The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Performance Mods for the Cheap Bastard - Bang for Buck!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 71
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    i doubt u would be able to do a 100 shot without blowing it, but just do a 55shot like im doing soon, but yeah all that exhaust and intake crap doesnt do shit.. maybe like 2 1/2 hp if that, just unplug ur MAS like i do cuz when i do it, it runs hella rich so i get hella power of the line, only down side is that my mpg goes to like 8
    I would not recommend doing this. Unplugging the MAS will just give you more problems, it is not a performance mod. Reptile is just crazy...
    no ur crazy... man... my car is just special, serously my car sounds beastly like a muscle import with it off lol
    From 7g to this...

Shot with DSC-T33 at 2007-07-21
    13.1@109 02 WS6

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    i doubt u would be able to do a 100 shot without blowing it, but just do a 55shot like im doing soon, but yeah all that exhaust and intake crap doesnt do shit.. maybe like 2 1/2 hp if that, just unplug ur MAS like i do cuz when i do it, it runs hella rich so i get hella power of the line, only down side is that my mpg goes to like 8

HAHAHAA...that is classic. I guess do whatever works for you but I'm gonna agree with seth on this one, that can't be a good idea.

Decent performance does not come cheap, yes you can do some little mods that make things sound nice but they aren't adding too much power. If you start with the more basic mods (Int./Ex.) and continue building your car over time all the performance components will eventually add up and you'll have a nice finished product. Adding just 25-30hp sounds easy but even that much power can be expensive. Nitrous seems to be the cheapest quick fix for power but probably will end up doing more harm than it is worth to an engine which isn't prepped for it.

Just remember, your car can look fast but it does not mean you're required to race it haha, but what the hell running it hard once and a while is always fun.

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    When I just had the CAI, muffler(not even true exhaust), 60mm 1g throttle body, safc, and fuel pump rewire, my car had some "ok" pickup for a NA 4cyl. I beat a v6 Taurus, my friends 94 v6 Camry, friends 4cyl 240sx, amongst other cars. I never went to the track unfortunately as my parents would let me(was in hs) lol. But I sure showed them now didnt I!

That would be my recomendation for basic mods, going past that, you could have your intake manifold ported or use a 2g spyder intake manifold(was told it flows better for some reason) but other then FI theres not much else to do without tearing apart the motor, doing headwork, ect.
    7g for life!

Proto
    rpw headers!

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glantv699
    Just remember, your car can look fast but it does not mean you're required to race it haha, but what the hell running it hard once and a while is always fun.
    Oh yeah, baby!! With a busted rear motor mount. a very leaky valve cover, sick tranny, and off timed engine w/ 176k ... I'm posing everywhere i go. It's funny to watch everyone come up on me and start revvin, or i'm going down the highway and people want to ride right next to me as if to want to race.

I usually let them get in front and then ride thier ass as if i could eat them up at anytime if i wanted too. Then pull of at my exit. Or just let them race off at a light, while i pull off slowly. As if to say, "Man your POS ain't worth my time..." That shit is hilarious.

But in the back of my mind i'm just like, "Wait till i get done... then i'll have some REAL shit fo' that azz, BIATCH!"

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice
    But in the back of my mind i'm just like, "Wait till i get done... then i'll have some REAL shit fo' that azz, BIATCH!"
    hahah...damn right

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I say add a flux capictor and a couple bottles of NOS and you are good to go man! 8)

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by mitsuree8thgen
    I tried unplugging the MAS before, car couldn't run right for shit. The G hasn't been the same since :cry: .
    its not the same b/c ur computer noticed it was off and compensated for it, it has adaptives to make the car run best w/ what its givin. you need to disconnect the battery and connect the terminal ends together. this will clear the computers memory of any adaptives. at my shop we do this after replacing o2 sensors for the same reason.

when i accedently left mine unplugged (changing starter) it ran great, and just had one issue, when i went from 8/10ths throttle to wot it jerked, but other than that i had no problems.. and no extra power or sound either
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    I say add a flux capictor and a couple bottles of NOS and you are good to go man! 8)

why the hell does it only go up to 95...mph..
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

galant_got_speed
    Quote Originally Posted by mapid145
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim

why the hell does it only go up to 95...mph..
    that speedo shot is from the delorean in BTTF...lol.

Cause the car was made in like 1984 haha.
    7g for life!

rich huh?
    do you realize you make LESS power when you are rich?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Thanks for the help fellas.

No, I'm definately not going the nitrous route, despite my alias. Not only would my engine blow up, but I'm looking for a more permanent gain, not a huge gain for just a few seconds.

I'll probably go with a CIA and a simple exhaust solution. My car will be mainly more show than tell. I'd simply like it to be faster than your average Galant, how's that sound?

Also, seriously no go on the PVC? Why not? Like I said before, my buddy made one for his Cavalier and it worked great. It sounded sick too, it kind of made a subtle whistle that resembled the spooling of a turbo.

I was thinking of keeping my stock setup, slapping in a good K&N filter in the stock filter box, and running some custom PVC piping from the box to the front air dam, and positioning it in a ram-air-esque fashion. I figured I should get something from that, regardless. Just think, it's freezing cold air getting rammed into the intake at whatever speed you're traveling.

BMW owner. Galant fanatic.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    nitrous has never blown an engine. stupid drivers do
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Virginia (If I showed you where I live, you would think I was hiding)
    Quote Originally Posted by NiTrOuSoXiDe
    Thanks for the help fellas.

No, I'm definately not going the nitrous route, despite my alias. Not only would my engine blow up, but I'm looking for a more permanent gain, not a huge gain for just a few seconds.

I'll probably go with a CIA and a simple exhaust solution. My car will be mainly more show than tell. I'd simply like it to be faster than your average Galant, how's that sound?

Also, seriously no go on the PVC? Why not? Like I said before, my buddy made one for his Cavalier and it worked great. It sounded sick too, it kind of made a subtle whistle that resembled the spooling of a turbo.

I was thinking of keeping my stock setup, slapping in a good K&N filter in the stock filter box, and running some custom PVC piping from the box to the front air dam, and positioning it in a ram-air-esque fashion. I figured I should get something from that, regardless. Just think, it's freezing cold air getting rammed into the intake at whatever speed you're traveling.

My previous cai setup made that same sound whenever i accelerated. I thought the same thing about that freezing cold air theory, but the truth is that my engine seems to perform a little better with a short ram configuration.

To Be Missed....... Otto Racing WAI, K&N Air Filter, Otto Racing Performance Muffler, Header, GReddy Voltage Stabilizer, Strut Bar, APC Aluminum Shifter, Painted Calipers, M3 Mirrors, Optix Headlight Strobes, Audiovox 7.5" DVD Player/Monitor, JVC SD11 Headunit, Pioneer Premier 6x9s, Pioneer Premier 6 1/2s, 12' Rockford Fosgate Punch HX, Lanzar 1200W Amp.

When I just had the CAI, muffler(not even true exhaust), 60mm 1g throttle body, safc, and fuel pump rewire, my car had some "ok" pickup for a NA 4cyl. I beat a v6 Taurus, my friends 94 v6 Camry, friends 4cyl 240sx, amongst other cars. I never went to the track unfortunately as my parents would let me(was in hs) lol. But I sure showed them now didnt I!

That would be my recomendation for basic mods, going past that, you could have your intake manifold ported or use a 2g spyder intake manifold(was told it flows better for some reason) but other then FI theres not much else to do without tearing apart the motor, doing headwork, ect.
    lol ur mommy didnt let u go to the track im in hs, they rather me go to the track instead of doing it on the street.. but i wish i could of raced u when we were both NA so i could of smoked ur ass with my unplugged mas
    From 7g to this...

13.1@109 02 WS6

Lol, do you even know the purpose of the MAS and how it corrilates to the ECU? Unplugging it does you NO good. You still have hte restriction of the MAS without the correct fuel maps from the ECU. And how do you know you are running richer? Some cars will not even run with the MAS unplugged.

Anywayyyyyyyyyy, running a PVC intake is possible, but why? You can get an Integra cai off eBay for $25 and mod it to fit perfectly. PVC will not deflect heat at all, it will probably even make the intake charge warmer, making you lose power. Dont be ghetto(yes PVC pipe intake is ghetto), get a metal intake pipe.

And like I said, get a header, and exhaust, and larger throttlebody along with the CAI and you will notice a slight difference. If you had ~$1000 to play with, I would tell you to go 5spd no questions asked. Your car will feel so much faster.
    7g for life!

Lol, do you even know the purpose of the MAS and how it corrilates to the ECU? Unplugging it does you NO good. You still have hte restriction of the MAS without the correct fuel maps from the ECU. And how do you know you are running richer? Some cars will not even run with the MAS unplugged.

Anywayyyyyyyyyy, running a PVC intake is possible, but why? You can get an Integra cai off eBay for $25 and mod it to fit perfectly. PVC will not deflect heat at all, it will probably even make the intake charge warmer, making you lose power. Dont be ghetto(yes PVC pipe intake is ghetto), get a metal intake pipe.

And like I said, get a header, and exhaust, and larger throttlebody along with the CAI and you will notice a slight difference. If you had ~$1000 to play with, I would tell you to go 5spd no questions asked. Your car will feel so much faster.
    it uses a lot more gas and it hella lunches off the line, and i have proof cuz i raced some truck and with it plugged in he beat me by like a car off the line but i eventually passed him, but with it unplugged we were dead even til about 60 then i passed again. and notice how u said when u go 5spd it will FEEL so much faster, but i could still keep up with dustin, if not the same, he may have more top speed cuz of that 5th gear, but in the 1/4 id probably win
    From 7g to this...

13.1@109 02 WS6

it uses a lot more gas and it hella lunches off the line, and i have proof cuz i raced some truck and with it plugged in he beat me by like a car off the line but i eventually passed him, but with it unplugged we were dead even til about 60 then i passed again. and notice how u said when u go 5spd it will FEEL so much faster, but i could still keep up with dustin, if not the same, he may have more top speed cuz of that 5th gear, but in the 1/4 id probably win
    but u gatta put into consideration dustin's car (8G) is 300 lbs. heavier than yours... thats why you can keep up... but theres no way ull beat him in the quarter... hes 5-speed with IHE... against ur auto.. stock....
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover

but u gatta put into consideration dustin's car (8G) is 300 lbs. heavier than yours... thats why you can keep up... but theres no way ull beat him in the quarter... hes 5-speed with IHE... against ur auto.. stock....
    lets put money on it
    From 7g to this...

13.1@109 02 WS6

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast