The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What do you need to drift?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 39 of 39
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You dont need much power to drift. 200-300whp is ideal, much more is just too much power.
    7g for life!

i never thought of it like that f-it i've done it maybe about 2-3 time in the galant but not any more and less after reading this article good bye, good bye.(aol style) :pukey: what i think of drifting.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have heard people saying things about drifters/vip car owners usually like to go with the stretched tire look.. how do u figure out what tires to use in order for them to be stretched?.. meaning assuming u have a 18 by 8 wheel.. tire size we are suppose to go is 225 40 18.. so what is the stretch tire size?</div>
    mine stretch a little, but this was only done since we did not know if we could fit 235's or 245's... my next set of tires will probably be 235. right now my 225 on 8.5" is stretching. now 225 on a 9"-10" would definately stretch but if you go much wider in the rims, the tires may not even mount correctly.

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'>where the hell is the driver? lol</div>

i thought my man had his gangsta lean on

when is we gon be free????

its possible to drift front wheel drive, but the galant is just not a good candidate to do it it just takes much more skill and speed whenit comes to the braking and the weight transfer than it does in a rwd or awd......

will post an informative link as soon as i find it!!
    jdm front end conversion in the process.........

Go to Tokyo. Make friends with a guy named Han. He'll give you a RWD Evo and he'll teach you how to drift in a couple of days. Then you can defeat the Drift King and take his girlfriend...

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(speedracer)</div><div class='quotemain'>its possible to drift front wheel drive, but the galant is just not a good candidate to do it it just takes much more skill and speed whenit comes to the braking and the weight transfer than it does in a rwd or awd......

will post an informative link as soon as i find it!!</div>
    Show me a FWD car that can push through a corner? O wait, they cant. Maybe in reverse you could drift? Would be fun trying.

FWD cars dont drift, they powerslide.
    7g for life!

funny funny
    front wheel drive cars <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>can</span> drift drift....
    take a peak at this article before you go ahead and assume its just powersliding...............

http://www.driftcentral.com/forum/showthre...read.php?t=3551
    jdm front end conversion in the process.........

Experienced TGC Member SleekGTZ's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(speedracer)</div><div class='quotemain'>funny funny Â*
    front wheel drive cars <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>can</span> drift drift....
    take Â*a peak at this article before you go ahead and assume its just powersliding...............

http://www.driftcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3551</div>

KEISUKE HATAKEYAMA: "I went through about 300 tires in a year".

Wow, this sport is expensive.

that is a cool article. I would love to go try it but I don't wanna fuck my shit up. lol. but it makes sense what he is saying. Anyone wanna try it out and let us know the results (doubt anyone is willing, but i would love to know if it would actually work...?

add on:
    found these clips of ff drifting

http://www.whiplashdvd.com/trailers/drifting.wmv
    http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/t...%20Vids/cv4.wmv

enjoy guyz! (and/or gurlz)

yo

have u guys seen that guy who drifts a civic hatch thing, i think hes pretty famous, think i saw him in a magazine article or online or some shit so someone should look that guy up

Re: yo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atx)</div><div class='quotemain'>have u guys seen that guy who drifts a civic hatch thing, i think hes pretty famous, think i saw him in a magazine article or online or some shit so someone should look that guy up</div>

That's what those two movies I posted are....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zero_4073)</div><div class='quotemain'>Go to Tokyo. Make friends with a guy named Han. He'll give you a RWD Evo and he'll teach you how to drift in a couple of days. Then you can defeat the Drift King and take his girlfriend...</div>
    Man Han died in an accident :winky:

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    i guess lot's of money and sponsorship.. drifting is not funny..

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(speedracer)</div><div class='quotemain'>funny funny Â*
    take Â*a peak at this article before you go ahead and assume its just powersliding...............

http://www.driftcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3551</div>

have you read that interview yourself??? the way he explains how he does it is just powersliding. drifting requires the rear wheels to push the car sideways through a corner. with a FF car he just lets the rear wheels slide. eventually the FF car will lose momentum and and stop sliding. rwd cars can sustain their drift because the rear wheels are actually pushing the car along sideways.
    Your signature is too long.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/drifting1.htm

i'm not seeing where you're getting that the rear wheels have to power through the turn

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sabzi5858)</div><div class='quotemain'>http://auto.howstuffworks.com/drifting1.htm

i'm not seeing where you're getting that the rear wheels have to power through the turn</div>

all those techniques explain how to initiate a drift or a slide and most of those techniques require the car to be rwd.

answer this question: how can a FF car maintain the angle of a drift?

aren't the rear wheels just sliding? eventually the rear end of the car will lose momentum while the front wheels are driving the car.

watch chromed out galant's 1st clip he posted with the white civic
    http://www.whiplashdvd.com/trailers/drifting.wmv

notice how the 1st few shots are in the rain. the car easily slides through a turn. later shots during a dry day u can see it is impossible for the civic to maintain a drift because the rear end of the car loses momentum and traction returns to the rear tires.

with rwd you would be able to put power down to the rear tires and keep them spinning and the rear end will drift, no matter how fast or slow you are going. with the "ff drift" you guys are talking about you would need to be going at a high enough speed so the rear end would stay sliding throughout the turn.

for example, if you watched the x-games rally last weekend you will know what i am talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci_p6ulyTRg
    pay attention to the tarmac section where he drifts through the hairpins at a relatively low speed. the rear tires are pushing the rear end out to maintain the angle. it is impossible for a FF car to do that.

THAT is the difference between a slide and a drift.
    Your signature is too long.

I've seen a video straight out of Japan (i.e. still in Japanese, dubbed of course). It was with the "DK" of Japan from a few years back. He did a buncha drifts with cars of different weights and drives. Rear wheel is the most impressive of course since you get all the show of the spinning wheels and smoke. Front wheel drifts, or slide/pulls as I have read on this site are still considered drifts. As is entering a turn at an excessive speed causing a slide. Drifting is not just a rear wheel drive thing. The locking up of tires is an amatuer move. Its the best way to bring the ass end of the car out (rwd or fwd). Still the risk for tire damage is relatively low, since the E-Brake is only put on for a second to get the car sliding, when the car is sliding, and front wheels are pulling, the rears spin and eventually catch and straighten the car. Clutch drifting is dumping the clutch before the turn and letting the rpms spike, during the turn pop the clutch to do a mini "burnout" and the car will slide. Then there are things like in Initial D (the real movie) where you see him hit the gas with the right, clutch with the left, and brake with his other foot while keeping two hands on the wheel and the other changing the radio. That is to a. (brake) bring the weight of the car onto the front wheels giving better handling in the turn, b (clutch) disengage the wheels duh, and c. (gas) to keep the rpms up so that when you let go of the clutch to car kicks and starts to drift. As for parts, better quality bushings can help alot. Urethane and w/e will keep you from having to tow the car that you would have driven home, from the track. The low-pros have stiffer sidewalls, and therefore keep the suspension aligned during the drifting. They also serve the purpose of keeping the rubber on the rims when the weight of the car is now going sideways, the risk of the tire comming off the rim is alot greater with higher walled tires. I have been out in my friend's '98 Mercury Tracer and we have drifted that thing to shit. The A-arm bushings are shot. However we learned that the thing you need most to drift it a strong pair of aftermarket balls. You need to see a left turn downtown and head for it at 30+, rip and drop the E-brake and keep the gas on the floor the whole time. If his car can get around the corners anyones can. Still, get a shit car like his if you are just going to fulfill your Tokyo Drift needs. It can be a money pit.

Calipso
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgishmork
    I've seen a video straight out of Japan (i.e. still in Japanese, dubbed of course). It was with the "DK" of Japan from a few years back. He did a buncha drifts with cars of different weights and drives. Rear wheel is the most impressive of course since you get all the show of the spinning wheels and smoke. Front wheel drifts, or slide/pulls as I have read on this site are still considered drifts. As is entering a turn at an excessive speed causing a slide. Drifting is not just a rear wheel drive thing. The locking up of tires is an amatuer move. Its the best way to bring the ass end of the car out (rwd or fwd). Still the risk for tire damage is relatively low, since the E-Brake is only put on for a second to get the car sliding, when the car is sliding, and front wheels are pulling, the rears spin and eventually catch and straighten the car. Clutch drifting is dumping the clutch before the turn and letting the rpms spike, during the turn pop the clutch to do a mini "burnout" and the car will slide. Then there are things like in Initial D (the real movie) where you see him hit the gas with the right, clutch with the left, and brake with his other foot while keeping two hands on the wheel and the other changing the radio. That is to a. (brake) bring the weight of the car onto the front wheels giving better handling in the turn, b (clutch) disengage the wheels duh, and c. (gas) to keep the rpms up so that when you let go of the clutch to car kicks and starts to drift. As for parts, better quality bushings can help alot. Urethane and w/e will keep you from having to tow the car that you would have driven home, from the track. The low-pros have stiffer sidewalls, and therefore keep the suspension aligned during the drifting. They also serve the purpose of keeping the rubber on the rims when the weight of the car is now going sideways, the risk of the tire comming off the rim is alot greater with higher walled tires. I have been out in my friend's '98 Mercury Tracer and we have drifted that thing to shit. The A-arm bushings are shot. However we learned that the thing you need most to drift it a strong pair of aftermarket balls. You need to see a left turn downtown and head for it at 30+, rip and drop the E-brake and keep the gas on the floor the whole time. If his car can get around the corners anyones can. Still, get a shit car like his if you are just going to fulfill your Tokyo Drift needs. It can be a money pit.
    :shock: Go to google and look up "Paragraphs".

Anyways, I can drift better than any of you. 2 Burger King trays under my rear tires and I'd pwn the streets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12