The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: a possible project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

a possible project

rebuilding my old GS block. probably at the end of this year or the beginning of next year. I have to go pick it up and tear it down to see if the block is still useable as well as parts to sell such as the 60mm TB. I know a piston & valves are broken but I don't know if it affected the block or not. the cylinder head...I highly doubt it. so here is the possible upgrades I have in mind:

custom 87mm wiseco piston (10.4 to 10.8 CR)
    a 4G67 cylinder head
    either COMP or HKS cams
    crower springs and retainers
    stainless steel valves
    balance craftshaft
    B/S removal
    Eagle rods
    62mm throttle body
    390cc injectors
    coil on plug coils (MSD)
    *knifeedge craftshaft
    *jdm cyclone intake manifold
    *rpw street header

(*debating)

any suggestions and comments are welcome
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    damn, got compression ratio? why so high?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    damn, got compression ratio? why so high?
    lol, i know 10.8CR is a 'little' high but I'm really considering around 10.5 cr.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    4g67 Head? Did your timing belt fail? Your pistons should be ok unless they cracked, which I doubt they did.
    7g for life!

please educate me, 4g67 is a _____ .
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

Either he means this JDM, or a typo at worst.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-4G67-DO...itemZ8057928565

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I believe 4G67's were equipped in old school Mitsubishi Colt turbos. Basically it looks like a 4G63...but its 1.8L.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Nah the turbo Colt/Mirage motor is a 4g61t, at least the 89-91 turbo motor. Have no clue on the older older style mid-80s colts. I think the 4g67 came in some of the early to mid/late 90s Mirages.

[Edit]
    Google tells me the 4g67 came in some 93-95 Elantras, the 6g Galant non-turbos(I think), and the Eterna(sp?). Not sure how big of a motor is but it looks to be DOHC

http://avenir.japancar.ru/images/eng/p1010056.jpg

[Edit x2]
    Ahhh I remember this motor. Its basically a 1.8L version of the 4g63(not the same turbo Colt 4g61t which is 1.6 or 1.8L). But I remember a lot of people getting scammed on ebay thinking it was a 4g63t. People would relabel the auctions and put the red JDM valve covers on them and sell them as 4g63t. I remember John got one a few years back. Not sure on the differences in the head vs a 4g63t head though.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Nah the turbo Colt/Mirage motor is a 4g61t, at least the 89-91 turbo motor. Have no clue on the older older style mid-80s colts. I think the 4g67 came in some of the early to mid/late 90s Mirages.
    Yup, you are right Seth...4G61 was in my head but wasn't sure :oops: I am sure the cylinder head is compatible with a 4g63t...the basic design is most likely the same.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Yes 92-95 Elantras and the I think the 4g67 I read about in the non turbo 6g was a swap. I stole my valve cover off a 4g67 Elantra:

http://www.karking.com/catalog/images/DSCN0121.jpg
    7g for life!

But I remember a lot of people getting scammed on ebay thinking it was a 4g63t. People would relabel the auctions and put the red JDM valve covers on them and sell them as 4g63t. I remember John got one a few years back. .
    yeha i sold the head off of it and the block has been sitting in the corner of my garage for 3 years now.

i think its time...

i'm going to toss it over a bridge tonight.
    would make a nice breeding ground for the aquatic wildlife in my area.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    But I remember a lot of people getting scammed on ebay thinking it was a 4g63t. People would relabel the auctions and put the red JDM valve covers on them and sell them as 4g63t. I remember John got one a few years back. .
    yeha i sold the head off of it and the block has been sitting in the corner of my garage for 3 years now.

i think its time...

i'm going to toss it over a bridge tonight.
    would make a nice breeding ground for the aquatic wildlife in my area.
    i want pictures of the splash lol..
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

yes, the 4G67 and the 1G 4G63 heads are the same...except the combustion chamber is around 43cc for the 4G67 and the 4G63 is 47cc.

they are mostly find in the 93-95 Elantra GLS.

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Nah the turbo Colt/Mirage motor is a 4g61t, at least the 89-91 turbo motor. Â*Have no clue on the older older style mid-80s colts.</div>

Before the 4g61 (the grandpa of the 4g63) there was the G32b Which was a Throttle body injected 1.6L turbo found in the '83-'88 Colt Turbo. It shared the same turbo as the VR4 3KGT I believe it was a TD04. I had one, it was a colossial turd.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

jojo85
    im gonna go with a 4g63 head swap and redo my internals.

i'm currectly changing the cylinder so i'm going with the elantra one. planning to keep the GS exhaust cam but I don't know what intake cam should I use.

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Look what the UPS man drop off to me Friday. Don't know how to post pics!

http://photos.yahoo.com/jayme_w_2000

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Nice man keep us updated on your progress
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mysticj)</div><div class='quotemain'>Look what the UPS man drop off to me Friday. Don't know how to post pics! Â*
    http://photos.yahoo.com/jayme_w_2000</div>

cool.
    since you are going to have the machine shop mill that head flat, might as well have them install some new valveseals(or install them yourself)
    most turbo heads have fried exhaust valve sealls after being abused for 80,000 miles and more.

you cna get a set of viton seals for around 20 bucks. i think seth actually has a complete set lying around, you might as him about them.

are you missing some valves?

lol EEEWWWWWw the guy before you ran bosch platinum plugs.
    yuck

btw,
    you are going to have to get yoru head drilled and tapped fo rthe 94 gs fixed cam position sensor. the pickup has to bolt to the head and the 1g head does not have the holes for the pickup to mount.

your other option
    (probably the better especially if you are going all motor)
    is to use the 1g cam angle sensor.
    just like a distibutor this one can be clocked to adjust base ignition timing.
    a big bonus for you, mr all motor.
    i would still use the factory crank position sensor. its better to ahve an actual crank trigger signal than a simulated one.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mysticj)</div><div class='quotemain'>Look what the UPS man drop off Â*

are you missing some valves?
    </div></div>

Yes, four of them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mysticj)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    btw,
    you are going to have to get yoru head drilled and tapped fo rthe 94 gs fixed cam position sensor. Â*the pickup has to bolt to the head and the 1g head does not have the holes for the pickup to mount.

your other option
    (probably the better especially if you are going all motor)
    is to use the 1g cam angle sensor.
    just like a distibutor this one can be clocked to adjust base ignition timing.
    a big bonus for you, mr all motor.
    i would still use the factory crank position sensor. its better to ahve an actual crank trigger signal than a simulated one.</div></div>

this cylinder head is unique: it's like the 1G just with a smaller combustion chamber. i just have to hard wire the 1G cas to the 2G plug and leave the yellow wire disconnected. i'm plan on using my GS exhaust cam and most keep the intake cam. i read somewhere that majority of 1G intake cams are about the same except for the m/t turbos.

i notice on my GS cams, both cams are stamped with the letter 'G' while on the hyundai one, the intake is stamp with a 'D' and the exhaust cam with a 'B'.

btw, i paid $130 shipped for this thing. there were others as low as $50!

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast