The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HOW TO: Install Coilovers (Sleeve style)

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar

HOW TO: Install Coilovers (Sleeve style)

This thread is dedicated to installing coilovers. Though removal of the suspension parts is similar to Seths "HOW TO: Install Lowering Springs" thread, this is for 7g owners who plan to install "sleeve" style coilovers on their 7gs.

I did a tutorial back then for Galantspeed.com but updating it here on TGC with new pictures I found in my computer.

*Warning* I myself or TGC is responsible for any damage or injury that may occur during the removal or install process of this tuturial. All actions are the sole resposibility of the person(s) that perform the work to their own vehicle[/b]

Tool Required
    [LIST]
    -14mm socket, 17mm socket, 4mm socket (same size LONG sockets will help too)
    -Socket wrench
    -Breaker Bar
    -Car Jack
    -Jack stands
    -Spring compressor (You can rent these from Autozone or Advanced Auto)
    -Vice Grips
    -PB blaster or any other rust penetrant (If your bolts show rust)
    [LIST]

Removing front struts
    1. Jack up the front of the car and have the car resting on car jacks. Make sure emergency brakes are on.

2. Take off wheels.

3. Open your hood and remove the strut mount nuts with a 14mm socket. If you have a strut bar...its the same procedure.

4. DRIVERS SIDE: the bolt is on the left side of the strut boot. Use a nut wrench with a 17mm socket and remove the bolt. This bolt helps
    the boot clamp on the strut.
    (NOTE: You could also unbolt where the lower control arm and strut boot connect..but this is secured highly torqued. This will require a air gun
    to remove.)

PASSENGER SIDE: The passenger side strut boot is different and a little difficult to remove the bolt. The bolt is on the left side still but the Sway
    bar link is very close to the bolt which makes unscewing the bolt difficult. Loosen the sway bar link with 4mm socket and this should give you some
    room to unscrew the strut boot bolt.

5. You will need to apply force downward on the rotor so the boot and the bottom of the strut will separate. (This will take some time)

6. Once you get the stut out, take a vice grip and clamp the very top of the strut rod. It will have flat ends which will allow you to clamp
    the rod.

7. With the strut rod clamped...take a wrench and remove the nut.

8. Once you loosen the nut, remove all strut mount parts and the bump stop.

COILOVER/STRUT INSTALL
    1. Your struts should have spring perches....you will have to remove these perches for proper coilover installation. (NOTE: If you don't remove these
    spring perches, your coil sleeve will be loose and cause damage to the assembly. Also...you will not achieve stated height adjustment that is
    claimed)

2. Make sure you sure the floor is padded with cloth or some other type of material. Turn strut upside down so its resting on the top of the strut rod.

3. Take a hammer and cautiously knock off the spring perch. Make sure you don't hit the strut.

4. From here, review your coil-over installation manual for correct installation of the coil sleeve. (Varies with manufacturers)

5. You will NEED to use the factory bump stop...you should cut it in half and apply it as stated on coil-over installation guide.

6. Reinstall strut mount. (I strongly recommend to purchase new strut mounts...KYB makes them)

7. Once you have the strut mount on....tighten securely. Using the vice grip on top of the strut rod....tighten the nut.

8. Lightly lubricate the bottom of the strut.

9. You can either compress the strut to make it shorter so you can install the strut and place the bottom of the strut into the strut boot.

10. You will notice on the strut there is a little guide on the strut shaped in a "T". You MUST align this with the strut boot clamp to allow a secure and proper fit.

11. Securely tighten the strut boot.

12. Apply upward force the the rotor. (I used another car jack for this) Tighten the strut mounts uptop. (If you have a strut bar..don't worry about
    it right now, this is so when we drop the car the strut assembly is secure.)

13. Drop the car....from here you can do any adjustment to ride height. If you have a strut bar...go ahead and install it at this point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rear shock assembly removal

1. Remove the rear seats. ( If you have a ES/LS/GS and you have the fold down seats...just fold them down)

2. Remove the shock mount cap.

3. Loosen the 2 shock mount bolts with a 4mm socket.

4. Jack the rear end of the car and lay the car on car jacks.

5. Remove the wheels

6. On the bottom of the shock..remove the bolt with a 17mm socket.

7. You may need to put some downward pressure to the rotor/drum to remove the shock.

COILOVER/SHOCK INSTALLATION

1. With the shocks out, take a vice grip and clamp the top of the shock rod.

2. Unscrew the 14mm nut from the shock.

3. Remove the whole shock mount and factory bump stop.

4. Your new shocks will have spring perches. Since you are installing coil-overs, you don't need these spring perches for the same reason the struts
    don't need them.

5. Same procedure as the struts. Turn the shock upside down and cautiously knock off the spring perches. DO NOT hit the shock.

6. From here...refer to your coilover installation guide on coil sleeve installation.

7. You will need to cut the factory bump stop in half.

8. Place springs and shock mounts back. Just reverse the removal steps. (I strongly suggest replacing your shock mounts)

9. Take the vice grip and clamp the top of the shock rod. It is flat so you can do this.

10. While rod is clamped....take a wrench and securely tighten the 14mm nut.

11. You could either compress the shock or apply downward force the the rotor/drum to install the shock assembly.

12. Make sure the shock is firmly secure to the lower control arm and tighten the 17mm bolt.

13. Bolt on and securely tighten the shock mounts.

14. Install wheels, lower the car on the ground and make sure the car sits right and everything is secure with no "loose" noises

15. Reinstall rear seats.

*You will have to make several adjustments to have achieve the height desired with the coilovers*

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

nice write up!

i found that the best way to fill in the extra bit of space between the sleeve and the shock/strut., is to wrap duct tape around the struts tightly and even ly until you can just barely slide the sleeve over it.(might require some very light tapping with a rubber mallet if its snug)

this will help insure that your sleeve won't move around, and helps prevent it from slipping further down the strut.

(picked this tip up in a tuner mag. tried it myself when i ran sleeve-overs. worked great)

1994 Galant GS-Turbo