The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My manual journey begins...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 59

My manual journey begins...

So, as some of you may know, my auto tranny finally succumbed to the heat and mad powah! of boost, which was aided by my laziness to install a tranny cooler.

I was going back and forth debating wether to:
    stay auto, and get the tranny cooler in plus a high stall torque converter, but risk another failure as the *stock* auto tranny hasn't had much luck on the V6 galants.

or go manual - see I live in the San Francisco Bay area, with lots of traffic and lots of hills, so I've been pampered by having an automatic.

In the end, I felt going manual would be the better choice for me as:
    1. the auto tranny is a lot bigger, and comes *very* close to the turbo, almost touching it - there is barely any room there and I think may have also contributed to the auto tranny demise (read lots of heat from the turbo).
    2. better gas mileage
    3. more freed up horsepower

Yes, the last time I had to drive a stick was a rental car 6 years ago on my honeymoon in Tahiti, so I'm going to have to get used to it again.

Anyway, I just procured a manual transmission from an '02 Stratus coupe (the Dodge sister car to the 3G Eclipse) and hopefully that should arrive early next week.

Now I gotta source the other parts from other junk yards, as the one I got it from only had the transmission.

Shopping list:
    [r] used V6 manual transmission $675 Shipped (http://www.car-parts.com)
    [r] manual transmission mount (Local Dealership)[*] cylinder block plate (Thanks Russ!)[*] Spec Stage 2 Clutch Kit $349 (Club 3G Group Buy)[*] Fidanza Flywheel $344 (http://www.tearstone.com)
    [r] Clutch Hydraulic Line Assembly (Local Dealership)
    [r] new clutch master cylinder $64.94 (http://www.partsamerica.com)
    [r] new clutch slave cylinder $34.95 (http://www.partsamerica.com)[*] clutch, brake, and accelerator pedals $45 (http://www.msrecycling.com)[*] Megan Racing Short Shifter (Club 3G Group Buy)[*] manual shifter assembly $75 (http://www.msrecycling.com)[*] shifter cables $75 (http://www.msrecycling.com)[*] 2 new axle seals (Local Dealership)

o = On Order
    r = Received
    * = Installed

Sources/References:
    http://www.car-part.com
    RippMods.com - 6g72 5-spd manual Galant w/SDS
    TGC - Perfect 8g V6 Tranny Swap
    TGC - 8G Auto to Manual Conversion DONE!
    Club3g.com - Sporty to 5spd trannsmission swap
    1994-1998 Mitsubishi Galant Auto to Manual Transmission Conversion

Pic of complete swap parts from Tearstone:

Parts List thread:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...pic.php?t=49781

Re: My manual journey begins...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DryBear)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Yes, the last time I had to drive a stick was a rental car 6 years ago on my honeymoon in Tahiti, so I'm going to have to get used to it again.</div>

Don't worry, it's like riding a bike... at least it is for me. Lots of pedaling! Ahaha.. kidding, I kid. Seriously, I go for long times without manual transmissions and do fine... it's like a 60 second reacclimation period.

Edit: and congratulations! Lots of pictures when you get going, yes? Of course.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    your reasoning for going with the manual is just, not to mention the automatic weighs a lot more than the manual (weight savings right there) and the power transfer with an actual CLUTCH compared to a huge circular piece of shit some people refer to as a "torque converter" will give you a traction-twitchy 3rd with that turbo V6
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

can't you guys use the 5 sped brake pedal?
    isn't the spacing way off if you grind down the automatic pedal?

good luck. can't wait to see you tearing up the streets.

don't forget to add in

clutch line(slowboy makes one for the evo's / 3g now thats shorter and its full stainless fom master to slave)
    poly or brass shift plate bushings
    brass shifter cable bushings
    a liter of motul high temp brake or clutch fluid.
    <span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>LSD</span>

its so nice to have a turbo on hills.
    no need to downshift, just open it up a little.

its such a weird feeling how the turbo just balances out the load from the hill all on its own.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>can't you guys use the 5 sped brake pedal?
    isn't the spacing way off if you grind down the automatic pedal?</div>
    Yeah, we can, but right now I just want to get it all done before MOD. If it bothers me, I will go find a proper 5 speed brake pedal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>clutch line(slowboy makes one for the evo's / 3g now thats shorter and its full stainless fom master to slave)</div>

Is this the one?
    http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=1233&
    Does that work on the V6 3G/8G? Guess I will have to give them a call.
    *edit* called them up and asked if it would fit, and he said a local guy with a 2001 Galant used them and said they fit - anyone from here?

I do plan on getting an LSD, but thats about $1K later (no, I don't want an insert, either)

Experienced TGC Member
    Good luck dude. Like Matt said, your mos def making the right choice. After driving around my buddy's stick for a while, I must say it is addicting. I couldn't stop thinking about it for the next few days.

Thanks for the well wishes - the hardest part right now is trying to find all the parts in time before MOD :!:

call and ask them idf they ahve a different length one between the evo/3g and the 7g/2g.
    cause it would be lame if it was one length for both.
    would be VERY LONG

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I was talking to Russ at Tearstone a while back and he might have some parts laying around if he didnt sell them yet. Just trying to point you in the right direction.
    Love,
    Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VegasMatt)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was talking to Russ at Tearstone a while back and he might have some parts laying around if he didnt sell them yet. Â*Just trying to point you in the right direction.</div>

Thanks for the tip, but he already sold all the parts to someone else.

think you made the right call man. A turbo deserves to be mated with a manual transmission. I feel for ya on the hills and so on though. It took me at least a month to get used to the Eclipse after driving autos for the previous 5 or 6 years.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

Tearstone
    I do have a killer price on Fidanza lightweight flywheels and have one in stock ready to ship that you should get They do make a nice difference.

Kinda off topic guys but I always thought that the dead pedal was huge in the 8g and im rocking size 12s. Has this been an issue for anyone else that has done the swap? :?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AVERAGE)</div><div class='quotemain'>Kinda off topic guys but I always thought that the dead pedal was huge in the 8g and im rocking size 12s. Has this been an issue for anyone else that has done the swap? Â*:?</div>
    NOPE! I have all 4 pedals and its great
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I took the dead pedal out. As for the brake pedal, I just went to my local dealer, looked at a 5 speed 3G, measured the brake pedal, and cut my stock one to the same size using an air rotary cutter. Took about 20 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Not the deadpedal itself but that whole hump...

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Let me know if you need anything. You have my # right.

Did some research, and it looks like I should be okay with my current axles - the 02 and up 3G Eclipse/Stratus RT manual and auto axle are the same, and is apparently the same as the 8G Galant.

Tearstone
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DryBear)</div><div class='quotemain'>Did some research, and it looks like I should be okay with my current axles - the 02 and up 3G Eclipse/Stratus RT manual and auto axle are the same, and is apparently the same as the 8G Galant.</div>

I read here that the portion of the passenger axle that extends from the axle bracket to the transmission is a different length, which is why in the picture I have a the full axle from the 5 speed just incase.

But that does not make too much sense if you think about it unless the differential housing is bigger or smaller on the 5 spd, both transmissions use the same differential. Hrm...

Yikes, just went and bought almost everything, and boy is my wallet sore :x
    Hopefully everything should be coming soon, and arrive before MOD :!:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast