The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: all motor (Project on hold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

all motor (Project on hold)

im contemplating building up my galant to be an all motor beast with triple valve sprigs radical cams and even a stroker bottom end.
    my quetion is what kind ofpower can i expect out of a SOHC or DOHC 4G64? i am using these replys to decide wether it is worth the money to buy a DOHC head my freind is selling

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    not buying the DOHC head would be a mistake. you're going to be seriously held back with that asmatic sohc head
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Proto
    big diff in DOHC vs SOHC. trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Proto
    big diff in DOHC vs SOHC. trust me.
    Until you port the SOHC head, than they flow the same
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    But with a SOHC, you wont see the benifits a DOHC will with a nice set of cams and adjustable gears. Will have a much better powerband.
    7g for life!

sohc's are limited. because no matter what, you are either going to make power down low, in the middle OR up top. but its not easy to make mucho power all motor across the hwole band

with dohc you can tune the power across the board.
    and if porting is allowed, a ported dohc will outflow a ported sohc any day.

not to mention there is a greater variety of aftermarket cams for the dohc.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

galant_got_speed
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    sohc's are limited. because no matter what, you are either going to make power down low, in the middle OR up top. but its not easy to make mucho power all motor across the hwole band

with dohc you can tune the power across the board.
    and if porting is allowed, a ported dohc will outflow a ported sohc any day.

not to mention there is a greater variety of aftermarket cams for the dohc.
    i can vouch for the powerband statement! i hate having a single cam engine...i lose to neons because my powerband sucks. my friends DOHC 2 liter neon has a better powerband than my car and it pisses me off, cuz he pulls on me until we hit like 115mph..by then the race is over!! :x

GGS when are you gonna realize that you car is not fast? Yes you will lose but.............. you'll look much better doing it. Neons are ugly frog looking things imo. 7g>8g>Neons
    Think about it like this

Is your car fast? NO
    Can you make it fas?.Yes
    Do you need a better job? Yes
    Does you car look worse than a neon? NO

So just think about that the NEXT time you lose

Back on topic: Yes a DOHC headswap is a must

galant_got_speed
    HEY HEY HEY

my name is galant_GOT_speed...my car is fucking fast OK!

i wish i had the cash for that budget turbo kit from tearstone, it would more than satisfy my needs...but then theres all the installation fees...tranny cooler...FMIC...replacement of fucking blown parts a week after i get the thing on my car...itd be too much. oh well, i still have my pride...or whats left of it.

PS. since were on the topic and my lazy ass doesnt want to search...is there a horsepower gain from the DOHC headswap? im assuming there is...also whats the estimated cost of such a mod?

Quote Originally Posted by galant_got_speed
    i can vouch for the powerband statement! i hate having a single cam engine...i lose to neons because my powerband sucks. my friends DOHC 2 liter neon has a better powerband than my car and it pisses me off, cuz he pulls on me until we hit like 115mph..by then the race is over!! :x
    GGS i know how that feel.....my friend got rifd of his neon and bought a stratus I4....i have a challenge waiting....well he said i'll have until i break my clutch in....it's a four door so i think it will be a good race...

about the topic: 2 cams is always better than 1 right....well most of the time and i think this is one of them....
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

PS. since were on the topic and my lazy ass doesnt want to search...is there a horsepower gain from the DOHC headswap? im assuming there is...also whats the estimated cost of such a mod?
    Well I know that on the 7g the DOHC engine is making around 20 more hp then the Sohc

Quote Originally Posted by gravy

Well I know that on the 7g the DOHC engine is making around 20 more hp then the Sohc
    and thats just PEAK power difference.
    through out the power band you will be making more power at every rpm.

so... lets say that at wot the sohc makes 120 hp at 400 rpms... if you compared dyno sheets the dohc could be making 128 or 130 hp at that same rpm...

more pull throughout the powerband.
    and those are just the stock numbers,
    with a little tuning you can make even more power.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    i think you should keep ur block and get a dual head.. best thing to do.. imo.. our rods are pretty tite and imagine a dual head opn it... dohc is good for one thing cam power and another it will hold better and get more o2 from a trubo than a sohc..

on an 8g the head swap is just mecanical.. the ignition stays the same..
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I still want to see somebody build a budget block. 1g big rods, 2g turbo pistons, some arp fasteners, dohc head. Heck I think thats going to be my next motor. Screw $3000 built blocks. I want a 2.4L block/head that will handle 450whp that will cost under $1000. I think I can do it
    7g for life!

Virginia (If I showed you where I live, you would think I was hiding)
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    I still want to see somebody build a budget block. 1g big rods, 2g turbo pistons, some arp fasteners, dohc head. Heck I think thats going to be my next motor. Screw $3000 built blocks. I want a 2.4L block/head that will handle 450whp that will cost under $1000. I think I can do it
    How are you gonna do that under $1000? The head, pistons, rings, rods, and valvetrain are probably gonna run well over $1000. Well, I'll look at it this way, if you can do it for the 7G, then I'll do it for the 8G. Well, actually, I've been looking for a DOHC head for a while. No luck though.

To Be Missed....... Otto Racing WAI, K&N Air Filter, Otto Racing Performance Muffler, Header, GReddy Voltage Stabilizer, Strut Bar, APC Aluminum Shifter, Painted Calipers, M3 Mirrors, Optix Headlight Strobes, Audiovox 7.5" DVD Player/Monitor, JVC SD11 Headunit, Pioneer Premier 6x9s, Pioneer Premier 6 1/2s, 12' Rockford Fosgate Punch HX, Lanzar 1200W Amp.

well my freind has a good DOHC head off a 2g eclipse he is willing to part with for about $450 it is in good chape other than the timing gears which i was going to replace anyway. so is that a green light from everybody on the DOHC?

Quote Originally Posted by frag_daddy_2007
    well my freind has a good DOHC head off a 2g eclipse he is willing to part with for about $450 it is in good chape other than the timing gears which i was going to replace anyway. so is that a green light from everybody on the DOHC?
    thatsd too much
    you can buy a good 1g or even a 2g head for under or around 200 bucks on dsmtuners

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    prolly even an evo engine plus tranny in manila for about $1500... hehehehe.. :twisted: kinda looking around right now for that great evo engine myself..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mitsuree8thgen)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>I still want to see somebody build a budget block. Â*1g big rods, 2g turbo pistons, some arp fasteners, dohc head. Â*Heck I think thats going to be my next motor. Â*Screw $3000 built blocks. Â*I want a 2.4L block/head that will handle 450whp that will cost under $1000. Â*I think I can do it </div>

How are you gonna do that under $1000? The head, pistons, rings, rods, and valvetrain are probably gonna run well over $1000. Well, I'll look at it this way, if you can do it for the 7G, then I'll do it for the 8G. Well, actually, I've been looking for a DOHC head for a while. No luck though.</div>
    well he already has the head,
    he already has the arp studs
    he already has the rods
    all he woudl need is the 6 bolt 2.4l block(can get those in GREAT shape for only 300 bucks)
    then just has to slap in some 2g pistons(you can get topline oem pistons for 150 bucks with rings pins and locks)
    then prep the block and assemble

done

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast