The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I went to the DYNO today, Good news and bad news

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 60
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar

I went to the DYNO today, Good news and bad news

okkk so here goes. i go to the dyno today, planning on making some pump gas pulls and some pulls on pump and methanol injection. turns out that my fuel maps were shittier then i expected so i let the tuner re-program the whole thing from scratch. initially we couldnt get the car to go thru the gears without breaking up under boost, so it took about 2 hours to get that squared away and get some sort of idle going. i made a few pulls, boost breaking up here and there. no meth injection since we were trying to get a good map to build off of. on race fuel, no doubt the motor will break 500whp, maybe even higher.

1st pull. 385whp

2nd pull 404whp

3rd pull 427whp or 437whp i forgot

4th pull...the pull of death. 457whp and 483ft lbs torque.

ok so on to the bad news. during the pull of death (4th pull) my boost spiked, spiked to 28psi, on pump gas. that is a problem. i was watching my gauge but the motor is soo damn rev happy it goes from no boost to 25psi in the blink of an eye, i saw it go past 23psi, but by the time my foot got the message it was too late, booom i blew the headgasket and shot coolnat from the overflow a good 20ft across the room. did a compression test. cyl#1 50psi, cyl#2 0psi, cyl#3 0 psi, cyl#4 0 psi. i took a peak into the cylinders, no broken pistons from what i can see, i did completely torch the spark plugs, so im praying my turbine wheel didnt get f'ed up. as for now, i think its just a head gasket, if it is, it will be fixed within 2 weeks, if its more then that, well then i gotta figure out if this car is worth keeping anymore, it might need a new home. no vids, i was driving in the car the whole time, i got one dyno graph of the 404whp run
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

DAMN...437hp.. wow..but still sucks with the head gasket.. lets just hope that theres nothing else wrong with it..
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

galant_got_speed
    damn brian...those numbers are amazing but im sad to hear something went bad..hopefully its something you can fix somewhat easily and not have to pour a ton of money into...

good luck

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    at least you went out in a blaze of glory!

GODDAMN !!!!!!!

thats all i have to say
    http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=626038
    REALLY WORKS!!! costs about 5 bucks!!

thats pretty sweet power on pumpgas though, despite the spike.
    why did you spike btw? what gate are you running?

what, did you not hook up your alky kit yet?

sucks about te mishap though.
    i'm sure its just the headgasket.
    which gasket was it anyways?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

damn crazy-ass numbers Brian!!! im sure its just the gasket.. your block is built and stuff and the 63 is like a 4 cylinder 2JZ so im sure your fine... but we'll see.... despite the mishap props man 473 is a big number man... the nice thing about a 4G63 is that 473 is less than half of what u could max the motor out at... props to you like always

to the haters... there i tried my hardest to spell correctly.. hope ur happy
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

FUCK! Good numbers but SHIT this sux! Definatly sorry to hear this, FIX IT DON"T SELL IT
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>thats pretty sweet power on pumpgas though, despite the spike.
    why did you spike btw? what gate are you running?

what, did you not hook up your alky kit yet?

sucks about te mishap though.
    i'm sure its just the headgasket.
    which gasket was it anyways?</div>

the meth kit is up and running, but we didnt wanna start messing with it until we had a good enough map established to build off of. im running a Tial38mm gate, i think the culprit was a loose set screw on my boost controller, it just doesnt make sense that in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear i topped out at 23psi and then all of the sudden in 4th im bouncing on 28. im wondering if i just used the meth kit and ran C16 too, i bet i could run like 35psi and make 600whp :twisted:
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

jesus.....awesome numbers man but i swear you're jinxed... :cry:

hopefully it's just the head gasket sounds like it will be. the way you built the bottom end im sure it's just fine

good luck bro.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanaticsâ„¢ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Wow...those are nice numbers on pump gas Stewi. I am assuming that it was the OEM headgasket. That was a crazy boost spike...hopefully its just the headgasket that suffered.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    It was the 4-layer cometic MLS gasket. I think you should go with the metal HKS gasket this time around. Its only $235 lol, typical HKS part: Expensive!
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    that is one fast G!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>It was the 4-layer cometic MLS gasket. Â*I think you should go with the metal HKS Â*gasket this time around. Â*Its only $235 lol, typical HKS part: Expensive!</div>

:shock: ..and it gave up? That with some ARP head studs torqued a little bit more than spec should of held that much of boost easy :? Well Stewi...if it comes down to wether the Galant or a house, I would say house, its the smarter investment 8)

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Thats impressive
    Good luck with the head gasket (got to think possitive.)
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

i hate manual boost controllers.
    so touchy.
    so unpredicatble., so inconsistant.
    but i guess tial doesn't make a 25 psi spring set

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4-G-rim)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>It was the 4-layer cometic MLS gasket. Â*I think you should go with the metal HKS Â*gasket this time around. Â*Its only $235 lol, typical HKS part: Expensive!</div>

:shock: ..and it gave up? That with some ARP head studs torqued a little bit more than spec should of held that much of boost easy :? Well Stewi...if it comes down to wether the Galant or a house, I would say house, its the smarter investment 8)</div>
    Yah not sure why it popped but I am not familiar with Evo motors at ALL. With the DSM 4g63t, 4layer MLS gasket, and ARP headstuds, it can hold 25PSI before you start breaking things. But at that point, Im not sure if the headgasket would be the first to go or not.

But his gaket blew up at 28psi with a a/f of 13:5.1 which isnt tooooo lean. But at 28psi I can see it causing issues especially if there is a lot of knock. He said he did not see any detonation on the piston tops which is good seing as it is a brand new motor
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Holy shit! Congrats on those numbers dude.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4-G-rim)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>It was the 4-layer cometic MLS gasket. Â*I think you should go with the metal HKS Â*gasket this time around. Â*Its only $235 lol, typical HKS part: Expensive!</div>

:shock: ..and it gave up? That with some ARP head studs torqued a little bit more than spec should of held that much of boost easy :? Well Stewi...if it comes down to wether the Galant or a house, I would say house, its the smarter investment 8)</div>
    Yah not sure why it popped but I am not familiar with Evo motors at ALL. With the DSM 4g63t, 4layer MLS gasket, and ARP headstuds, it can hold 25PSI before you start breaking things. But at that point, Im not sure if the headgasket would be the first to go or not.

But his gaket blew up at 28psi with a a/f of 13:5.1 which isnt tooooo lean. But at 28psi I can see it causing issues especially if there is a lot of knock. He said he did not see any detonation on the piston tops which is good seing as it is a brand new motor </div>

now that I am thinking about it, I think the headstuds went loose and the head lifted and blew the gasket. even with a blown headgasket, if it was bolted down good, i would see more then 0 compression unless the rings fried. im gonna run outside and do a lil test
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    But his gaket blew up at 28psi with a a/f of 13:5.1 which isnt tooooo lean. Â*But at 28psi I can see it causing issues especially if there is a lot of knock. Â*He said he did not see any detonation on the piston tops which is good seing as it is a brand new motor </div>
    thats the thing about built engines though,
    those pistons can take a beating. but just cause you didn't melt a piston, it doesn't mean you didn't flatten a rod bearing.

But i'm sure its not the case in this instance.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast