The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My 9g Galant problems

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

My 9g Galant problems

Well, my car started acting weird 3 weeks ago. My friend Jessica and I was driving, and started notice that the car didn't go up to speed to 60 but was pushing hard at 5k rpm even though the gas pedal wasn't press down all the way....at the same time the a/c and stereo wasn't able to be turn on. (note: my car has 35k miles)

A few days later the "service engine light" came up, i took it to the local dealer and told me it was the catalytic convertor. THey said they couldn't repair it right now but will order it and that it was ok to drive around since I have work.

Between the time the order was being shipped and my car being repaired, there was a knocking noise when i turn on the a/c fan up then when i pass a car on the highway, going up to speed hitting up to 4-5k rpm, there is this spraying noise. I thought it was due to the catalytic convertor so i wasn't worried about it.

I took my car in and got it repaired, the knocking noise when a/c fan is at full power (4) is gone and the service light is off. I thought everything is fixed until I had to pass a car on the highway....the spraying like noise was still there. I check under to car to see if they did change the catalytic convertor, i have my doubts since the spraying sound hasn't been fixed.

The convertor looks the same, it has some scrapes like the old one, maybe i'm looking at something different. Maybe someone witha 9g can post a picture of theirs..

Anybody have a TSB related to anything to this? I'm planning to take it back to the dealer early morning
    2004 Mitsubishi Galant ES

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    yeah, just take it back to the dealership and complain more about that noise thing. I might be able to take a pic whenever i change my oil this week but mine is 30k so it might look old.

BTW, everything going through warranty? i hope it is. Hope that dealer can help you out. If they seem alittle fishy, go with another mitsubishi dealership. Im pretty sure you can take it to any mitsu dealership and not pay anything as long as its under warranty.

oh btw, welcome to the site!

thanks, yea i was surfing around this forum for the past few months and finally joined. The warranty is good, I was looking through it while my car was in the shop, i saw that the catalytic converter was covered not just 36k but extends after that for 60k.

I took the car in today, its in the shop once again. My problem is that there's only one mitsu dealer/shop here and the nearest place is an hour and half away.

*Update* The dealer said they had to order another convertor, they said that there are 3 convertors on the 9g Galant (i didn't know that). THey'll get it fixed Thursday, i'm relieved that it can be fixed, but i'm leaving to California that afternoon since i'm going to attend summer school there for 2 months....my stress level is up again :cry:

Those guys are freaking tools then, it's not hard to figure out which cat is blocking the air flow...and besides that 36k and your car already has a blocked cat...what the hell have you been doing to that car?! lol just kidding.

I always hear about blocked cats, never personally seen one...I'm thinking about getting two of three on my car.
    2004 Mitsubishi Galant LS - 3.8L V6 - "The G" - 14.62 @ 95.52

”Sticks impress high-school kids, autos win races” – Unknown

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    i looked under the car and i thought i saw one cat that bends up then down and 2 others that are welded on the exhaust system.

It's kinda hard to explain so ill post pics tomorrow.

My exhaust (STOCK!);

the v6 cars have a cat on each manifold.
    the 4 cylinder has 2 cats built into the manifold.
    both have one back a bit further.

the middle picture is actually a resonator.

What the hell is the third picture? I'm assuming a cat...it just looks so friggin weird...

Yes I knew the third was a resonator, I just posted it because it was there and different than the rest of the piping!

well my car is going back to the shop tomorrow, should be fixed before I leave to California. The mechanic said it'll take only 30mins to replace it. i'm kinda skeptical that it'll take 30mins to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech_Greek
    What the hell is the third picture? I'm assuming a cat...it just looks so friggin weird...

Yes I knew the third was a resonator, I just posted it because it was there and different than the rest of the piping!
    third picture is the last cat.

News from California

I got my galant fixed, they had to replaced the whole exhaust system :? , i miss my galant...i feel disabled. I won't have her for 2 months since i'm going to school here.

Experienced TGC Member XxGiRLaNT06xX's Avatar
    That sux.. but at least it'll be fixed!

2011 Ibis White Audi S4
    *When you turn your car on ... does it return the favor?*
    Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    The thread got big fast because Ally is the bomb lol.

Titanium04
    I've already had to have the cat (or one of) replaced on my '04. Week later the SES light came on and it turned out the O2 sensor went out. Since then, I've had the SES light come on yet again and then went out the next day...but haven't had the time to go get it checked out.