The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: balance shaft delete what is this

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

balance shaft delete what is this

ok been tryin to figure out what this is an why getin rid of it is a good thing any body help.
    95' ES "Diamond"

its not good for anything except making your car vibrate like a harley.

theyre there for a reason. the people that remove them often sight "more horsepower" as a reason, but its total bunk. You MAY gain .2 HP by removing them.
    Others say it reduces weight. Also bunk, as each shaft only weighs 2 pounds.
    some say more reliability. Bunk again, as I havent seen a balance shaft issue on a car with regular oil changes in 15 years.

basically, all you would do is make your daily driver much more "buzzy" and loud.

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    I havent seen a balance shaft issue on a car with regular oil changes in 15 years.
    I have a leak at my balance shaft seals, does that count as a Problem?

Otherwise, I agree...leave 'em alone. The 2.4L needs all the vibration dampning it can get
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Eh if its not an all out race car there really isnt a point. I dont think the gains are worth the vibration in a dailey driver, especially if its NA to begin with. I removed mine, didnt notice a difference except a bit more vibration. But I have solid mounts so the vibration was there to begin with.

And I weighed my parts from the delete, it was about 6 lbs which is a descent weight saving off the rotating mass. Would make the difference between a lightweight and oem flyhwel.
    7g for life!

I got a rebuild and mine came without a balance shaft i.e balance shaft delete. The vibrations are NOT going to rattle you to death and as a matter of fact most of the time you dont even notice. You can adjust the throttle a little to even out some of that vibration as well. Not to far though because you dont want to put too much stress on the tranny under load. Ask Reelax, he has been in my car and couldnt really tell that I had no balance shaft. I agree...sisnt notice any HP gains or anything but I feel better knowing that stupid thing will NOT snap and fuck up my engine...again!

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nius (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>I got a rebuild and mine came without a balance shaft i.e balance shaft delete. The vibrations are NOT going to rattle you to death and as a matter of fact most of the time you dont even notice. You can adjust the throttle a little to even out some of that vibration as well. Not to far though because you dont want to put too much stress on the tranny under load. Ask Reelax, he has been in my car and couldnt really tell that I had no balance shaft. I agree...sisnt notice any HP gains or anything but I feel better knowing that stupid thing will NOT snap and fuck up my engine...again!</div>

I disagree... I can tell when a car is missing its balance shafts when im standing NEXT to it and its revved up, much less inside.

the amplitude of the harmonics are increased about 5 times.

but if it doesnt bug you, so be it. I personally hate it.

I am telling you...on mine anyway, the vibrations are negligable at best! Peano, Reelax, and a couple others have seen and been in the car. They will tell you, you can barely tell on my ride. When the car is running and you are standing next to it you cant even tell its on!

Experienced TGC Member
    Been a long time since I posted here...

barely noticed the vibrations on my 2.4 galant and same with my 2.0 talon. Never had anyone complain who drove with me.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Been a long time since I posted here...

barely noticed the vibrations on my 2.4 galant and same with my 2.0 talon. Â*Never had anyone complain who drove with me.</div>

OMG...he's alive!!! 8)

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

phizz2k
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Been a long time since I posted here...

barely noticed the vibrations on my 2.4 galant and same with my 2.0 talon. Â*Never had anyone complain who drove with me.</div>

Hey jip how are ya... Nice to see you around...

i have zero complaints

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    same old shit...hackin n wackin the car apart. Between car, work and gf I have no time to post =)
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I've personally seen a 4G64 with a RIPP Stage1 kit, the motor and car was maintained perfectly, like oil changes every 2,000 miles. The motor had about 18k on it and spun a balance shaft bearing, which caused the pulley to lock up and break the belt, of course the belt fell right on the T-belt and caused it to jump and blow the motor. The vibration is not that noticeable at idle, neither is the noise if you have any aftermarket exhaust or intake on the car your not gonna hear the noise over the noise from the intake or exhaust. On a BONE STOCK motor, I say leave them alone, but if you want more performance, ditch em. If mitsu believed in them soo much, they wouldnt have mass produced and sell a part specifically designed to eliminate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member
    They did not produce the parts to eliminate the balance shaft purposely. The parts used are mix and matched from other model engines and work to eliminate the shaft and seal up the hole.

It's not like mitsu suddenly said the front shaft is a bad idea and built a kit to eliminate it. It's one of those homebrew operations.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've personally seen a 4G64 with a RIPP Stage1 kit, the motor and car was maintained perfectly, like oil changes every 2,000 miles. The motor had about 18k on it and spun a balance shaft bearing, which caused the pulley to lock up and break the belt, of course the belt fell right on the T-belt and caused it to jump and blow the motor. The vibration is not that noticeable at idle, neither is the noise if you have any aftermarket exhaust or intake on the car your not gonna hear the noise over the noise from the intake or exhaust. On a BONE STOCK motor, I say leave them alone, but if you want more performance, ditch em. If mitsu believed in them soo much, they wouldnt have mass produced and sell a part specifically designed to eliminate it.</div>
    mitsu originated the balance shaft. in 1971.
    nearly every engine they have produced since has them in. and every automaker on the planet uses them also, even on engines with more than 4 cylinders (GMs 4.3, Fords V-10, any engine with natural imbalance, blah blah blah). All these other companies have had to pay mitsu for the right to use them. Hell, I have a balance shaft in my yamaha motorcycle.
    they are there because people like the elimination of vibration. You guys keep saying "its not noticable", but thats bunk. As I said, I can tell standing next to a car when the balance shafts are out of time or missing, and I for one dont feel like driving a noisey, shaking rattle trap when the technology is there to not. If you guys like it, thats fine. I hate it. Feels like backyard hacking to me. Mirrors blurring, constant "drumming" and "humming", harshness, etc.
    mitsu very much believes in them, and they dont sell the parts for people to remove them. most of those kits are aftermarket.
    they only fail if the engine has been neglected. in which case you cant blame the balance shaft, as its the owner fault if they drive 15000 miles without changing or checking the oil. You neglect an engine enough to have a shaft fail, then I garantee you have premature wear of other componants.
    incidently, the balance shaft elimination has been known to cause its own problems. aside from shaking every nut/blot loose on the engine, premature oil pump failure has happened due to the lack of support for the driven gear. The stub shaft installed in its place allows "wallowing" of the driven gear due to uneven loads.
    hell, I left them in the last eclipse build I did, which cranked out 385 horses at the front wheel.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>They did not produce the parts to eliminate the balance shaft purposely. Â*The parts used are mix and matched from other model engines and work to eliminate the shaft and seal up the hole.

It's not like mitsu suddenly said the front shaft is a bad idea and built a kit to eliminate it. Â*It's one of those homebrew operations.</div>

That is correct..my balance shafts were eliminated on my GVR4 from OEM Mirage parts. I see no noticable difference on the GVR4...if anything the motor is more "rev happy". Vibration is tolerable..not enough to bust my spine or irritate my kidneys. Also my motor mounts are filled.

I am not going to deny the fact of what Manybrews just posted..its fact and truth about what balance shafts are there for. I know a good dozen people that have their balance shafts eliminated and even a couple of guys that have had theirs elimated for 5+ years on the same motor w/o any problems with their 4G63's producing over 400+whp each. Its your own personal choice if you want to elimate them or not.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    mine went bad in high school for no reason and i'll challenge anyone to maintain their car better than i did. there arn't countless threads on nissan or toyota forums talking about balance shaft woes, because their's arn't a problem, for whatever reason. ask anyone on any dsm forum and they'll have heard or know about the faulty balance shaft of the 4g64

i've driven a few 4g64s without a balance shaft, and i have to say it's not bad, or even close to bad. even if the entire car was stock but the balance shafts were removed, i'd doubt you'd mind after a few days. it's not like the car turns into a humvee with solid motor mounts and vibrates to death after 2 miles of driving.

the eliminator kits, the good ones anyways, use an OEM mitsu stubby shaft to replace the balance shaft so the oiling groove still exists to prevent any problems.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Yeah mine wasnt a maintainence issue either! I always change my oil every 3000 miles and I had the belts change and examined an I still blew 2 motors because of that damn belt. to me, for reliability alone, the vibrations were worth it. I got it done and I see no big deal...you can stand next to my car and not even know its on until one of the engine fans kick in!