The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7g 2 piston brake upgrade

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 43
    phizz2k
    This may make sense or not but someonoe here will proably know the answer to this question.

Will calipers from a dodge stealth fit, since its similliar to a 3000gt?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phizz2k
    This may make sense or not but someonoe here will proably know the answer to this question.

Will calipers from a dodge stealth fit, since its similliar to a 3000gt?
    Yes all will fit but not the stealth rt tt ones.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

phizz2k
    Well I went over to dsmtuners and found that tutorial...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55306

I always see diamante's and stealth's in the junkyards I got to so I think I'll try this out... I was going to get a set of stock 15inch galant wheels but I may try something a little larger since its unsure if they will fit over these calipers...

Proto
    15" wont fit.

oem 15" wheel should fit.. coz thats what i did to mine..

i cant find any pix with the 15" on at the moment.. ill keep looking and post it here..

it makes perfect sense to me that the stock 15" alloys woudl fit under the dual piston calipers and larger rotors.
    cause the stock 6gv4r rims are dual piston big brakes.
    and the vr4's has 15's and were the same dimensions as the 7g alloys.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Which 3000GT version brake comes with the "mitsubishi" on the side

Just a note, 97 gsx awd does not fit the 4cyl 8g. I have tried and sleepervr4 has seen. I'll explain later
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice
    Which 3000GT version brake comes with the "mitsubishi" on the side
    the vr4 brakes.... that won't fit

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You know i was just wondering....

When the people that have tried different 2 piston brakes and say they don't fit. are they talking about the bracket or the caliper..?

I guess i'm asking has anyone tried to use the caliper with a different bracket. for instance, maybe the 3000gt VR4 caliper will bolt to a GSX bracket and there fore be able to be used on the Galant.

I'm really going off the fact that the bracket is mainly built so the caliper can be mounted to the knuckle. Say mitsu builds one type of caliper, and makes different brackets, depending on it's application.

Experienced TGC Member

When the people that have tried different 2 piston brakes and say they don't fit. are they talking about the bracket or the caliper..?

I guess i'm asking has anyone tried to use the caliper with a different bracket. for instance, maybe the 3000gt VR4 caliper will bolt to a GSX bracket and there fore be able to be used on the Galant.

I'm really going off the fact that the bracket is mainly built so the caliper can be mounted to the knuckle. Say mitsu builds one type of caliper, and makes different brackets, depending on it's application.
    I knowticed the bracket were different when we tryed to insall them on romans car. Gsx and 3000gt brackets are different. If you have a 7g you need the gsx bracket and if you have an 8g you need the 3000gt bracket (3000gt bracket bolt holes are spaced about 1 inch farther apart). The calipers are exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4

I noticed the bracket were different when we tryed to install them on romans car. Gsx and 3000gt brackets are different. If you have a 7g you need the gsx bracket and if you have an 8g you need the 3000gt bracket (3000gt bracket bolt holes are spaced about 1 inch farther apart). The calipers are exactly the same.
    Seth; how do the Diamante brackets or calipers fit into this equation.

Proto; you used the 3000gt rs caliper but the gsx bracket like stated?

I know the 2g GSX calipers will fit, but is there any way possible to get the 3000gt vr4 calipers to fit...? different bracket?

And also what year Diamante and 3000gt's

Proto
    I'm using 3000GT SL Brackets and Calipers, special SS lines from RRE, and GSX Rotors. 92-96 Diamante and 90-93 3000GT SL/Non Turbo Stealth Calipers use a male fitting. 2G GSX use a banjo bolt. The 3000GT VR4 uses 4 pistons which is too big for our spacing or whatever.

Blue I can get you a set of Diamante ones from the yard for dirt cheap if you want.

Experienced TGC Member
    Don't know if you want to really do the TT brake swap but here is the info http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthre...ent+big+brakes

good luck :D

Yeah read most of the information. sounds like the biggest pains are making a bracket to mount the 3kGTVR4 caliper to so it fits our knuckle, and finding a rotor the right size. I'm not too sure i'll need 4 pistons just yet, not really going all that fast anyway.

I do wonder if the rear 3kGTVR4 calipers will fit, they are 1 pot just like ours. I just really like the fact that they are branded with mitsubishi :D

Thanks Proto, but it looks like i'm going the 2g GSX route. no need to replace my ss lines i currently have.

you have to think 3 dimentionally.

its not just weather the bolts will line up for the brackets,
    or whether your wheels will clear the massive calipers.

its that the 3/s hubs stick out further from the knuckle than ours.
    this means that not only would you need bigger wheels and the brackets to majically line up...
    but you woudl need the rotors to somehow be pushed out further away from the knuckle. so that the rotor woudl line up perfectly between the pads.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    A friend of mine did this mod to his mirage. He used the 6gvr4 brakes and rotors (they have the same bolt pattern as we do). The only problem that he came into is that he has the 4x100 pattern and the 6gvr4's bolt pattern is bigger than that. He had to re-drill them to fit his car but they would fit ours perfectly. Here in a few weeks when i get the money im going to purchase the diamante calipers and the vr4 rotors. Let me know if you need the rotors because he has them and they are cross drilled.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19
    A friend of mine did this mod to his mirage. He used the 6gvr4 brakes and rotors (they have the same bolt pattern as we do). The only problem that he came into is that he has the 4x100 pattern and the 6gvr4's bolt pattern is bigger than that. He had to re-drill them to fit his car but they would fit ours perfectly. Here in a few weeks when i get the money im going to purchase the diamante calipers and the vr4 rotors. Let me know if you need the rotors because he has them and they are cross drilled.
    Can you get me the link for those performance rotors and do they offer just slotted? I had a problem finding performance rotors for the 6gvr4 so I just used the stock 6gvr4 ones.

Can you get me the link for those performance rotors and do they offer just slotted? I had a problem finding performance rotors for the 6gvr4 so I just used the stock 6gvr4 ones.
    i ordered mine from irotors.com
    they have them. crossed and slotted.
    they use drilled blanks, then cnc the slots.

I've never had one crack on me and i have them on my car(wactually drove thhe last ones through 2 sets of ceramic pads... until the slots wore off the face of the rotor and still no cracks) my sisters mx6 my fathers diamante. never had one crack, or warp. when it came times ot change pads, i just slapped new ones on, rebled the brakes and done.
    never had any problems. i highly reccomend them.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member

He cross drills them himself. I dont have a link because he doesnt have a website. If you are highly interested i can find out a price for you of them crossdrilled or regular. Your choice.. Just let me know. I dont want to call the man for no reason. You know?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast