The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: painting intercooler?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

painting intercooler?

curious if anyone has input or info on painting your intercooler black? Thought my bigmouth was cool at first, but have found the attention more annoying than anything. did a search on google and found people saying radiator paint is the way to go. Looked up radiator paint and I found household radiator paint, the high temp type for the old school standing radiators. Not sure if this is what the forums meant that I looked on. Also, what type of sand paper would I use to scuff it up to stick?

I imagine the thinner the coat the better on the intercooler to keep the same type of functionality. I would think the black would absorb heat also compared to the silver reflecting it away. Probably not too much of a difference, but a difference none the less. I'm going to keep searching, but thought I'd throw it out here as well. If I don't get overly hammered like last weekend, I'll most likely be doing it on Saturday or sunday.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

Re: painting intercooler?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SinSere)</div><div class='quotemain'>curious if anyone has input or info on painting your intercooler black? Thought my bigmouth was cool at first, but have found the attention more annoying than anything. did a search on google and found people saying radiator paint is the way to go. Looked up radiator paint and I found household radiator paint, the high temp type for the old school standing radiators. Not sure if this is what the forums meant that I looked on. Also, what type of sand paper would I use to scuff it up to stick?

I imagine the thinner the coat the better on the intercooler to keep the same type of functionality. I would think the black would absorb heat also compared to the silver reflecting it away. Probably not too much of a difference, but a difference none the less. I'm going to keep searching, but thought I'd throw it out here as well. If I don't get overly hammered like last weekend, I'll most likely be doing it on Saturday or sunday.</div>

I actually considered painting my intercooler as well to keep a low profile, but I actually kind of like the way it is now - I take carpool everyday and one guy thought I had a billet grill down there

Anyway, I asked the same thing over at Club3G.com and one guy used high-temp black engine paint with no apparent ill effects, and it looked good IMHO.
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52865

changed your signon I see...

I'll check it out. I'll post pics of mine as it sits now and you'll understand why I want to hide it....thats all you see is FMIC. thanks man.

acid-etching is the best preforming way to black out an intercooler. But it is the most expensive.

Just get some 0 flat black paint, and keep the coat light.

the guys over on evom are using radiator paint will not problems so far.

Back in the Family!!

yeah literally just dusting the exposed side is enough to conceal it. those that know will see it no matter what.... cause they'll be looking for it.

just dust what can be seen.

the rest of it will still be exposed metal.

if your intercooler is symetrical like mine, you can always turn it around if you want to go back to silver.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xrs2)</div><div class='quotemain'>acid-etching is the best preforming way to black out an intercooler. But it is the most expensive.

Just get some 0 flat black paint, and keep the coat light.</div>

Yeah, acid-etching is the way to go, but I'm not willing to go that extra mile. Looking for a brand really that I can pick up locally. So far Duplicolor flat black radiator is what I'm reading will work. I plan on doing a very thin coat, it'll look a lot better. It actually is symmetrical so good point, I could flip it around if I needed to.

Re: painting intercooler?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DryBear)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SinSere)</div><div class='quotemain'>curious if anyone has input or info on painting your intercooler black? Thought my bigmouth was cool at first, but have found the attention more annoying than anything. did a search on google and found people saying radiator paint is the way to go. Looked up radiator paint and I found household radiator paint, the high temp type for the old school standing radiators. Not sure if this is what the forums meant that I looked on. Also, what type of sand paper would I use to scuff it up to stick?

I imagine the thinner the coat the better on the intercooler to keep the same type of functionality. I would think the black would absorb heat also compared to the silver reflecting it away. Probably not too much of a difference, but a difference none the less. I'm going to keep searching, but thought I'd throw it out here as well. If I don't get overly hammered like last weekend, I'll most likely be doing it on Saturday or sunday.</div>

I actually considered painting my intercooler as well to keep a low profile, but I actually kind of like the way it is now - I take carpool everyday and one guy thought I had a billet grill down there

Anyway, I asked the same thing over at Club3G.com and one guy used high-temp black engine paint with no apparent ill effects, and it looked good IMHO.
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52865</div>

that color is sweet, not the intercooler the car, me personally like the look of an intercooler on the bottom of the bumper but... I would think either way would work radiator or high temp engine paint and it could be done because ive seen intercoolers with the brand name sprayed on it like Greedy

FOUNDER OF THE EVO WING ON A G GROUP member #1

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If you want a professional quality/look, look into anodizing. I dont think it is that expensive, probably compareable to powder coating.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I painted mine with some Krylon High Temp Flat black. All I did was clean the intercooler with brake cleaner, i let it sit in the sun and air dry for about 15 mins, then i sprayed on the paint i very light coats, it took about 3-4 very very light coats to get full surface coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    I painted mine with some Krylon High Temp Flat black. All I did was clean the intercooler with brake cleaner, i let it sit in the sun and air dry for about 15 mins, then i sprayed on the paint i very light coats, it took about 3-4 very very light coats to get full surface coverage.

man I love your car, are you comming to the bbq?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    yeah i should be there
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    yeah i should be there
    YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that was one of my questions actually was what to use to clean it. Brake cleaner huh Stewi? I have lots of that available. I found some paint made for auto radiators that I'm going to use. Not flat, but satin anyways. Hopefully the paint I ordered will be here by Friday.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Post before and after pics! I might have to paint mine so I can be in the cool sleeper croud
    7g for life!

Was plannin on it. I haven't even posted pics of the Eclipse yet in general so I'll make sure I take a fair amount.

So the numbers of the boosted Galant minions are growing? :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by DryBear
    So the numbers of the boosted Galant minions are growing? :twisted:
    its the usdm destiny

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

did you paint your yet Len

i thought about doing mine also but never got around to doing it i even bought the radiator paint now i dont know where it is lol
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Quote Originally Posted by underated
    did you paint your yet Len

i thought about doing mine also but never got around to doing it i even bought the radiator paint now i dont know where it is lol
    my lazy ass hasn't painted my intercooler either, and I have the paint sitting somewhere in my garage as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast