The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question About a Swap

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    GalntGripr

Question About a Swap

I havent been in a galant in a while.. i drive a 1.8 talon now.. I need to make it go faster lol. I dont really like the 2.0's and i remembered how much i liked the sohc galnt engine. Would it be possible to swap in a sohc 4G64 from a galant. The guys are the board i frequent for help with the 1.8 arent responding and remembered some very knowledgable people here from when i used to drive a 7g.. Help would be much appreciatted. thanks guys

why dont you like the 2.0?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

yeah man the 2.0L has some what of more potential than the 2.4L SOHC. If anything try and convert the 2.4L to a DOHC, that will give you more power if anything but man you are looking to spend at least $700-$1000 to do this swap.

Its better just getting the turbo 63t
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    what's with all this 2liter love? 2.0L < 2.4L. period. a turbo strapped to both of them just puts the 2.4L further away from the 2liter. now the engine's ability to handle the power is a different story....

i'm pretty sure you can swap in the 4g64 into any 2g since the motor mounts are the same all the way around. the 2g spyder is a galant in an eclipse's skin, same engine bay. lots of 2gers do it so i know it's doable for sure
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

GalntGripr
    i remember peanotation's posts being alot of help when i had my galant - thanks man.. however im talkin about swapping the 1.8 out of my 1g talon not 2g.. would that be possible? i know alot of guys use the 4g64 blocks with their 2.0 heads so i was thinkin u should be able to jus swap in the whole engine?

GalntGripr
    oh and i dont like 2.0's cus i think the sohc's are more reliable.. also the 2.0turbo guys are quite cocky and i'd like to do something different with the talon and smoke some of these guys :mg: ..i got nothin against them tho its a jus a preference really..

but back on topic ---> can a 4g64 be swapped into a 1g talon? and if so what is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by GalntGripr
    oh and i dont like 2.0's cus i think the sohc's are more reliable.. also the 2.0turbo guys are quite cocky and i'd like to do something different with the talon and smoke some of these guys :mg: ..i got nothin against them tho its a jus a preference really..

but back on topic ---> can a 4g64 be swapped into a 1g talon? and if so what is needed?
    Yes, it's possible. Or if you wanna get super one-off, you can turbo the 1.8L You just need to find a bit of unobtanium in the form of a g32b turbo manifold and the front turbo off a 3kgt VR-4.

If you go the 4g64 route, you'd be looking for a 1g one ideally (I think an Expo would be the ticket) That way you don't have to go through the hassle of swapping the entire wiring harness Otherwise, it should be a straight bolt-in
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

GalntGripr
    ok.. so the 4G64 out of a galant will line up with my 5spd tranny that is now meshed with my 1.8 liter sohc in my 1g?

All I would need would be the engine, acessories, and wiring harness?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GalntGripr)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok.. so the 4G64 out of a galant will line up with my 5spd tranny that is now meshed with my 1.8 liter sohc in my 1g?

All I would need would be the engine, acessories, and wiring harness?</div>

I think it'll bolt up to your trans, but I'm not 100% sure.

The biggest problem you'll run into is going from a 1g setup (with the crappy old MAS and other old style sensors) to a new engine, so you'll have to swap out the entire wiring harness and ECU. It's do-able but a LOT of work. That's why I recommended a 1g 4g64. You might have fuel pump problems also since you're increasing displacement by over half a liter. Otherwise, the 1.8 engine is not hugely different from the 2.4
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

the fuel pump will flow just fine.

all the sensors will swap over too.
    you just use the existing sensors from your current setup.

the easiest and probably cheapest thing for you to do would be get the old g64s motor out of a older hyundai elantra. they are already 6 bolt and setup for your drivers side motor mount.

the 7 bolt motors out of a 94-98 galant won't work for you because the motors mounts(roll stop mounts in the front and rear) bolt to the tranny. on the 1g/6g cars, the front and rear motor mounts bolt to the transmission. so if you were to run the 94-98 7 bolt motor, you would be running it with only the side motor mounts on(and you'd have to redo the drovers side mount to be compadable)
    which of course would mean every time you shift gears the motor willl literally flop around like a limp dick in your engine bay.

so you are limited to the 6 bolt 2.4l blocks
    which will bolt up with no modification to your current head(you will need a 94-98 7 bolt timing belt though cause the deck is a few mm taller)

also its to your advangtage to run the 6 bolt 2.4 because they come standard with the BEEFY 1g 6 bolt turbo rods. the exact same rods that i run in my 6 bolt 4g63t. good for 400whp

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

GalntGripr
    i want the whole engine dohcstunr... not jus the block.. im lookin for more power.. if the block fits so will the head right?.. how much power does the 1g 4g64

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GalntGripr)</div><div class='quotemain'>i want the whole engine dohcstunr... not jus the block.. im lookin for more power.. if the block fits so will the head right?.. how much power does the 1g 4g64</div>

yeah perhaps.

not sure on the power honestly. probably the same as the 7g.

but you have to remember, that the 7g's rated 140 hp is only referring to peak power. you will get a nice wide and torquey powerband with a 4g64.

pretty much all the sensors are going to be the same.

if not...
    like lets say the fittigns on the water kneck are different,
    then you just take the water kneck off your old head and bolt it to the new head.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

GalntGripr
    so a 1g 4g64 comes in which cars?