The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: my 5spd swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 32

my 5spd swap

well i had a posting on the temp TGC......so far everything is going well....the only problem is the freaking shipping from JAZZPROPARTS.....what happen: i ordered on jun 29 and it suppose to get here today july 7....i called them and you know what they said??"sorry sir, we haven't shipped your order since we dont have the alignment tool".......<span style='font-size:30pt;line-height:100%'>WTF</span><span style='font-size:19pt;line-height:100%'>.......they aslso said</span> that they wont have any in stock untill monday and i should have my kit byt next friday or the following monday.........now i have to cancel all my plans for next week since i wouldn't have the car ready....THIS BLOWS.....that's the only thing that is slowing the swap down....right not the galant is just waiting to get out back together.....i wish i just got the clutch from ebay since my flywheel came in like 2 days after i paid for it...

[/img]
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You just need the alignment tool? I have two of them. Try going to AutoZone or Advance Auto, might have one there.
    7g for life!

yeah i have a couple too.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

alignment tool are universal right??? i got them to send me the clutch, throw out berring and pressure plate.... it should get here on monday....but without the tool...
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(da1085)</div><div class='quotemain'>alignment tool are universal right??? i got them to send me the clutch, throw out berring and pressure plate.... it should get here on monday....but without the tool...</div>
    all that matter is if the spline count is correct and of course the outer diameter of the tool cause i'm sure inp[ut shafts vary in size
    so...
    lets say not universal

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

damn.....well im hoping that the alignment tool for a 97 galant will work with act 2100.....i checked the part number and the 97 galant and 98 eclipse gst shared the same tool....since the flywheel and slutch assembly are from eclipse gst my guess is it will work.....but thats me guessing....what do you guys think??
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

94-96 Galant/90-99 Eclipse shate the same clutch/spline count
    7g for life!

wait.....what's the difference with the 94-96 manual then the 97-98 manual??? so far the axles match.....flyweel......clutch.......im just wondering if the 97-98 are different..
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(da1085)</div><div class='quotemain'>wait.....what's the difference with the 94-96 manual then the 97-98 manual??? Â*so far the axles match.....flyweel......clutch.......im just wondering if the 97-98 are different..</div>
    no i think he just made a mistake
    i think he meant 94-98

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

ok......jazz called me today and they told me somethings i didnt want to hear......they said that my clutch kit will not get here untill wednesday.......extra 2 days......WFT.......im serioously conidering of buying it from somewhere else but then i would have to pay to cancle my order.......this really blows......i've done everythig i can do to waste time on this swap.....i've waited a full week and some.....it should had been done like last week but because of their stupidity it's going to stay on hold.....my new gasket leaked because the motor was never turned on and the cork gasket never seal the gaps......now i have to buy some new gaskets for the top and the oil pan to replace the new one i installed......god this shipping problem is causing me more money that shouldn't even be used....
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

There are about 30 "common" clutch alignment tools. My shop has a master set just in case a clutch kit dosen't come with one. Pretty much all the 4gXX series engines use the same alignment tool.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98ACR)</div><div class='quotemain'>There are about 30 "common" clutch alignment tools. My shop has a master set just in case a clutch kit dosen't come with one. Pretty much all the 4gXX series engines use the same alignment tool.</div>
    tell me about it.....when they told me this past friday (the day it was suppose to be at my house) that they still have the clutch kit at their store, i was pissed....then i got hold of my self and ask them why and when they told me the reason why they haven't shipped is becuase of the alignment tool i just hung up.....then i called them back after i hitting the punching bag and talked to them....that heavy bag that i have has been seeing me lately because of this senario....i told them to ship the kit here and send me the tool when they come in.....reason for that is so they'll have to pay for an extra shipping because of their dumb stupid actions.....also i know i can get the alignment tool at any autozone or advance auto parts.......it's just a stupid reason for an roder to be half a week late (one and a half week total) for it to get to texas......
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

jojo85
    im waiting myself on a couple of parts. Hold ups suck realy bad. Good luck!!!

ok.....i've been done with the swap for about 2 weeks now.....1st week was fun since i was learning how to drive manual.....but then the 2nd week i sarted becoming really picky about the little things

first, my slave cylinder gave up on me so i replaced it with a new one...

second, my clutch disengagement is way down (hitting the floor) and my engagement is a little bit higher (farther from the floor)....i've driven about 350 miles as off today..

third, i changed out the underhood bushings with some skate board bearing.......i also installed a short shifter.....the problem is when i first start the car, it's impossible to get into any gear with out grinding them....my oil is new....it's like it wont let me get into gear and when i force it, it makes like a rrrrrrrrttttt sound but it doesnt come from the gears......once i have it in gear and decides to go through all of them, it goes as fallow:

neutral->1st=hard to get into
    1st->2nd=locks then hard to get into 2nd
    2nd->3rd=ok shift but sometimes make the rrrrrttttt sound
    3rd->4th= easy to get in but sometimes make the sound
    4th->5th= easy no problem

neautral->reverse=really scary since it grinds 3 out 7 times.

the whole shifting sometimes are scary since they will grind.....but the grinding stops after acouple of miles driving...

is it possible to put too much tranny oil.....i stopped putting oil once it started flowing out of the oil hole(hole that had "oil" written on it)

well i hope you guys can help me with this problem....

also what can i do to make the disengagement farther from the floor?? i want it to move closer to the driver since it will shorten the amount of effort and time to press the pedal down and shift...

i hope you guys can help me.

oh and just to add more info, i might need a tutorial to put the KYB AGX since i ordered a set (front and back)....maybe some wrote one up but then i couldn't find it for the 7G....

thanks.
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

First things I would do would be to make sure that the clutch is bled, re-bleed it just to be sure. For the pedal adjustment, check out RREs site:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/clutcha...lywheeltech.htm

2G
    Loosen the lock nut on the adjuster rod and you'll be able to rotate the rod by hand. If getting the right free play off the floor makes it so that you loose the free play at the top of the pedal travel, you will need to adjust the upper travel stop. The upper travel stop is the cruise control switch.
    7g for life!

i did the adjustments and it did help the engagement a little bit but then im still having the shifter issue.....any ideas why it's happening?
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

well i drove the car today and it felt good driving it.....gears fall into place(2nd is kinda tricky when punching it).....i have my clutch peal setting as close to the driver as possible....now, i just kick and shift(something like it).....the master cylinder adjuster is set on only 4 turns from the starting threading....i love it!!!now i just need to improve my timing on shifts....
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

Bleed the clutch some more? OEM hydrolic line or SBR SS line?
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(da1085)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i drove the car today and it felt good driving it.....gears fall into place(2nd is kinda tricky when punching it).....i have my clutch peal setting as close to the driver as possible....now, i just kick and shift(something like it).....the master cylinder adjuster is set on only 4 turns from the starting threading....i love it!!!now i just need to improve my timing on shifts....</div>

its not completely about timing.

don't ERVER powershift.

ever.

ever.

i'm serious.
    even if it doesn't grind its a bad thing on our trannies.

rev fast, and shift slow.

it doesn't have to be a grany shifft,
    but you need to shift in a easy positive way.

NEVER force it, if its difficult to get it into the next gear its because yoru synchros are locking you out. they do this for a reason.

just shift smooth and let the power do the work for you.

i'm serious.

also helps a TON
    to do the ball bearing shift mod, and get the energy suspension shifter base bushigns.

and prothane motor mounts seal the deal.
    you will never miss a shift again.

but trust me on this.

speed shift and you can say goodbye to your tranny

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

well im scared to force the car to shift but it lets me go to gear like it's teaching me how to shift......i really like how it feels now......i did the skate board bearing and my shifter assembly is really stiff....i still havent miss a shift after the mods....now my clutch pedal is so sensitive that i only have to move it a little to disengage...if i got half way, the engine is way disengaged by then.....i love it....today i tried to improve my shift time and learning that i dont have to force the shifts....im using SBR lines by the way and loving it since my pedal is really responsive and not spongy....i bled the car to perfection.....thanks guys for everything....can you guys give me more hint to improve the swap??

also can someone point me to the direction for a AGX INSTALLATION TUTORIAL???
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast