The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear sway bar

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Rear sway bar

I just picked up all the parts I need off a wrecked GS-T for a mere $65. The parts look BRAND NEW too! Woo...can't wait to get around to installing it.

Sorry, but I'm excited about it.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

Re: Rear sway bar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98ACR)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just picked up all the parts I need off a wrecked GS-T for a mere $65. The parts look BRAND NEW too! Woo...can't wait to get around to installing it. Â*

Sorry, but I'm excited about it.</div>

good man.

you are going to love it

try to get some polyurethane sway bushings instead of the stock mush ruber.

might as well get your front and rear at the same time...

don't know what size to get?
    just put a wrench on the swaybar.
    whichever metric size fits snug as a bug on a rug.... thats your size.

just order that size for a mitsu eclipse.

i think you can get them on ebay for pocket change.
    trust me they are worth it.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    very exciting, glad to see someone's doing this instead of the typical weak-ass strut bars. pics must be posted or i'll put a curse on you
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Re: Rear sway bar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98ACR)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just picked up all the parts I need off a wrecked GS-T for a mere $65. The parts look BRAND NEW too! Woo...can't wait to get around to installing it. Â*

Sorry, but I'm excited about it.</div>

yeah definatly, i wish i would find a gs galant on the yard i would snag the sway bar in a min, oh yeah matt your tutorial still active? if so he might wanna look at it, its a best one i have seen or only one..
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

ok i was just wondering if anyone had tried puting the 7G front tention bars on the back like a sway bar.....doesn't the fron of our suspension have that bar??? it's kinda limited to find GST eclipses and GS galants at my yard so if the front can go t othe back and we will have more options for our sway bars...
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

i don't think the front bar will fit on the rear....you could try, but i doubt it

1994 Galant GS 5spd

ahhh.....thanks......nah i dont think im going to try it.....
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

Experienced TGC Member
    Just picked up a 95 gsx rear sway bar today. Question is I have gst sway bar brackes and wanted to know if they are the same as the gsx? I don't have caps so would be thankfull for the info.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4
    Just picked up a 95 gsx rear sway bar today. Question is I have gst sway bar brackes and wanted to know if they are the same as the gsx? I don't have caps so would be thankfull for the info.
    they might be slightly smaller. the gst bar is 17mm, whilst the gsx bar is 18mm. the 1mm difference might yield different size brackets, unless they just drilled 1mm bigger hole in the bushings

when you buy urethane bushings, which you should be doing, they will come with brackets as long as you don't buy them specifically for an eclipse, you must buy the universal ones and they will come with the appropriate brackets

edit: just checked caps, the gsx and gst use the same bracket, part number MB515245, bushings and bar are obviously different. buy urethane bushings anyways with brackets

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4
    they might be slightly smaller. the gst bar is 17mm, whilst the gsx bar is 18mm. the 1mm difference might yield different size brackets, unless they just drilled 1mm bigger hole in the bushings

when you buy urethane bushings, which you should be doing, they will come with brackets as long as you don't buy them specifically for an eclipse, you must buy the universal ones and they will come with the appropriate brackets

edit: just checked caps, the gsx and gst use the same bracket, part number MB515245, bushings and bar are obviously different. buy urethane bushings anyways with brackets
    Thanx for the info.

i'm pretty sure you will be allright with the same gst brackets.
    as it tuns out,
    when i installed my rear RMSDM sway bar, it came with very thin poly bushings and used the stock bushing bracket.
    so i think the same deal goes fo the gsx sway bar.

i at one time had a prothane suspension kit in my hands and all the different size rear swaybar bushigns had the same outer dimentions, i assum due to the same size bracket

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'> the gst bar is 17mm, </div>

Of interesting note, the sway bar I got came off of a GST Spyder and only measures 15mm. I could measure it again, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the convertibles got a smaller rear bar.

well i just installed my rear sway bar....thanks peano for writing that tutorial....i got everything from a GST spyder.....i had two to choose from:either the gst coupe or the gst spyder.....the one in the coup looked thinner than the one from the spyder so i decided to gofor te one from the spyder since they had the same price......i got everything for $75......sway bar, endl links, bushings, lower control arm and all the bolts.....OMG!! i love how it handles......im planning on getting the better bushings when i get some cash unless someone is willing to send it ot me for free

other things that are left for me to do are body work, paint, rims and tires......i cant find a good deal on any of them :cry:
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98ACR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'> the gst bar is 17mm, </div>

Of interesting note, the sway bar I got came off of a GST Spyder and only measures 15mm. I could measure it again, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the convertibles got a smaller rear bar.</div>

i've been noticing i've been wrong lately also. i was told by a trusted source that the gst bar is 17mm, but caps and prothane have changed my mind to the 15mm as well

i have a set of 15mm and 18mm rear sway bar bushings from prothane, name your price

1994 Galant GS 5spd

I finally got my rear sway bar installed. I don't really know how great it is yet, as I haven't been able to tackle the back roads yet. But from what I've driven so far, it's pretty good, well worth the $50 investment in parts and the hour and a half that it took to install it. The only real problem came from my exhaust which was placed too close to where the driver's side bracket needed to be bolted in, so I had to tighten it in with an open-ended wrench 1/8 turn at a time....NOT FUN!!! But I like it pretty well, and definitely worth it.

Experienced TGC Member
    Don't want to bring this post from the dead but I just picked up a gst rear sway bar to replace the gsx sway bar I had on the car. I got tired of the rattle from the gsx bar hitting my exhaust. It is 15mm and fits so much better than the 18mm gsx sway bar. If you guys are looking for one you can call gary at http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/ he said he might have a couple laying around.