The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7g Turbo build

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    phizz2k

7g Turbo build

Well I have finally started this project, I have a long way to go and have been reading as much as I can on this setup but still have questions.

I found an early 90's eclipse in a local junkyard and I removed the

turbo
    o2 housing
    exhaust housing
    bov and piping
    Resistor pack
    coil Pack
    450cc injectors (blue top)

All the fins look clean and nearly brand new on the turbo, as well as the exhaust housing has no cracks and isn't even black inside.

My Questions
    Is there anything I can do to keep the injectors in good shape before the install?
    Does anyone know where this manaul is that will tell me how to wire up the coil pack and resistor?

The manifold is causing a bit of problems for me to remove, the last bolt towards the belts is in a wierd postion but iam going back to get that as well.

Is there anthing else I should grab form his car?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>All the fins look clean and nearly brand new on the turbo, as well as the exhaust housing has no cracks and isn't even black inside</div>

Clean fins don't indicate if the turbo is in good shape. Check for shaft play and spin the turbine if it spins smoothly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Is there anything I can do to keep the injectors in good shape before the install?</div>

If you are pulling them from a donor car..there is no real way telling if they were in good condition or working condition. Get them clean and flow tested at a place locally.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Does anyone know where this manaul is that will tell me how to wire up the coil pack and resistor?</div>

PM Seth..I believe he has the diagram. I printed mine out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>The manifold is causing a bit of problems for me to remove, the last bolt towards the belts is in a wierd postion but iam going back to get that as well. </div>

You are pulling the manifold from the 1g Eclipse right? Its a bit of a tight spot on the 1g (Which is similar to my GVR4)..the water pump bracket makes it a bit of a hard get that bolt. 1 thing you have to watch out for on 1g manifolds is they are prone to cracking. Check for cracks especially underneath the manifold near where the manifold bolts to the compressor housing. I suggest getting a 2g manifold....less prone to crack and larger runners.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Is there anthing else I should grab form his car?</div>

Make sure to grab the oil feed , coolant feed, coolant return, and oil return lines to the turbo. Though I would suggest if you have the extra $$$ to buy a SS braided oil feed line.

You are going to need a turbo oil pan to return the oil from the turbo. You can either get a oil pan from a 2g GS-t or the other route is to drill out the holes on the stock 7g oil pan for the oil return line.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

phizz2k
    Thanks 4-g-rim, I'll look into the things you mentioned.

Well I have a little update on my turbo build and thought Id put up some of the new things I got in this thread...

New list of items

16g evo3 turbo
    450cc injectors
    1g exhaust housing
    1g BOV
    2g resistor pack
    2g coil pack (proably don't need it but got anyways)
    2g manifold
    Conquest Intercooler
    Misc 2g/1g/volvo intercooler piping
    2g downpipe
    7g galant oil pan with tap (thanks sleeprvr4 :))
    custom oil return line
    Autometer boost, air/fuel, egt Gauges

Needed
    Better fuel pump
    Maft pro ( finally made up m mind on this :))

Here are a few pics

If Iam missing anything then post it up... Iam really second guessing my pipeing setup especially since I want to go with a maft now...
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Looking good. Glad there are more MAFT users. I don't know how you're doing your IC setup, but you might want to look into a J-pipe since Mitsu has it facing the WRONG WAY :| .

The only other thing I could say is switch to a Wideband A/F.

Keep us updated on the progress :mrgreen: .
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

bro good work man, we have to make sure the next south florida meet we get together.
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)