The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 225/45/18, should I swap it to 225/40/18?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    tesna

225/45/18, should I swap it to 225/40/18?

Hi guys,

Currently I just put 18" enkei (18x7.5, 42 offset) on my 8g jdm galant, but the tires are toyo's 225/45/18. I use that tires since I got it free, but the question is, do 40 profile tires looks better on my galant?

Here's the photos of my galant using 45 profile tires, lowered using koni adjustable shocks and h&r springs.
    (click to enlarge)

going with 225/40 will not only give you a smaller sidewall, but since its closer to the factory tire size, it will make your speedometer a lil bit more accurate.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

tesna
    I'm aware of that, from tire size calculator, the speedo difference with current tires is about 7% slower from my standard rims, whereas if I put 40 profile tires it will be about 3-4%. But since in my country where I live there is no such thing as speed limit, so it's not that important to have accurate speedo

But how about braking performance? hmm..

Sweet ride, I like the way your car sits. Where do you live that there are no speed limits I am moving. The 40's will ive you a little more gap, but nothing that noticable I don't think. The 45's offer you a little more cushion but we are only talking 10mm but that 10mm may be what saves you if you hit a hole.

tesna
    hehe, thanks. I live in Jakarta, Indonesia. Actually there are speed limits in here, but never enforced. The road condition in here also not good, there are a lot of potholes! I was using 19" with 35 profile tires, then I decided to downgrade to 18". My 19" were bent altough I was driving it carefully. I hope this will lasts longer.

i like the look of 45's better than 40's. i may change mine
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

tesna
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestar22
    i like the look of 45's better than 40's. i may change mine
    Really? My friend told me my car looks using 17" rims due to bigger tire profile. From the picgure I gathered on the net (and this forums too) 8g with 40 profile looks much nicer..

Btw, I heard changing rims any larger than 3% than stock without upgrading the brakes, it will have much longer stopping distance, and it may fail. Is that true?

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    i would say that's kinda pushin it.. that's way too thin... well if you got the cash then why the heck not..

TESNA... dari JKT yah? Me too... Live in US.

tesna
    finally I put 225/40/18 rubber in it, I'm satisfied with it, looks lil better. But I'm thinking to change the rims to DTM forged wheels 18x8 offset 38. I know that they would probably will fit, but I'm curious how will they look in 8G galant since the wheel position will increase 1 cm wider on outside (from wheel offset calculator)

Anyone got 8g galant with 18x8 with offset 38 on theirs? Some photos of it would be much appreciated :)

Here are some pics of my rims which are 18x8 38mm offset. If you dont want crazy neg. camber then I would suggest rolling your fenders. My fenders aren't rolled now and I rub every now and then. I have some neg. camber though.

My car can go much lower but I dont it wouldn't be a good idea right now until i get new rims

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i stayed riding on 40's but depending on the road makes or breaks your rims. Im riding on 45's now. A lil bit more smooth ride.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678