The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbo help for a V6

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    mustangcobrasvt98

Turbo help for a V6

Im looking to turbo my 2002 V6. I've been reading alot of posts and the popular turbo seems to be the t3/t4 or 16g. I want something that will give me the power but still be able to daily drive highway.
    I looked into using the twin turbo setup from a 3000GT VR4 but im not sure how easy it is to tune the 2 turbos together much less where to source parts. And a mitsu dealer wants 1500 a peice per turbo(header ad turbo). So for those of you who know turbo well, please help this galant get boosted. Oh...and for those with turbos, do you use the OEM MAF sensor or an aftermarket/other mitsu MAF? Thanks.

I'm pretty happy with the T3/T4 .50 trim I'm using - very nice respose starting at ~3000-3500 RPM.

You can use a GM MAF with a MAF-T translator, similar to what to 3KGT guys use:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Originally Posted by jbasol
    The ever popular MAF Translator, specifically the one for the 2G DSM/3000GT.

It will work with either the 3.0", 3.5", or 3.75" GM MAFs.

So once you have these, the first step is to wire it up.

The following chart will assist you in getting it connected correctly:

MAF-T........STOCK MAS HARNESS
    Pink...............Red
    Green............White/Green
    Black.............Black
    Brown............Red/Blue
    Grey..............Green/White

There are two wires on the stock MAS harness that won't be connected to anything. A Green/Yellow, and a Green/Blue.

The White wire from the MAFT is used for RPM mode adjustments. It should be connected to the CAS Signal wire if you choose to use the RPM mode.

The Purple wre from the MAFT is the AUX trigger. It is used to adjust the airflow adjustment based on a trigger signal (a nitrous solenoid for example).

I have found that the 3G MAS seems to be closer to the 3000GT MAS vs. the 2G DSM MAS as far as curve goes. So I have mine set for a 3000GT with stock (360cc) injectors. This maps a basically 1:1 airflow map.

Base Dial = 2
    Aux Dial = 8

You will need to adjust your Idle, Mid, and WOT dials to attain propper fuel trims or tune.

The purpose for doing this is to run a airmetering device that allows configuration in blow through design (for forced induction), and to replace a rather restrictive Karmen Vortex type sensor.

The MAFT can also be used to adjust the airlow signal the way a AFC would. The differnce being that the MAFT can make these adjustments based on airflow OR throttle position, where the AFC allows only adjustments based on throttle position.

I've posted this info in GT/GTS general rather than FI because the setup could be used by an NA car. Most people looking to do this are likely going to be looking for a way to switch from a suck through airmeter to a blow through airmeter. Despite RIPPs kit using the stock MAS in blow through fashion, it is not a good idea, as Karmen sensors behave irratically when pressurized.

To answer the other question, no, a Ford MAF will not work with the MAFT. If you hate GM so much as to desire running a Ford MAF, you will need to look to the ARC-2 from Split Second. It's cost is about $1000 though, vs. the $299 for the MAFT. It will provide the almost the same function (no RPM based adjustments on the ARC2 however), it just costs over 3 times the price.</div>

Tearstone
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DryBear)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm pretty happy with the T3/T4 .50 trim I'm using - very nice respose starting at ~3000-3500 RPM.</div>

Unless you swapped your turbo out or someone else posting under your userID but you have a T4.

Tearstone

Re: Turbo help for a V6

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mustangcobrasvt98)</div><div class='quotemain'>Im looking to turbo my 2002 V6. Â*I've been reading alot of posts and the popular turbo seems to be the t3/t4 or 16g. I want something that will give me the power but still be able to daily drive highway. Â*
    I looked into using the twin turbo setup from a 3000GT VR4 but im not sure how easy it is to tune the 2 turbos together much less where to source parts. Â*And a mitsu dealer wants 1500 a peice per turbo(header ad turbo). Â*So for those of you who know turbo well, please help this galant get boosted. Â*Oh...and for those with turbos, do you use the OEM MAF sensor or an aftermarket/other mitsu MAF? Â*Thanks.</div>

The 16G is only popular since a certain kit sold on turbokits.com uses that turbo, does not necessarily mean that it's the best for the engine.

The T3/T04e was made popular by those of us running legacy xtech kits. While it's a nicely sized turbo, it's still risky to run on a stock engine but spools pretty quickly and pulls nice to redline but these turbos are only good for about 450 horse.

Enter the latest production kits that we offer with a straight T4. These turbos are big enough to provide safety (with a good tune) also will follow you into once you get your engine built to 600 horse.

Now I will speak from experience now that I'm ready to upgrade my engine on my own personal vehicle, I have been using a Precision SC50 T3/T04e for about 3 years now and 40K miles. But if I want to take advantage of the engine rebuild and increase volumetric efficiency the T4 is a great way to go even though the kit that is on my car now has a lot of sentimental value to it .

But, that's just our experience in a nutshell. The stock 6G72 is an extremely delicate engine when it comes to the pistons. It only takes detonating it twice before you have to get it rebuilt. It's best that regardless of what you want to do with the engine is to at least replace the pistons in the engine

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tearstone)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DryBear)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm pretty happy with the T3/T4 .50 trim I'm using - very nice respose starting at ~3000-3500 RPM.</div>

Unless you swapped your turbo out or someone else posting under your userID but you have a T4.</div>

Hmm, all this time I thought it was a T3/T4 :oops:

mustangcobrasvt98
    Thanks for the help, Ive been looking at engine internals at the same time. I knew the stock pistons and con rods would need to be replaced. As for the MAS, I have an adapter and spacer that i got thats a 4" inlet that bolts up to it. Would running a turbo pipe to the 4" inlet to a 3" pipe after the MAS make anything run wierd? I could take pics if you want to see it. Theadapter is aluminum but the spacer is plastic though, wanna try to get it machined someday with gaskets in it. Work pretty well with a CAI right now. Let me know if it would work. Thanks.

Tearstone
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mustangcobrasvt98)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks for the help, Ive been looking at engine internals at the same time. I knew the stock pistons and con rods would need to be replaced. Â*As for the MAS, I have an adapter and spacer that i got thats a 4" inlet that bolts up to it. Â*Would running a turbo pipe to the 4" inlet to a 3" pipe after the MAS make anything run wierd? Â*I could take pics if you want to see it. Â*Theadapter is aluminum but the spacer is plastic though, wanna try to get it machined someday with gaskets in it. Â*Work pretty well with a CAI right now. Let me know if it would work. Â*Thanks.</div>

The con rods do not need to be replaced unless you plan on putting down some serious power.

Careful with the piping around the MAS, this may cause some issues with proper readings. But the MAS piping is a very small portion of the overall picture of all the other piping that is required to put together a turbo kit for the V6.