The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbocharging a JDM Galant

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Turbocharging a JDM Galant

Hi,

I know most of you are zooming around in USMs with muscular v6ers, big CC motors. My ride is only a pathetic JDM with a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) 2000cc 4Cyc engine with stock 4AT. 145HP but i bet less than 80 at the wheels....

It is said that these GDI tech engines cannot be turboed as the compression ratios are already quite high in stock form. Just wondering if there are any international peeps out there running around on JDMs with GDI engines that can offer any advise on turbocharging or supercharging our rides.

Well, related advice from the USM cousins would be more than welcomed too. Thanks yo!

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Anything can be turbocharged my friend. With a higher compression motor, it just means that you wont be able to run as much boost and your tune has to be more accurate.

Nobody here in the US has experience with those motors and I know they are a lot different then our motors. What is the engine code for your motor?
    7g for life!

from what i understand, gdi engines can run under much much more lean conditions.

i think i remember that they can run as lean as 16:1 a/f ratio.
    since the fuel does a much better job of cooling the pistons and intake charge being directly injected.

with that said. gdi engines perhaps could run more boost at a higher compression ratio than other engines.

but again, its ALL in the tune.

but undoubtedly i bet you could make a lot of power.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Ah yes, I remember watching a video on GDI and it did say they run in a lot leaner conditions from the factory. Your best bet is to find a shop that is well educated on GDI engines as they would be able to give you better answers.
    7g for life!

thanks guys for the input. A ray of hope at last. Cos over here in SG, there aint no workshops who do turbos for GDIs. Most prob will have to look at the neighbouring countries.

Sad to say, there is no such thing as a turboed galant over here other than the few VR4s running around. I hope to build the first GDI one here. Erm, any of you can provide any links to JDM forums? Been to alot of galant forums, but most members drive USMs. yet to find a decent JDM forum.

TGC Regular
    indeed what proto posted.
    Donovan J.

Need something from england..or other eastern nations holla...
    I dont mind looking.

Car: Toyota Soarer GT-T Jspec "Limited"
    Galant: at home chillaxen :(