The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: BRAKES< BRAKES< BRAKES

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    CNascimento

BRAKES< BRAKES< BRAKES

So I was looking around online and read up on brakes (especially since the 8G's suck) Anyway which brands have you guys heard go thins about or what do you suggest just change the rotors or get new calipers as well... The ones that I have been looking into are Baer Claw, Stainless Steel Brakes, and AEM (for complete systems) and then for just rotors Brembo and Power Slot... What do you guys think????

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    I would got with a whole break upgrade, prolly either the Brembro or Baer...my boy has a AWD tsi and he just upgrade to the GSX 2-piston breaks for some unknown reason, but he said his stopping distance has lessened by 15ft, which is good. LIke myself i know im running with EBC pads, because i want 4 piston slotted rotors, like the ones they have for the GS-T's, but they dont make them for our ride so im going to custom modify the brake system to add it.
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

for a normal person a simple pad and rotor replacement should be good. if you want a lil bit more a brake rotor upgrade like from aem and brembo would be nice but if u want the ultimate, yea the full kits from baer brembo adn a few other companies would be the best choice to go

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I too have looked into this and you are limited to a few OEM replacements rotors out there that would actually work on a Galant. You can't just take rotors made for the Eclipse probably w/o also having the Eclipse calipers too. There seems to be several different sizes and changes from the '99-'03 so you just have to be careful selecting rotors that are for the Eclipse and not specifically for the Galant. manybrews is trying to confirm the front knuckle for me but until then, you best get ONLY replacements specific for the Galant.

Getting a full big brake kit (for the Galant/Eclipse) that comes with the calipers too would almost guarantee you will not have a problem... again assuming the knuckle is the same for Galant/Eclipse and still waiting for confirmation. Brembo, HPRacing, Baer, and Stoptech all make big brake kits with high performance replacement calipers specific for Galant/Eclipse.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

ZEALOT
    does anybody know whether the stock brakes from any of the evos will fit or whether it would be worth it? i havent been able to research this yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZEALOT)</div><div class='quotemain'>does anybody know whether the stock brakes from any of the evos will fit or whether it would be worth it? i havent been able to research this yet.</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Taken From Club 3g
    according to Ty at RRE, the brakes from the famous Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 4-6 are a direct fit for the 2000 Eclipse.

Not only do we share the same fitment as the EVO, but the Master Cylinder of the EVO is the same as the 3G Eclipse (all models of the 3G - RS/GS/GT - share the same Master Cylinder/Brake Booster).

One catch.. there needs to be proper clearance for these brakes. So not only are 17" wheels a minimum requirement, but proper offset is needed as well.
    </div>

so im guessing there could be some kinda of compatability with the evo parts on the galant since the glaant does share many of the brake components with the eclipse. you might wanna contact RRE to see waht they have researched so far for a lil bit more heads up

CNascimento
    Do you guys know the best place to get a complete brake system... I have seen them ranging from $725 - $2015... Does anyone know of any great deals out there because I have not found any big savings yet.... Lots of people have told me that there are no deals when it comes to brake systems because its your investment being protected by being able to stop quicker.... Any way a little more help would be great...

chances are that you're not gonna find a good deal on the big brake kits with the pistons. uhm adventon.com has the aem one for about 1500 while RRE has em for 1700. but the fact is, many of these kits are made to order and unless u have a group buy on em (i doubt one will happen) you're not gonna get a good deal

The only deal I've heard off of retail prices is the Baer Track kit directly from Baer. They are offering free upgrade from one piece to two piece cross-drilled and slotted rotors with free zinc wash. More details on the offer at Club3G and more on the product at Baer's website here http://www.baer.com/Showcase/BaerClawSystems.aspx With all the options, it comes to under $1200.

Ouch! $1200 for brakes is out of my league. I'm going with the $265 GB that Jason has going for Brembos and Axxis pads.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ouch! $1200 for brakes is out of my league. I'm going with the $265 GB that Jason has going for Brembos and Axxis pads.

Chip</div>

Yeah, it's is a lot of money for any full big brake system upgrades. The GB for all for corners is obviously the way to go for OEM replacements!