The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Intakes - Plastic or Metal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28

Intakes - Plastic or Metal

Me and my friend were discussing intakes, and we wondered if there was a difference between plastic intakes or metal intakes?

one's plastic...the other is metal. Any questions?

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

galant_got_speed
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nius (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>one's plastic...the other is metal. Any questions?</div>

rofl

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nius (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>one's plastic...the other is metal. Any questions?</div>

rofl</div>

X2..
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

plastic intakes won't heatsoak. they won't transmit the heat of the engine bay into the intake charge.
    metal resonates sound better, and in turn, makes a louder, more enjoyable intake sound.

metal tens to look nice
    but plastic can be painted. or can come in other colors.
    plastic would be nice too cause metal tends to scratch and get dull
    whereas plastic just needs a little armour all from time to time.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

thanks DOHCstunr for answering that, i wasn't sure if there was a difference in power, i didn't think there was. To all the clowns, wow.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jjmoneydawg)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks DOHCstunr for answering that, i wasn't sure if there was a difference in power, i didn't think there was. To all the clowns, wow.</div>

Thank you! :laughing: *takes a bow*

He didn't lie, did he?

BMW owner. Galant fanatic.

I'm only kidding, I should have made it more clear. At least it was all joking around. Unlike some of other forums I go to I would've been flamed for 3 pages.

Yeah I figured thats what you meant...but I was in a silly mood! LOL

i hear sometimes the plastic breaks and the chips might get sucked up.... i rather buy the metal then the plastic... but thats just me...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Also in some cases, metal really can't make the bends needed for an intake. I know for 1g Neons all intakes for them are plastic due to the upward facing throttle body. The cost to bend an intake pipe 180* and than flatten it so it would clear the hood would far outweigh the cost of just casting the desired shape into plastic.

That aside, metal intakes are often cheaper since they're just 3" exhaust tubing that's been chromed/painted and maybe 1 or 2 bends into them. In reality, what the intake tubing is made of is largely irrelevant, it's the design that's important. As long as it has a generous supply of cool air, it's going to work better than the stock intake. If it's only getting blocked, warm air...you're really defeating yourself. This is why if you look at BMW intakes they're just short extensions off the stock piping and a box to surround the filter with ducting to funnel in the cool air from the bumper. That's the set-up I use and I'm quite happy with it.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krazienluv10)</div><div class='quotemain'>i hear sometimes the plastic breaks and the chips might get sucked up.... i rather buy the metal then the plastic... but thats just me...</div>

plastic intakes can be reliable. think back to what the factory intake is, plastic or metal??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

are we descusing intakes from throttl body to filter or manifolds?

lol acr has a point in manifolds and dohcstnnr has a good point on after market pipes
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

ILL InFeCteD
    Well Im not an expert on this but I think Plastic would be good. Because I have metel piping and due to the engine heat the pipe itself gets hot.

With plastic I dont think it would get as hot.

Well the heat on the out side would not be as hot to the touch, but the heat inside the piping can be pretty hot. Put your hand in a plastic bag...the outside will be normal but your hand will start to sweat cuz of the heat generated by you. Same thing

r1de4life
    i like metal better.

my intake is actually plastic that is spray-chromed to look like metal. it gets hot to touch on the outside but the inside stays cool. plastic works quite well as an insulator, take that into consideration
    i like mine, totally recomended

Proto
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frag_daddy_2007)</div><div class='quotemain'>my intake is actually plastic that is spray-chromed to look like metal. it gets hot to touch on the outside but the inside stays cool. plastic works quite well as an insulator, take that into consideration
    i like mine, totally recomended</div>

no plastic sucks. metal is the best but coat it with high temp caliper paint on the outside if the pipes if you want true cold air.k thanks.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    metal certainly looks cooler, but plastic conducts less heat
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast