The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: review: 7G complete prothane/urethane bushing kit

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 107
    update: my 4WS system torn the rear trailing arm into pieces....

So if you have a VR4 keep the rear trailing arm bushings stock. That is all.

Hey that has happened to me 3 times in 9 months (since installed) on both sides. I also re-welded that point where it snapped for a stronger weld. It snapped below it. I am working on a outer sleeve of 4130 heavy wall tubing and possible of an inner rod. I thought i was the only one this was happening to.

Good Luck if it happened once it will happen again.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    yeah, i cracked the round housing on my driver side trailing arm cause of these. honestly, i'm starting to debate if prothanes are worth it on a daily driver. for race cars, of course, this is required IMO. but IDK if i would put these on my next car, you have to regrease the bushings almost once a year, which requires pretty much doing it all over again.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

I'm using factory bushings for that particular arm, it never broke in the past 16 years it should not break all of a sudden. Also you shouldn't have to regrease polyurethane bushings, you might have mistaken that for pillow bushings with a grease nipple. Even pillow ball bushings with no nipples you wouldn't have to grease them.

where can i get em. n how much. i want em now.
    lol
    hes right too, u upgrade suspension n it makes the car feel much better and acurate to drive. i swapped the rear brakes along with the sway bar, gr-2 shocks and WOW. the sway bar alone was WOW. brakes and handles like a bmw. maybey a e36 or older. but when im done im hoping for 09 benz kinda ride. lmao
    ive been trying to get this kit ut together for a while. n more now that i went 5spd. i feel the road and drivetrain more i guse caus it 5spd, n all mechanical.
    plus i wanna tighten up some areas.

n what do u guys think about swapping 8g galant tubular arms ?? worth it. if so do it before the energy kit.

Quote Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
    I'm using factory bushings for that particular arm, it never broke in the past 16 years it should not break all of a sudden. Also you shouldn't have to regrease polyurethane bushings, you might have mistaken that for pillow bushings with a grease nipple. Even pillow ball bushings with no nipples you wouldn't have to grease them.
    well, i'm regreasing them every year because i'm forced to. i can hear them squeeking and rubbing, and when i take everything apart, they're dry and there's burn marks from everything rubbing without grease. i re-apply a liberal amount of grease to the bushings and the insides of the joints, put everything back together, and in a year's time, give or take, it's all dry again. i hear squeeking and rubbing and i look and they're dry again.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

I have them allready a year on my car, and ho squaking or rubbing at all. I love this setup...
    www.mitsubishiklub.cz
    Dream, as if you live for ever, live as if you will die today, the choice is yours.

Experienced TGC Member
    so should my gf watch out for the damn arms snapping with these in her 2g? Is the energy kit better? LOL.. this kind of ruined my night..................

the energy kit is a little bit softer than the prothanes; they bridge the gap between prothanes and OEM.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

I got Prothane mounts and bushings on the way right now. I can't wait for the improved ride.

So about half a year or so with these on my car now? minimal squealing I don't think it'll get squeeky in half a year.

yeah those trailing arms need factory bushings.

i don't know what's wrong with me or my car, but they're squeeking to all hell again. i popped off one of the rears on the upper A arm and it's bone dry. i had grease literally dripping out when i put them back on last year....maybe my suspension is too bouncy and they're getting more mileage than normal, idk....i've given up

1994 Galant GS 5spd

hmmmm use some "lowering springs" instead of coilovers maybe?

So after a year and a half mine started to squeak badly as well, however I have managed to find a can of stuff from WURTH Canada which the local shops swear by. The name of the stuff is HSH2000 or something like that and it works wonders.

I simply stop the car on some ramps, spray everywhere with the wheels steered to one side, and after 10 minutes all is gone!

The spray is a synthetic lubricant that has the capillary characteristics much like WD40 but the spray dries into a grease substance so it will not wear out over a long time...

That's what they say anyway I have this stuff for 3 days so far and no sign of the squeak coming back I'll keep you all posted.
    Last edited by hk20000; 04-29-2010 at 09:51 AM

Are you both using the Super Grease? I have had mine for almost 2 years no squeaks! Yet!

Yes give me a cookie!

copy that on the supergrease...still goes away after 1-2 years

1994 Galant GS 5spd

i installed mine um 3 years ago i think. I autocross regularly, and drive the ever loving piss out of it at deal's gap 2 to 3 times annually. Haven't had a squeak yet, or a broken trailing arm. I've installed every single bushing in the kit, minus the upper strut mount bushings because I have d2 coilovers with aluminum upper strut mounts.

IDK why everyone keeps breaking theirs. I typically daily drive the car too.

As far as greasing and installing the bushings, I had my girlfriend(at the time) help me. I made sure that she only touched the parts, and I only touched the grease and the bushings. That way my gloves stayed clean (with nothing but grease on them), and her gloves didn't contaminate the grease or the bushings.
    I used the red prothanes too.

I would highly advise anyone ordering the kit to get the black graphite impregnated Prothane bushings.

I had the black energy kit on my Black GS. It was ok... but the bushings were a total PITA to install because they were all one piece. They were softer. And the energy kit does not replace nearly as many bushings as the prothane kit does.

ALSO: I just remembered, I cleaned all of the bores with denatured alcohol before installing the new bushings to make sure they were totally clean.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I have never had an issue with mine either. never been oiled since its been in and no squeaks. Matt....your car is an enigma as usual! LOL

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Experienced TGC Member
    Every time i search for prothanes i cant find the black ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    Every time i search for prothanes i cant find the black ones.
    summit sells them. It will say on the website that the black take like a week longer because thwy drop ship from the manufacturer.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast