The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replaceing lower arm bushings. How to?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Replaceing lower arm bushings. How to?

After reading the sticky at the top of this section about steering wheel vibrations, I decided to purchase some lower arm bushings as recommended.

Now, I've run into very mixed information as to the installation procedure and the purpose of replacing them in the first place.

Having all that in mind, I'm definately going to take my car to a real alignment shop to have them check out everything.

However, in the mean time, I have these bushings sitting around, and if it's possible to put them in (without breaking out a blow torch) I'd really like to.

The bushings only ran me $10, so I'm not worried about wasting my money on them if they don't help, or if I can't put them in.

Reguardless, if it is do-able, I'd like to try and put these in just because it would be stupid to not even try at this point.

Any advice, links, or general information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

I was hoping to work on this over the weekend.

Thanks.

PM'd.

i believe you're looking for something like this

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Thanks guys.

I'm no longer in a huge hurry to replace the bushings.

After a couple weeks of playing airm chair mechanic, and just speculating about the problem, I was finally able to jack the car up and take a look at things this weekend.

I just bought the car so their are things I wasn't sure about as far as previous maintenance, etc. The car did have brand spanking new tires, so I assumed the wheels had just been balanced too.

Well, after jacking it up and pulling the wheels I noticed a couple glaringly obvious problems.

1) missing 1 lug nut and half of a stud

2) NONE of the wheels had balancing weights on them.

So, instead of tearing the car apart to change a couple bushings, I decided to fix the obvious problems before starting to get picky.

This morning I went and had the wheels balanced. As you might guess they were WAY off. The guy said one was a full 2oz off.

I took it for a test drive and my problems are now 95% gone. The car's not necessarily smooth as silk, but for all intents and purposes the wheel vibration problem's gone.

I still need to replace the stud/lug, but it needs breaks anyway, so I figured I'd wait till I got around to doing that and get it all done at once.

Down the road I might get nit picky and decide to try the new bushings. But for now I'm satisfied with the way it rides.

Thanks for all the help and input.

all good info . Much more information than most posters provide here on this forum.

thanks guest!