The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Re-wiring fog lights on a relay and switch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 45
    TGC Regular

Re-wiring fog lights on a relay and switch

Complete tutorial on how to put your foglights on a switch and a relay.
    Tools you will need:
    Ratchet with 10mm socket and extension, wire cutter and stripper or scissors, insulation tape, screwdriver.
    You will need to buy these if you don't have them:
    16 gauge wires (preferably), a switch, and a relay.

Locate the fuse box and open it. Locate the fog light relay. The closest gray box out of two.

Unscrew the fusebox, and turn it around. For convinience you can remove the little fusebox attached to it. And remove the bottom cover of the fusebox.

In all those wires, locate the 3 wires that correspond to the foglight relay. You will need to cut the white one.

Strip the end that goes towards the relay and tape the other one.

Use the wire you bought (have) to extend the one that goes to the fusebox. That one will go to one end of the switch.

At this point you might want to attach your relay. You will have to drill a hole.

Use your own screws.

Use 2 wires to ground 86 and 30 on the relay.

I used the bolt on the fender.

Then use a wire to lead off 87 - that will go to another end of the switch.

Now you have two wires. The one off 87 and the white one. You will have to run them both inside the car. You can do it whichever way you want but i ran them through throttle cable hole.
    Unscrew the two bolts and you freed the hole.

Run them through. You can use a help of a friend to help you run them through - they will come out where your gas pedal ends.

They will look like this:

Connect them to the switch.

Then remove the foglight switch you have.

Insert the switch and tighten it.

Now all we have left is to connect the 85 to the positive source. I used the radio wire that coming from the fuse. Did not cut anything, just stripped a little in the middle and plugged right in.

So in the end - you will have something like this: 86 and 30 go to ground. 87 goes to one end of the switch, and 85 goes to radio.

Then close the bottom fuse cover

Put the fusebox back in place. Then tighten the throttle cable back in place. But DO NOT tighten it too hard, otherwise you will jam the wires and the fogs will be always on.
    Then when you are done with everything - just turn the car on "on" position and check the switch if its working or not. If not - make sure you did everything correctly. If it does - leave them on and shut off the car - the fogs should turn off as well.
    Here is the final result:

nice tutorial, but dude thats some shotty wiring

you need to use spade connectors, and solder and heatshrink wrap eash splice.

HIDE THAT WIRING

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    i ziptied everything but i didnt have time to solder everything yet.. so ya lol.

8G_GTZ
    so, did the foglight light indicator on the dash come on too? and is there a way to figure out which one on the original switch would work so you don't have a weird one in there?

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8G_GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>so, did the foglight light indicator on the dash come on too? and is there a way to figure out which one on the original switch would work so you don't have a weird one in there?

Steve</div>

You Cannot use the factory switch because it is a momentary swith

i think it woudl be MUCH simpler and appealing to have the FACTORY relay be powered by the parking light circuit rather than the headlight circuit.

then have it be triggered by the factory switch as per usual.

that way you weird people who like to drive around with only their foglights for whatever reason can do it, but you won't have shotty wiring, or cheap looking aftermarket switches in your cabin.

and woohoo, you could have yoru brights and fogs on at the same time.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>i think it woudl be MUCH simpler and appealing to have the FACTORY relay be powered by the parking light circuit rather than the headlight circuit.

that way you weird people who like to drive around with only their foglights for whatever reason can do it, Â*but you won't have shotty wiring, or cheap looking aftermarket switches in your cabin.

and woohoo, you could have yoru brights and fogs on at the same time.</div>

Actuall what I did was take a Blacke rocker switch and mounted it under the steering wheel, Right in the dip. It mounts almost perfect,I wrapped it a couple of times with electrical tape perfect fit

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8G_GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>so, did the foglight light indicator on the dash come on too? and is there a way to figure out which one on the original switch would work so you don't have a weird one in there?

Steve</div>

yes the indicator still comes on.

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>i think it woudl be MUCH simpler and appealing to have the FACTORY relay be powered by the parking light circuit rather than the headlight circuit.

that way you weird people who like to drive around with only their foglights for whatever reason can do it, Â*but you won't have shotty wiring, or cheap looking aftermarket switches in your cabin.

Hater!!!

There is already a tutorial on how to do it that way.
    -Pedro

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>i think it woudl be MUCH simpler and appealing to have the FACTORY relay be powered by the parking light circuit rather than the headlight circuit.

Hater!!!

There is already a tutorial on how to do it that way.</div>

x2

u should of spent an extra 5 bucks for connectors and spades and just hook it up into the actual fuse...nice tutorial though.... messy wiring annoys me...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

TGC Regular
    i just didnt take a pic with zipties.. it looks nice..

I could ve sworn there was a tutorial using the stock switch. That's the route I want to go....

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    man, thats just too much work for me to do. But keep up the good work.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    i agree just spend the extra 3 dollars on spades and normally you dont want to ground things off to existing grounds....obviouslly this worked but i would switch it anyway and take the advice for future installs

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    i think it woudl be MUCH simpler and appealing to have the FACTORY relay be powered by the parking light circuit rather than the headlight circuit.
    that way you weird people who like to drive around with only their foglights for whatever reason can do it, but you won't have shotty wiring, or cheap looking aftermarket switches in your cabin.
    and woohoo, you could have yoru brights and fogs on at the same time.
    Would you please let me know what I should do in order the factory fogs relay be powered by parking light circuit rather than headlight circuit?
    Thanks,

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rez887
    Would you please let me know what I should do in order the factory fogs relay be powered by parking light circuit rather than headlight circuit?
    Thanks,

that hasn't been figured out yet...it seems that the factory button trigger the ECU to turn on the fogs, not another relay.
    -Pedro

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamidad
    that hasn't been figured out yet...it seems that the factory button trigger the ECU to turn on the fogs, not another relay.

so you cant have ur parking lights on and fogs on at the same time....?

Quote Originally Posted by rez887
    Thanks,

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad &#064; Oct 1 2006, 09&#58;33 AM) [snapback]532990[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'>

</div>

I know there is a way to do this somewhere. ive seen it done a long time ago. ill do some searching and see what i come up with.

edit: ok i found it but the link is dead. here is the original post. i contacted djscript to see if he would repost it up.
    01 Galant ES V6 R.I.P
    ROB
    U.S ARMY...THANX FOR YOUR SUPPORT

Quote Originally Posted by furiousgtz
    so you cant have ur parking lights on and fogs on at the same time....?
    I have my angle eyes(parking light) on with my fogs, I'll try take some pics tonight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast