The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What do you need to drift?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 39

What do you need to drift?

Ok, now don't bash me. I know that fwd are not the best drift cars, but what kind of suspension upgrades are needed to have the stability for drifting? I know if you don't have the correct suspension upgrades you can really fuck shit up (break linkage, throw alignment off, etc.) Besides rims that can withstand the pressure, a good set of springs, and a strut bar, what all do you need?

BTW, this isn't b/c I am tryin to do this w/ my g, I have just always wondered what was needed to mod up a drift car. Lemme know.

Man, the best thing to do is to just get a beater so you can beat the shit out of it. "Serious" drifters have coilovers, clutch type lsds, expendable tires, rwd, e-brake handle in a comfy position with the button permanently pressed in or something like that. Pretty much every part of the suspension gets changed. I think they change tie rods and something about making the car have more steering angle, don't know, just remembering some random stuff. Oh and the most important thing is to do it in a desserted place far away from cops.

TGC Regular

Re: What do you need to drift?

u need a vehicle that is rwd or 4wd. on a fwd its just sliding lol, not really drifting.

i'll use my miata as an example since i take it drifting occasionally. i have a 6 point roll bar, tein flex coilovers, 3 point front stb, and yokohama es100 tires. all other suspension, chassis components are entirely stock(the wheels too)

getting an lsd is highly recommended, it keeps the power to the drive wheels even, so you're not just burning out one wheel. but basically u can drift any rwd or 4wd car that has enough hp. stiffer chassis and suspension components make it alot easier to control the car.

sway bars, tie bars, chassis braces, stuff like that.
    Your signature is too long.

I wonder if an Evos rear end could be easily adapted to the Gs, but now your talking money.
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

legnumvr4
    Here's a pic of my mate's Evo 7 drifting...

Carbon fibre front guards and bonnet too

galant_got_speed
    where the hell is the driver? lol

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'>where the hell is the driver? lol</div>

LOL

interesting exhaust.... i realize that this is a race car, but still...
    Your signature is too long.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'>where the hell is the driver? lol</div>

behind the tint... in australia their cars are RHD.

RollinBishiStyle
    I dont know much about drifting but i think it helps to have negative camber in the rear, and you want the rear end to squat. I read that somewhere.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    It helps to have RWD or AWD.
    7g for life!

i have heard people saying things about drifters/vip car owners usually like to go with the stretched tire look.. how do u figure out what tires to use in order for them to be stretched?.. meaning assuming u have a 18 by 8 wheel.. tire size we are suppose to go is 225 40 18.. so what is the stretch tire size?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RollinBishiStyle)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dont know much about drifting but i think it helps to have negative camber in the rear, and you want the rear end to squat. I read that somewhere.</div>

wierd, you would think you'd want the best alignment possible. that way the tires can evenly skid across the road
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have heard people saying things about drifters/vip car owners usually like to go with the stretched tire look.. how do u figure out what tires to use in order for them to be stretched?.. meaning assuming u have a 18 by 8 wheel.. tire size we are suppose to go is 225 40 18.. so what is the stretch tire size?</div>
    Stretching tires is gay, buy a meaty tire for your wheel. People run wide wheels without the correct tiresizing making the tires stretch to fit on the wheel. Say they run a 10" wide rear wheel, they may run a 225/40/18(If thats even possible) tire which is undersized and would look stretched. You want to run something like a 245/40-45/18 tire at least with a wide wheel. The Corvette guys with their 9-10" wheels run a 275 tire size with their 9-10" wide wheels.

Camber helps, excessive camber, does not. I dont know the physics of drifting as its kind of gay and pointless as 90% of the time you will be faster on a course if you grip.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>what is stretch?
    - "stretch" refers to stretching a narrower tire over a wider wheel, the sidewalls stretch from the lip to the tread

why do stretched tires?
    - well the whole thing started in germany/belgium, local laws required that the tire tread be within the fender line. well that doesnt allow one to run wider or lower offset wheels, so they put narrower tires on the wheel to maintain legality

- when you would like to run really wide or low offset wheels and keep the tire tread at the fender

- when you would like to go really low and not rub

isnt this unsafe?
    - there hasnt been any soild evidence that running a stretched tire is any more dangerous than a regular tire. Â*

where can i get tires stretched?

-any reputable wheel/tire shop should be able to do it. i know when i did a 215-45 kumho on a 8.5" wheel, it took one shop 90lbs to pop the bead. getting a 225-45 on a 9 and a 245-40 on a 10.5 took another shop 50 lbs

can't you afford the right tire size?
    - the tire that stretch the most tend to be at the top of the price list, so it isnt an issue

what tires stretch best?
    - from what i have seen, the best tires with regards to stretch are:
    toyo t1-s
    dunlop sp9000
    dunlop sp8080e
    falken fk451

im sure there are more, but look for a tire with a rounded shoulder and a lip protector, they tend to give the "desirable" look

but staggered wheels are stupid on fwd cars, arent you worried about handling?
    - its all about looks, you wont see anyone with low offset deep dish wheels flopping around the autox course.

what size/offset wheels are the best for a staggered look

- its all about personal preference. me, i have 17x9et26 and 17x10.5et26 and i couldnt ask for a better setup. some may not like the look but thats why people build their cars for themselves

arent you worried about curbing a wheel?

