The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: review: 7G complete prothane/urethane bushing kit

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 107
    Experienced TGC Member
    I have a problem trying to get the bolts to line up after all the bushings were installed in the rear. That shit was stiff as hell. It took 2 of us with prybars to line things up for the bolts. Btw with this freezing weather in ny my car is sqeeking like a mofo I guess I should have used more lube. Hope it goes back to normal once the weather warms up :(
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

thanks for the tip Angel.lol Ill be sure to do so when the time comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4
    I have a problem trying to get the bolts to line up after all the bushings were installed in the rear. That shit was stiff as hell. It took 2 of us with prybars to line things up for the bolts. Btw with this freezing weather in ny my car is sqeeking like a mofo I guess I should have used more lube. Hope it goes back to normal once the weather warms up :(
    yeah you ahve to lube the hell out of the bore around the bushing, the bore withing the bushing, and then outside and inside fo the sleeve.
    all with clean hands so you don't get grit trapped in there.

mine have never squeked. ever.

its pretty crazy how much slop the stock suspension has in it. once you put the new bushings in there you literally can't jsut slap everythign back together, there is an order to get it lined up, lol. i use a jack under the knuckle so the trailing arm can reach the bolt holes.

but man... i've said it a million timmes, bushings in a 7g really wakes the car up.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T-double
    ok I am going crazy I attempeted to install some of the bushings and I am now mad as hell...... i am on the rear Loower control arm and it sucks.... I am so mad....I have a air chizle and I am getting the old stuff out but it is so horrible I am so mad and I just want to scream.... I love doing suspention work but this is no joke.... This make you or brake you.... Did anyone else have any problems with this part
    you don't need to completely remove all the rubber from the oem bushing sleeves....you just need to get enough out so you can cut the sleeve out with a sawzall or something. the first few bushings i did i completely removed all of the rubber and then took the sleeve out after that, but it's pointless because it all comes out anyways....so you're just trying to clear enough rubber to get a blade in there
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

well I have access to a press and I have been pressing mine out... I don't have a tourch so I have been using the schools press... So far I have gotten one side done.....Well half way just the inner lower control arm mand the upeer control arm but everything else has to be tended too.....
    8g tranny is being rebuilt and waiting on ground control coilovers
    7g is just sitting motor and tranny is out(need to finish, just lazy)
    6g (vr4) motor is out getting the good stuff like a gt4088 and some more stupid stuff.
    Nice to be back!!!!

I just received my bushings and will be installing them as soon as I get my AGX's w/prokit in the mail. :D And mine actually came in black, I was impressed. Maybe i'll be nice and post a few pics as long as I can find a camera to borrow during the install.

the black are bettter,
    they have graphite in them.
    it helps lubricate things and keep the sqeaks down.

don't forget to use tons of lube on every bushing, sleeve, and bore.
    you'll regret it if you don't
    make sure you clean out the bores before you grease them. any rust or other contaminates can cause squeaking down the road.

i've had my bushings in for almost 2 years now annd i am happy to say no squeaks.
    its all in the prep

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

heres the thing...ive had my prothane bushing kit in now for about 4 years just in the rear...up until a month ago they have been squeaking and driving me absolutely batty...turns out the stock grease they include (which is no where NEAR enough) dries up and turns into powder over time...i had to totally re-dissasemble the whole rear suspension and slather on so much white lithium grease that i never wanna see it again...my advice...dont use their grease unless u wanna do it again in a few years
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Yeah so I actually just started installing these today. :oops: Can't wait to feel the difference.

222whp/250wtq

Where is the best place to order this kit?

You can try just about any of the typical DSM shops. RRE, Slowboy, Extreme PSI, etc. Just browse around and try to find the best price. Just make sure to order the kit for a 2g FWD.

Edit: It was just brought to my attention that slowboy is now selling these for $370.00 :smt103
    Last edited by laxinwarrior; 03-11-2008 at 12:01 PM

222whp/250wtq

Hey guys, I was about to do a full blown suspension replacement this weekend. Uppers, lowers, trailing arms, the whole nine yards. If I get the prothane kit, am I just replacing the bushings? Meaning that I can still use the parts? Short of new ball joints. It seems cheaper to go with the prothane rather than buy all new parts.

yeah. short of balljoints.... it woudl be better to go with the complete prothane.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    buying all new parts will still leave you with OEM rubber joints, rather than the life-long stiff prothane superior alternative
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Is there any observed difference in the cars with energy vs prothane. I know prothane are stiffer but when i went RREs site and they say they use Energy on all of their cars. Has any one driven both?

Any one?

i've owned both.
    i'll never go back to energy.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Thanks for your imput, I am going to get teh Prothane master kit. Any reason why? Just curious!

Just recived the kit $182.00 Shipped from http://www.neverenoughauto.com/index.php
    I will be installing the rear in about a week!!

make sure you get some type of solvent like toulene or xylene.
    and some rubber gloves.

its a real dirty job. so what i did to keep things clean and to keep from contaminating the bushings....

was wear gloves of course. but completely clean all the inner bores (where the bushings will be pressed in) with strong solvent so that there would be no residue.

since my hands and gloves were dirty, i had my girlfriend lubricate and push in the bushings while I held the components..

this way i didn't recontaminate the area's i just cleaned.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast