The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What kind of oil should be used?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    coolblind

What kind of oil should be used?

Guys, my 96 Galant has 98K miles on it. I just want to take a good care of it to let it last a little longer.

I am confused by so many oils on the market. Should I use some "High mileage oil" from Castrol or Valvoline? Or I should go to the synthetic ones like Mobile 1 or Castrol.

I don't think I can drive it too much, maybe less than 10K one year, so I am planning to change oil for every 5k miles, also, I am going to use some "good" oil filter such as K&N.

change?? just keep adding oil...

ive used 5-30 pretty much with some valvolin or quaker ...never really bothered wit synthetic cuz our cars dont really need it...their is some thread regarding changing over to synthetic do a quick search and it will pop up...

i also hear Amsoil is pretty good too... i just might try that next...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

my car ran mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 from day one. and after 186k miles when i took the GS 2.4 dohc out,
    the entire main bearing set was within spec, the crank was factory spec, the rod bearings were mint, the piston rings were mint, zero machinign of the bottem end was needed whatsoever.
    only thing that needed any attention was that the new pistons would have to have been .01 over. only because one of the cylinders was just slightly out of spec.

but you know what
    i beat n that motor every single day, not just a little spirited driving here and there, i'm talking top speed runs, everyday in traffic flooring it through 1st 2nd and 3rd gears, taking it to the redline on every shift, a race here and there, on ramps off ramps whatever. i mena i really made that engine perform...

so people say what they want about how some oils are better than others or add this special stuff, or dont use that. in the end, i will only use mobil one.
    Why? because it worked better than i could have ever imagined. and in the end, why would i want to use anything better?
    i mena how could there possibly be better results than that? yeha i could dump money into additives and super exensive alternative brands... but if the best it coudl do for my engine is what mobil one does for so much cheaper... then i just can't justify the expense.

but things are different if you've been running somethign other than synthetics in your motor until now.

the best you can do is not make any MORE damage.
    synthetics can keep a motor like new for a long long time. but if you switch over, you can only kep your current motor from wearing further. and if bearing surfaces are already shot, then the synthetic can only slow the degredation of your engine(which is already inevitably on its way out)

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

5w30.
    any quality brand.

synthetic is unnecessary in 99 percent of the cars people put it in.

Ive got 197000 miles on my original diamante engine. COMPLETELY original.
    always used 5w30, generally Mobils ordinary oil.

coolblind
    So, anyone has some comments on these "High mileage oils"?

I am heard as long as you swich to them, it should be harmful to your engine if you swich to others... :?:

is use castrol 10-30 gtx or the high milage.. the high milage costs more but is still cheaper then syn. like john says to use.. i really like castrol.. i dont use syn. b/c its expensive and since my motor is a junkyard motor it eats oil (not too bad).

but like manybrews said any quality brand.. no 'napa' brand or autozone brand.. get pensoil or quaker state or my fav. castrol, and yea a low vescositly like 10-30 or 5-30 should do just fine
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

you really dont want anything higher than 5-30.

whats the difference in oil types 5w30 10w30 10w40 and 20w50.
    I also hear that syntetic oils are thicker than normal oils

One mechanic even told me once that 5w30 syntetic is the same thickness as a normal 20w50 but better oil than standard.

Isnt the higher the number the thicker the oil, and if you have a worn engine shouldnt you use a thicker oil, thats what i have always heard the higher the miles the thicker the oil since most of the times the engine wear out and have leaks or burn oil.

I use 10w40 syntetic from castrol
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>you really dont want anything higher than 5-30.</div>

i run 10-30, so you recomend i switch back to 5-30? i use the 10 because it's thicker and it's pretty toasty here right now...
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joaltava)</div><div class='quotemain'>whats the difference in oil types 5w30 10w30 10w40 and 20w50. Â*
    I also hear that syntetic oils are thicker than normal oils Â*

One mechanic even told me once that 5w30 syntetic is the same thickness as a normal 20w50 but better oil than standard.

Isnt the higher the number the thicker the oil, and if you have a worn engine shouldnt you use a thicker oil, thats what i have always heard the higher the miles the thicker the oil since most of the times the engine wear out and have leaks or burn oil. Â*

I use 10w40 syntetic from castrol</div>

no the higher the number the thiner the oil.. oil is messured in vescosity.. i know know the exect method to test it but i do know the lower the number the lower the vescosity and the thicker the oil is.. its warm climent around here which is why i like 10-30.. infact its all we use exept on motors that are high milage then we use 20-50 but mainly and mostly on high milage domestics.. imports mainly get 10-30
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGALANT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joaltava
    whats the difference in oil types 5w30 10w30 10w40 and 20w50.
    I also hear that syntetic oils are thicker than normal oils

Isnt the higher the number the thicker the oil, and if you have a worn engine shouldnt you use a thicker oil, thats what i have always heard the higher the miles the thicker the oil since most of the times the engine wear out and have leaks or burn oil.

I use 10w40 syntetic from castrol
    no the higher the number the thiner the oil.. oil is messured in vescosity.. i know know the exect method to test it but i do know the lower the number the lower the vescosity and the thicker the oil is.. its warm climent around here which is why i like 10-30.. infact its all we use exept on motors that are high milage then we use 20-50 but mainly and mostly on high milage domestics.. imports mainly get 10-30
    Well thats great to know, seeing that i live in florida where the temp is always 90" or higher 10w40 syntetic should be the best oil for my car.

I also use Lucas Syntetic Oil Stabalizer with my oil and it works great i dont have any complains
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)