- take a look in the classifieds and count the number of wheels on regular tires compared to those on stretched tires with damage. Â*

Quote, originally posted by 02blkgtivr6 » Â*
    what if you get a puncture in the tire from a nail and you're going 65mph and the tire loses air rapidly, will it stay beaded (proper term?) as long as a regular sized tire would? do stretched tires need to have above a certain tire pressure to stay beaded?
    Â*

- Â*
    one thing about running stretched tires, the driver tends to be a bit more careful because of the cost of the wheels, i definately drive more alert with the tramonts than i do my stock wheels. Â*

and as far as loss of pressure is concerned, i tested my wheels the other day after putting them on, i drove around one day (~60 miles mixed highway/city) and one tire was at 10psi, no visual or performance cues.

the main reason for a tire popping a bead is sidewall flex, not internal pressure. like i said, it took ~90lbs to mount my one set, there is no way taht driving forces would add to exceed that pressure, let alone the 40lbs it took to do this set

Quote, originally posted by LA20 » Â*
    From my understanding, stretching tires is just putting smaller tires on a bigger rims, like 215 on a 19"x8.5 or something like that. But to get that tire outside the fender, dont we need spacers or something? or as long you have stretch tires, you will achieve "the look" on the rear wheels?
    Â*

-you can do one of 2 things: 1- use spacers, 2- pick a wheel or have one made that provides an offset such that when mounted it will have the look you want

Quote, originally posted by LA20 » Â*
    oke, it seems clear now. what et usually gives that kind of look? and with that kind of offset or by using spacers, wont the tire tread falls under or outside the fender just like that? It it is, then why we need to stretch the tires again??

Â*

answer: Quote, originally posted by tivs31 » Â*
    the thing is that in most cases people are running a wide, low offset wheel, which would allow them to run a large amount of dish....

the proper offset for a mark 4 front fender is about 30-32 with an 8.5" wheel, but with the strech idea, one could run a 20-25 (would poke outside the fender about 1/2") without rubbing and without being against the law.

the addional 1/2" outside the fender would also allow you to run a 9" wide wheel in the front as well Â* Â*
    Â*

</div>
    7g for life!

galant_got_speed
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have heard people saying things about drifters/vip car owners usually like to go with the stretched tire look.. how do u figure out what tires to use in order for them to be stretched?.. meaning assuming u have a 18 by 8 wheel.. tire size we are suppose to go is 225 40 18.. so what is the stretch tire size?</div>
    Stretching tires is gay, buy a meaty tire for your wheel. People run wide wheels without the correct tiresizing making the tires stretch to fit on the wheel. Say they run a 10" wide rear wheel, they may run a 225/40/18(If thats even possible) tire which is undersized and would look stretched. You want to run something like a 245/40-45/18 tire at least with a wide wheel. The Corvette guys with their 9-10" wheels run a 275 tire size with their 9-10" wide wheels.

Camber helps, excessive camber, does not. I dont know the physics of drifting as its kind of gay and pointless as 90% of the time you will be faster on a course if you grip.</div>

haha well i think drifting is fun OCCASIONALLY. I have ridden in my friends 240SX and let me tell u that was a blast...but otherwise i would think its dangerous to ur car...but u gotta love the civics trying to drift coming out of the theatres after seeing Tokyo Drift..

I know how to drift, its not hard. I meant to say I dont know the physics of a true drift setup. I agree it is fun to do in an empty parking lot or on some empty streets(as in private roads/backroads) but thats about it. I dont know how they made a sport of it, they kind of turned it into a big show instead of what it orignally was in Japan.

Anywho, drift setup in a FWD. Ive only seen one video of a Honda really "drifting" in his FWD and it was pretty gay. A lot of front tire smoke, a lot rear sliding + locked tires = flat spots galore. FWD is not a base for drifting, its impossible for a FWD car to push the car through a turn therefore it cant drift, but only slide/pull.
    7g for life!

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Yea, I figured it was pretty much impossible to do in a fwd car and none of this was in hopes of actually doing this to my car. I just always wondered. Thanks for all the replies tho!

legnumvr4
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hsinya)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'>where the hell is the driver? lol</div>

LOL

interesting exhaust.... i realize that this is a race car, but still...</div>

Yeah.. we're not big on mufflers here in Australia Not on the track anyway..

Here's some pics from this weekend.

TGC Regular
    to drift you need a..
    1992 Toyota Soarer from japan
    Donovan J.

Need something from england..or other eastern nations holla...
    I dont mind looking.

Car: Toyota Soarer GT-T Jspec "Limited"
    Galant: at home chillaxen :(

Experienced TGC Member SleekGTZ's Avatar
    The easy way: (3 easy steps)

1. Go to your local video store and rent Inital D the movie (not the animated one)

Video: Click (warning 35mb)

2. Go buy a Toyota AE86: (preferably from a guy who sells tofu)

3. You're good to go:

But seriously, if you want to do drifting, get a different car with RWD or AWD.

-

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Drifting is a money pit...expect to spend alot of money to run a good "drift" car. To get the correct technique and experience to really drift requires alot of practice and guess what...its expensive. The amount of money you'll be spending on tires, suspension, drivetrain, and upgrades to the motor so at least you have power to actually drift and spin the wheels.

Drifting puts ALOT of stress to the car especially on your engine and drivetrain and that is not cheap to fix when things break. Not to mention those mishaps if you were to cause any body damage. I just say be prepared to spend some money....its a expensive "sport".

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast