The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question about Cat Bolts

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Question about Cat Bolts

I just bought a Megan racing catback, and I'm having a crazy hard time getting the nuts off the flange for the cat to resonator pipe. My question is, are the bolts that the nuts are on, part of the cat, or can the bolts be removed. I dont want to damamge them trying to get the nuts off and end up having to replace the cat, if they are part of it. any help would be awesome, thanks
    2003 Dover White Mitsubishi Galant ES

1997 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Have you tried some PB blaster on the nuts?

well, i managed to get the nuts off but now the pipe is still stuck to the cat by all the rust and corrosion, still trying to figure out that part.

ok, this is gonna sound stupid, but once i take off the two nuts connecting the resonator pipe flange to the cat flange, should the two pull apart, or is there something else i have to do. I cant get the two apart and ive done pratically everything i can think of to get the pipe off. This is all that is standing in the way of me putting my catback kit on.

The two pieces come appart. Try prying them appart with a big screwdriver and a hammer. Also check the holes on the flange on the Megan exhaust to see if they are big enough to fit over the stock bolts. Mine were not and I had to dremel them out a bit to get it to fit. also make sure you have a new exhaust flange to go in between the cat and resonator.

Sold
    New ride...
    2002 Lincoln LS V8

Yeah, i figured id try banging a chisel in there or something. Im hoping i dont have to dremel those openings wider, but if i do, i do have a dremel handy. And you're saying i need a new gasket for the resonator to cat? i wonder if my dealership will have one of those on hand, or if they have to order it. ill probably reuse the old one for like a week if they have to order a new one. Gonna try to get the kit in on Saturday. Will update....

<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>BFH</span>

and swing it like you have a pair

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by proteusx301
    Yeah, i figured id try banging a chisel in there or something. Im hoping i dont have to dremel those openings wider, but if i do, i do have a dremel handy. And you're saying i need a new gasket for the resonator to cat? i wonder if my dealership will have one of those on hand, or if they have to order it. ill probably reuse the old one for like a week if they have to order a new one. Gonna try to get the kit in on Saturday. Will update....
    Don't go to the dealer, just go to Autozone or any other parts store. It's a standard size gasket and you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

Sold
    New ride...
    2002 Lincoln LS V8

Awesome. Thanks Titanium

Install went awesome after i got the two flanges apart. Everything fit together well. I did have to widen the bolt holes on the resonator flange, and there was a rubbing issue with the muffler and the rear bumper. I just ended up cutting off a small triangle of plasic so it wouldnt rub.