The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cold Air Intake for 4 cyl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21
    Im considering CAI on my 4 cyl. However, I'm looking into the price range of $100-$150. What's a reasonably good brand to go with? Also, is it worth it?

I haven't done any performance mods and am just looking into the investment.

just pm me i have some tip for you.

TURBO= in the making.......

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    i have teh k&n typhoon it is usually listed under the eclipse but works fine for our applications, it is a short ram intake, K&n is quality it gives a good sound and has been dyno tested for performance but dont expect much performance from an intake as it will only really at max give you about 5 hp alone i think i picked it up for around $125 you could also buy the recharger kit so you can clean and reuse the filter insted of getting cheap ones that you have to replace and i believe if you choose to you can get a cold air extention for it as well

aem is also good but the are a bit more expensive for the cai
    and injen is good too but they are very expensive for the cai

i would check car domain as i have seen a few times in the open box section intakes for the eclipse but it is very rare and you would have to jump on them pretty quick to get i because the go fast

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    if you are going with your $100-150 price range then you could buy something new off ebay like a AEM short ram or something. if thats your price range then just go for the short ram. you will get more air in the engine and i think you will be satisfied with that.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

to with an intake there are 3 main issues.

first one is legality. if you live in one of those states that say you need your aftermarket engine parts to be approved. then pick one that is approved. injen and aem come to mind for intakes. if this doesn't apply to you, skip this part.

secondly is the filter. make sure you're getting a high quality filter. that should explain itself.

thirdly is mounting. a good intake should come with instructions and all the proper parts for the install. a good intake won't leave you standing there with a pile of parts and no directions on how to put things together. a good intake also shouldn't flop around when installed. this is especially key on the i4's.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    to with an intake there are 3 main issues.

first one is legality. if you live in one of those states that say you need your aftermarket engine parts to be approved. then pick one that is approved. injen and aem come to mind for intakes. if this doesn't apply to you, skip this part.

secondly is the filter. make sure you're getting a high quality filter. that should explain itself.

thirdly is mounting. a good intake should come with instructions and all the proper parts for the install. a good intake won't leave you standing there with a pile of parts and no directions on how to put things together. a good intake also shouldn't flop around when installed. this is especially key on the i4's.
    speaking of good intakes, where I can download instructions on how to install an Injen CAI for the V6?

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    i don't know man.. but i think as soon as you take out ur stock.. should be a piece o cake from there

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    yeah.

To bring up an old topic, Im looking into Injen. Now my question relies on the difference of short ram vs. the "regular"?
    Is one better than the other, should one be used in certain weather more than the other, what else do I need to know?

my o2

I just dont trust the cai any more. It ruins my rainny day driving. I just feel more secure with the short version. Id go with the injen if youve got the money.
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

Quote Originally Posted by SLS2000
    I just dont trust the cai any more. It ruins my rainny day driving. I just feel more secure with the short version. Id go with the injen if youve got the money.
    yeah, my first intake was a CAI, and it's not good in water at all. the filter sits right in front of the wheel well, and lots of water can get up in there. i worked delivering with my car for a while, and one day i ended up driving about 6 hours in constant rain and puddles, and my engine died. i had to have my car towed home, took of the intake and let the water evaporate before it would start again. sooo much water in the intake. after that i went with the short ram. the only real difference i noticed between the two intakes was the CAI makes a better sound. performance-wise, i didn't notice much of a difference.

i guess you could always try a splashguard/heatshield around the filter to prevent this...

i cant remember which company it was either aem or injen but one of them makes a cut off valve for their cai so wehn a certain amount of pressure ie water occurs it cuts off so no water gets in.

the aem bypass valve works if you fully submerge the filter but if the filter is just totally soaked and water can still slowly migrate its way up.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I was also thinking of getting an intake what do you guys think of Weapon R? w/ Dragon Filter?

search thru old topics man i think someone started that question as a topic like a week ago

K&N or AEM short ram fits really good. Injen if you have the money. Weapon R not such as good brand as the others. Again the gains are minmal.

With Xmas coming up, and a lot of family birthdays I decided to save some money and am looking at the K&N Typhoon short ram. Ebay has it for about $135 shipped. It says its for 4 cyl. 00-03 Eclipse. That would fit my 01 i4 right?

New concern, Ive been getting different feedback all over the place with this.... A lot of intakes say that they increase horsepower as well as give better mileage. How is that? I know I wont get a whole lot of HP, but if Im running more power from the engine, how am I saving on gas too?

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    PLUG

if you're interested i have a Injen Short Ram intake for sale. 85 plus shipping.

-Pedro

If you search in club3g right now there’s some members selling some CAI INJEN & AEM for $125

TURBO= in the making.......

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGO_ONE
    New concern, Ive been getting different feedback all over the place with this.... A lot of intakes say that they increase horsepower as well as give better mileage. How is that? I know I wont get a whole lot of HP, but if Im running more power from the engine, how am I saving on gas too?
    it allows the engine to have more power by letting more air in. it can give you better mileage because your engine doesn't have to 'suck' as hard to get air into the combustion chamber, but in the end if you are flooring it, it's not gonna save you anything really. if you drive it easy all the time, there might be a slight mileage increase. i didn't see a noticable change, personally, other than slight response time increase and engine sound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast