The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Changing the Trans. Fluid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 24 of 24
    I'll be the First To Admit.. I've never done a galant.

but.. typically

go around, starting with the "back" of the pan, and come forward, do the fluid falls away From you..*this is key*

then, scrape the gasket off (i'm Assuming it's RTV) using a Razor (this works for paper gaskets, Too)

let the damn thing drip forever.. replae the Filter, and make sure it's mounted correctly.

clean off the pan(remove metal shavings) and put the magnet back (or, get one, if you dont' have one yet)

make Sure your mating surfaces Are clean, and dry.
    re-apply RTV, or paper Gasket.(thin bead of RTV.. not big globs (chunks of RTV in your tranny is not Good)

zip it all back up (careful, tranny is aluminum, and *WILL* strip)
    allow for RTV to cure, and be on your way.

of course... Re-fill your tranny with fluid... and if you have The time.. remove teh Tranny cooler lines, and blow them out with compressed air.. (not too much, Though, and in both directions)
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

HiperSilver
    i dotn think i over tightened it, but tonite im gonna drain the pain, remove it again and check wtf is wrong

will i need to buy a new gasket or wat? or can i still use that one

first..
    do NOT use any type of "liquid" gasket or RTV. this trans was not designed for that.
    second..
    do NOT use any aftermarket gasket. anything you get from NAPA or the like will probably be some horseshit cork gasket. cork is about the most idiotic material to make a gasket out of, because ITS POROUS! leave it to stupid american designers to make gaskets out of cork.

get a mitsu gasket , and use that. as i stated, you probably tweaked the pan a bit. the bolts are to be tighted to 14 INCH pounds, and no more. that means everyone elses ideas about "just tighted the bolts" are really bad ideas. if its leaking and the bolts are snug, tightening them further will do nothing but bend the pan more.

what you have to do is remove the pan and make sure the sealing surface is totally flat. its easy to distort as its just stamped steel, which is why you dont tighted these bolts past spec.

HiperSilver
    aight, dropped the pan, got a gasket, sorry to say it was a fram gasket but it was better quality than some generic crap at autozone, i pulled the pan, scrapped everythign, but what i saw was fromt he area where it was dripping the gasket was ripped around the screw part, which is a good reason of what might have occured, i put some ligued gasket aroudn the bol holes, popped it back up, no leaks so far, tommarow morning ill check, thanks all for your help, this topic should be a sticky, a lot of good info in here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12