a build-up of crankcase pressure which can force oil and oil vapors past the rings and valve guides into the combustion chamber.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    If you are finding oil on the top portion of the plug where it plugs to the actual spark wire then you are leaking oil on the spark plug seals on the valve cover. Very easy to replace but requires you to remove the valve cover and while you are at it might as well replace the valve cover gasket. Now like what Seth said..if there is oil on the spark plug solenoid then you are most likely leaking oil in the combustion chamber.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Yes, valve cover gasket will come with the 4 spark plug seals and will be around $40. If its not leaking on the top ceramic part then first try replacing the PCV valve as it does go bad or gets stuck from time to time. Its only a ~$2-5 part and is easy to replace. If your still getting issues after replacing the above, its more then likely going to be bad news.
    7g for life!

ILL InFeCteD
    Ok Ill try to post up some pics.

It may be the seals Soon as I pull the plug out oil was was just sitting there and started running down.
    But one of the plugs did have oil on the bottom part of the plug. It didnt look bad but it was oil on it.
    It might be possible that the oil that ran down might've got on the plug.

So Ok Just replace the PCV valve, the seal around the spark plug and valve cover gasket. I might grab it today.
    It is simple correct?
    Now if it leaking in the combustion chamber, how can I fix that(if so)and how much would it run?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    If you are leaking oil into the combustion chamber its going to be more expensive to fix and more work. Oil in the combustion chamber could be the result of the piston rings being bad and oil seaping pass the rings and into the combustion chamber. Could be a bad valve seals too. Either or...its going to be a little more work to fix and more expensive.

Check this site out and compare your spark plugs to the pictured plugs on the site..this should help you out a bit more.
    http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/spkplghnbook.htm#We

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by ILL InFeCteD
    Ok Ill try to post up some pics.

It may be the seals Soon as I pull the plug out oil was was just sitting there and started running down.
    But one of the plugs did have oil on the bottom part of the plug. It didnt look bad but it was oil on it.
    It might be possible that the oil that ran down might've got on the plug.

So Ok Just replace the PCV valve, the seal around the spark plug and valve cover gasket. I might grab it today.
    It is simple correct?
    Now if it leaking in the combustion chamber, how can I fix that(if so)and how much would it run?
    So if you were to pull the plug wires you would see a pool of oil sitting on top of hte plug? That would definitely be the spark plug well seals. Get a valve cover gasket from AutoZone and it will come with the 4 spark plug seals. They are easy to replace, remove the valve cover and just pull the old valve cover and seals off. Usually best to applay a thin layer of gasket maker to the valve cover before you put the gasket in to make the best seal.
    7g for life!

ILL InFeCteD
    Ok Thanx...Ill do that next.

does any old pcv valve do the job? By that I mean, should I be looking for a specific brand or anything or doesn't it matter,,,just as long as it's new of course.

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    So if you were to pull the plug wires you would see a pool of oil sitting on top of hte plug? That would definitely be the spark plug well seals. Get a valve cover gasket from AutoZone and it will come with the 4 spark plug seals. They are easy to replace, remove the valve cover and just pull the old valve cover and seals off. Usually best to applay a thin layer of gasket maker to the valve cover before you put the gasket in to make the best seal.
    I would like to try this, any chance I could get the part number on the so-called "valve cover gasket"? :-)

Look it up, any local auto parts store should stock it with another manufacturer like Felpro.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Yes, you are right, I was kind of tired yesterday when I applied the post. I did find the part. I have a reasonable idea of the valve cover gasket replacement, but just in case I searched a few times without luck. Is there a DIY for this repair in TGC?

this happened to me 2weeks ago. the mechanic said that the valve seal, and head gasket should be replaced. I did replace it but what sucks is that after 2 weeks, my car broke down again! and now they are saying that it's already "low compression" you guys have any idea what went wrong..? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    if you are going to use gasket maker or gasket sealant on the valve cover gasket...i would recommend only applying it to the bottom part of the gasket...if you put in on the top part of the gasket that sets in the groove of the valve cover, you will have a bitch of a time getting it out if you change your gasket again in the future.......it took me and my friend about 2 ours to get all the residue and gasket out of the valve cover because the last person who changed the gasket used gasket maker/sealant on both sides
    98' Galant ES
    *under construction*
    http://www.thegalantcenter.net/showthread.php?t=36825
    Pa-Psyfic Productions