The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Basic starter troubleshooting.

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

Basic starter troubleshooting.

Does your car click when you try to start it? Click several times before it finally starts? Check the following:

1) Check the battery posts for corrosion, make sure they are tight and clean. Get the battery tested if its an old battery.

2) Check your grounds. One behind the battery, one that bolts to the transmission to one of the starter bolts, one on top of the intake manifold. Make sure they are connected and not corroded.

3) Get your starter tested. If you remove the starter and take it to AutoZone or Advanced Auto and they will be able to test it. Or before taking the starter out, you might want to pull off the wire going to the starter solenoid, and hook up a little alligator clip to the terminal on the solenoid, and touch the other end to the +12v terminal on the battery. If it doesn't crank right away, the problem is with your starter. If it tests bad, replace it, if it tests good then onto 4).

4) If your starter is good, your grounds are good, battery is good, theres not much else to check besides the ignition switch on the steering column or the starter relay in the right fender well.
    Last edited by seth98esT; 02-15-2008 at 07:33 PM
    7g for life!

MAKE THIS A STICKY!
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

before taking the starter out, you might want to pull off the wire going to the starter solenoid, and hook up a little alligator clip to the terminal on the solenoid, and touch the other end to the +12v terminal on the battery. if it doesn't crank right away, the problem is with your starter. well, your starter solenoid anyways, but i don't think you can replace it without replacing the starter anyways.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Added your suggestions Sabzi, wish I would have thought about it during my testings. WOuld have made my back feel much better vs leaning over the car and taking the starter out several times haha.
    7g for life!

sorry, i would have said it earlier in your other thread but i was late, so i had to say it when i got back.

Ok I have had it with this problem.

Is there anyway yall can provide pics of where these things are at.
    I know about the ground on the intake but cant find the other one.
    Also I have no I dont know exactly wheres the starter. Now dont knock me for it but I honestly havent got under the car yet to look for it.

And where is the starter solenoid?

This is has been an on going problem that I think is coming from that wire that is connected with the battery terminal. This problem didnt occur until I changed my battery post. Its nice and tight and no corrosion found on it.

Thanks In Advance.
    AkA ILL InFeCteD

Pics Plz.
    AkA ILL InFeCteD

:( Still no pics...

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    the starter and the selonoid are one piece. the starter assembly is located on the bell housing of your tranny. Follow your ground wire from your battery and ull c the wire going to a bolt on the bell housing and that bolt is the top bolt of your starter and the other bolt is left and down from there when looking at it. I just changed my starter yesterday but i didnt c this thread so no pics sorry
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service