The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: review: 7G complete prothane/urethane bushing kit

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 107
    Experienced TGC Member
    gotcha. thanks! Ill order them eventually.

Bushings and mounts been on for a little while now. still no squeeks. I was really supprised how many things in and under my dash I had to tighten once i put the motor mounts in. vibrated like crazy at first.
    After doing the install every other car i drive just feels sloppy. Prothane is the shit!

Experienced TGC Member
    Does it really make that much of a difference?

It was night and day difference in the steering response and cornering. I noticed it as soon as I started to pull out of my warehouse.

Just for fun, go push down on your car right above the wheel. Does it move? mine dosen't not even a little bit. even with my 195 lb ass putting my body weight into it.

The mounts made a big difference as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    Does it really make that much of a difference?
    It really does man. The soft rubber bushings allow the suspension to deflect.

Dude the deflection effects the angles of the suspension.

Think about how important angles are in architecture. Just a few degrees of change in an angle can make the difference between a roof being able to support thousands of pounds, or only hundreds.

Now think about how just a couple or a fraction of a degree in your alignment can effect how your car handles/responds etc....

every time your suspension deflects your alignment deviates from the angles its designed to maintain.
    So not only does this create slop, it creates predictably unpredictable handling.

Installing prothanes essentially converts every suspension joint into a hinge. Allowing the components only to travel in the range of motion they were originally intended to before compromises were made.

Trust me. Your ride quality will not decline. It will improve, and so will your handling and the smile on your face when you drive.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    million dollar question on your guys' prothane motor mount inserts: did you have them pressed in, or did you simply just slap them on?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Slap them in just the same as the bushings. Both side mounts have a sleeve that needs to be removed along with the rubber, and the front and rear mounts are just inserts that go around the existing rubber.

Experienced TGC Member
    The roll mounts need some sort of washer type deal to have them stay inside of the mount itself. Mine have popped out twice already. The energy kit looks like comes with the spacers needed.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    yeah see i can't get my front and rear prothane inserts to stay in no matter what, i've even tried putting them in a vice and they just don't fit. 2G prothane inserts with 2G OEM motor mounts.

my car was never meant to see a prothane bushing :(
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Nice information about energy suspension. I think I am interested in applying the same thing in installing the energy suspension. :D

Experienced TGC Member
    There is a difference in the energy suspension bushings and prothane bushings. Prothane bushings are stiffer and those are what this thread is about, just to inform you.

im having a alot of trouble removing the sleves, they seem to be on pretty good...

^^^hacksaw
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Yes, hacksaw, or even better, a sawzall with a bimetal bit. I'm sure i've emphasized somewhere within this thread or the forums, but with all the metal shavings, rust and grit involved in replacing your bushings.... its important to take every measure to ensure a everything is clean and lubricated.
    Then cleaner things are, the less likely you will have any squeaks down the road.
    I'm on about year 5 with the prothanes... not a single squeak, even at my rmdsm sway-bars.
    I used denatured alcohol to clean out all of the surfaces(i was afraid acetone would destroy the urethane). I actually had my ex girlfriend apply all of the gorrilla grease to the bushings, the inner sleeves and the bores of the suspension parts while wearing nitrile gloves, and while I held the actually component. That way her gloves wouldn't get dirty, and nothing but clean grease was in the bushings.
    No dirt, no grit, no shavings, no rust.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i what it, feel too much diference?

-Mitsubishi Galant LS 1994 a/t [ SOLD ]

i head of a clubdsmmexico member that the energy one get Fked up in 1 year.
    recomend the prothane one.

-Mitsubishi Galant LS 1994 a/t [ SOLD ]

not true!!

I had Energy for 5 years and when I pulled them out the other day, they had plenty of life in them.

And please do not recommend parts if you haven't experienced it yourself.

And the word "heard" doesnt sound very much like knowledge.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Whats the best grease i can use?? Am planing on waxing out the rust and use alcohol to clean up just like DOHC said

the best grease is the grease they come with. its thick as hell and just plain nasty. Some places sell extra tubs of the energy grease. But prothane and energy pretty much use the same stuff.

As a side note I'd reccomend purchasing the graphite impregnated BLACK prothane or energy bushings. They go the extra mile to help prevent the possibility of squeaking.

As far as wearing out? They should never wear out. Thats kind of the point.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

okay i had some more questions....
    so on this part... do i remove the bracket?? if so do i just put that bushing in?
    and if i have to put a diffrent bracket in, my kit didnt come with them.. but idk help..

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast