The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g63 questions

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 49 of 49
    Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bigg Boi)</div><div class='quotemain'>Definately wanting to know what stewi has to say on the ECU... Looking around at block prices online, a 64 block is all kinds of cheap. The internals experience is going to be the same either way. I'm not going to go half assed into this so whether it's a 63 or a 64, the internals are getting upgraded. When I said 400hp goal, I was saying it because I've only worked intensly on Hondas (no flaming... it's good a way of gaining experience on a smaller budget). 400 is a healthy goal for those engines. So, like any tuner, if I can go higher, then why not? My monthly budget is nowhere near extrodinary but it's decent so the progress will be at a steadily mellow pace til after october when my g/f's lease is done and she moves in which cuts my already low bills in half. Â*

My favorite part of this whole thing is that I'll finally be able to do the one thing I've wanted to do for years. Build an engine in the conforts of my living room (dining room technically). Funny thing is i'm not even allowed to have a cat cuz of the new carpet. But my annual inspection was done last week so I wont be hearing from then for a long time. </div>

goodluck post pix when u get started.. u know alot of us here dream of going there... have fun.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Man, I missed all these replies. Ok here goes, this is going to be a long post.... im trying to start at the top of the 2nd page and answer questions in the order they were asked or correct any incorrent info.

the 4G64 does not have longer rods. The crank has a bigger stroke which is the cause for increased displacement. Believe it or not, the stock 8g 4G64 rods are the same as stock EVO rods, same part#'s. There are many combo's you can do and here they are.....
    2.0 liter = 2.0 block and 2.0 crank and internals
    2.1 liter = 2.4 block, 2.0 crank, 156mm rods, custom pistons (kits avail)
    2.3 liter = 2.0 block, 2.4 crank, stock size rods, custom pistons (kits avail)
    2.4 liter = 2.4 block, 2.4 crank and internals
    2.4 liter long rod = same as 2.4 parts, but custom length rods and pistons
    the longer rod gives a better rod ratio which allows for higher revs, safer

im going to discuss safe rev limits on all these motors. these limits are assuming you have an upgraded valve train.

2.0 = 9,000RPMs
    2.1 = 10,500RPMs
    2.3 = 7,500RPMs
    2.4 = 7,500RPMs
    2.4 LR =8,000RPMs

* I DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES RECOMMEND REVVING THE 2.1 LITER TO 10,500 RPMs ALTHOUGH IT HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE, SAFELY. IF YOU WANNA REV THAT HIGH, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALOT OF EXTRA CASH TO FIX IT IF/WHEN IT BREAKS*

The Kia and the EVO head are not the same. Physically kinda, but not perfect. The water passages for the thermostat housing are not like the EVO's , the internals are not exactly the same, there is no hole to feed oil to the turbo. For the money you would spend on a bare kia head then all the parts to make it work, you can get an assembled complete EVO head for almost the same money, dont be cheap.

The 64 blocks and 63 blocks are both just as strong as the other. Believe it or not, Mitsu only has 1 casting. They cast a 4G64 block, deck it shorter, bore it less and add all the needed ports to make an EVO block, its the same thing. You can add oil squirters to a 64 block if you wish, however I really dont believe in them unless your doing hardcore road course racing. Some 4G64 blocks do have holes for knock sensors. I had a bare 4G64 block from a 2001 Eclipse that had this hole already there.

The 2.0 motor is nice, its a proven design. The 2.4 motor is a nice motor for a street/strip car, you will have more low end power and less turbo lag which makes for nice fun drives. If your only drag racing, the 2.0 is fine because your gonna be revving the hell out if it anyway so it will make good top end power. The 2.3 is also a nice street motor, good option for EVO guys who already have the block's, for us, a 2.4 is just as easy because we have the blocks and cranks. Any motor is only as strong as you build it. Use parts from reputable companies i.e. Eagle, Wiseco, Crower, Pauter, Manley, CP, Ross, JE, Arias, Carillo, etc.
    Dont use used internals. When you build a block, everything is "made to order" so to speak. You dont just go to a machinist and say, "polish this crank and bore this block" If the machinist is reputable and you say that to him, he will usually tell you to go to hell. You need ALL the parts to do it. Each cylinder is individually bored to fit the pistons. Let say one piston of the four is slightly smaller, im talking like .001 smaller, its cylinder will be bored out .001 smaller to compensate. You cant polish a crank without the rods and bearings, because you need to check the tolerances so you know how much "room" you have to polish before things get out of spec. Its also important to let them know what type of headgasket you will be using. In most cases you will use a multi layer steel or better known as a MLS headgasket, which requires both the block and head surfaces to be completely, perfectly flat and polished to a certain spec.
    Ahhhh....now on the world of ECU's. I know there are guys on EVOm with 2.4 DOHC motors running stock EVO ECU's that have been reflashed, so I know thats an option. In theory, you SHOULD be able to use a 3g ECU and get that flashed too but I cant be 100% sure. Best option is to rewire your stock harness ends to plug into the 3g/EVO ECU. The 3g ECU and EVO ECU have the same pin configuration. If your not the wiring type, contact Boomslang for an adaptor, or talk to GOOSEY, I think he spoke with them about making an adaptor harness that converts ours into the 3g connectors. Ideally you want a standalone if you can afford it AEM EMS seems to be the most popular because everyone and their mother knows how to use them. Keep this advice. Just because everyone knows how to use them, doesnt mean they know how to tune motors, or your motor for that fact. Choose a reputable tuner. EVOm has a whole section dedicated to different standalone systems.
    When your doing your project, try to focus on each "system" individually. I know when I was doing mine, I was like a chicken with its head cut off. One day I was wiring a standalone (damn I wish I went plug n play) the next day I was running fuel lines, The next I was doing intercooler pipes, but nothing was completed. Try to complete each system before you jump to the next, sometimes this isnt possible, but try. Any wiring you need to do, get it done with the motor ouf of the car, makes things ALOT easier. Also with the motor out its the perfect time to scrubb all that dirt out of your engine bay and paint it (if you want to) if not, just clean it. If your swapping to 5 speed, also much easier if the motor is out of the car. No matter which combo you choose, the 3g tranny will bolt to both the 4g63 and the 4g64. Important side note, the stock EVO turbo/manifold combo puts the turbo too close to block to the point where you cant fit the starter in place. The EVO starter is under the trans, ours is in the front toward the top, the only way to avoid this is to use a Tearstone manifold and a T3/4 turbo, Make a spacer like Cali did, make a custom manifold, or use a 2g manifold and a DSM turbo and face it the wrong way. If you opt to use a 2g FWD DSM flywheel, you need a starter from a 2g FWD DSM. You also need to put a washer between the starter and the trans bell housing, the 2g starter is just slightly longer, you need a 1/8" washer, or any spacers or combo's of washers that amount to 1/8" If not you run the risk of the starter hitting the inside of the bell housing and cracking it, I learned this the hard way, trust me. I think that covers everything. Any more quetions, just post here and I will answer its easier then PM's because I must get like PM's a week asking the same questions.
    In closing, always keep this in mind during your build....

Cheap and fast wont be reliable...
    Reliable and cheap wont be fast...
    Fast and reliable wont be cheap...
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

double post my bad
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'>Man, I missed all these replies. Ok here goes, this is going to be a long post.... im trying to start at the top of the 2nd page and answer questions in the order they were asked or correct any incorrent info.

the 4G64 does not have longer rods. The crank has a bigger stroke which is the cause for increased displacement. Believe it or not, the stock 8g 4G64 rods are the same as stock EVO rods, same part#'s. There are many combo's you can do and here they are.....
    2.0 liter = 2.0 block and 2.0 crank and internals
    2.1 liter = 2.4 block, 2.0 crank, 156mm rods, custom pistons (kits avail)
    2.3 liter = 2.0 block, 2.4 crank, stock size rods, custom pistons (kits avail)
    2.4 liter = 2.4 block, 2.4 crank and internals
    2.4 liter long rod = same as 2.4 parts, but custom length rods and pistons
    the longer rod gives a better rod ratio which allows for higher revs, safer

im going to discuss safe rev limits on all these motors. these limits are assuming you have an upgraded valve train.

2.0 = 9,000RPMs
    2.1 = 10,500RPMs
    2.3 = 7,500RPMs
    2.4 = 7,500RPMs
    2.4 LR =8,000RPMs

* I DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES RECOMMEND REVVING THE 2.1 LITER TO 10,500 RPMs ALTHOUGH IT HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE, SAFELY. IF YOU WANNA REV THAT HIGH, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALOT OF EXTRA CASH TO FIX IT IF/WHEN IT BREAKS*

The Kia and the EVO head are not the same. Physically kinda, but not perfect. The water passages for the thermostat housing are not like the EVO's , the internals are not exactly the same, there is no hole to feed oil to the turbo. For the money you would spend on a bare kia head then all the parts to make it work, you can get an assembled complete EVO head for almost the same money, dont be cheap.

The 64 blocks and 63 blocks are both just as strong as the other. Believe it or not, Mitsu only has 1 casting. They cast a 4G64 block, deck it shorter, bore it less and add all the needed ports to make an EVO block, its the same thing. You can add oil squirters to a 64 block if you wish, however I really dont believe in them unless your doing hardcore road course racing. Some 4G64 blocks do have holes for knock sensors. I had a bare 4G64 block from a 2001 Eclipse that had this hole already there.

The 2.0 motor is nice, its a proven design. The 2.4 motor is a nice motor for a street/strip car, you will have more low end power and less turbo lag which makes for nice fun drives. If your only drag racing, the 2.0 is fine because your gonna be revving the hell out if it anyway so it will make good top end power. The 2.3 is also a nice street motor, good option for EVO guys who already have the block's, for us, a 2.4 is just as easy because we have the blocks and cranks. Any motor is only as strong as you build it. Use parts from reputable companies i.e. Eagle, Wiseco, Crower, Pauter, Manley, CP, Ross, JE, Arias, Carillo, etc. Â*
    Â* Â* Â* Dont use used internals. When you build a block, everything is "made to order" so to speak. You dont just go to a machinist and say, "polish this crank and bore this block" If the machinist is reputable and you say that to him, he will usually tell you to go to hell. You need ALL the parts to do it. Each cylinder is individually bored to fit the pistons. Let say one piston of the four is slightly smaller, im talking like .001 smaller, its cylinder will be bored out .001 smaller to compensate. You cant polish a crank without the rods and bearings, because you need to check the tolerances so you know how much "room" you have to polish before things get out of spec. Its also important to let them know what type of headgasket you will be using. In most cases you will use a multi layer steel or better known as a MLS headgasket, which requires both the block and head surfaces to be completely, perfectly flat and polished to a certain spec.
    Â* Â* Â* Ahhhh....now on the world of ECU's. I know there are guys on EVOm with 2.4 DOHC motors running stock EVO ECU's that have been reflashed, so I know thats an option. In theory, you SHOULD be able to use a 3g ECU and get that flashed too but I cant be 100% sure. Best option is to rewire your stock harness ends to plug into the 3g/EVO ECU. The 3g ECU and EVO ECU have the same pin configuration. If your not the wiring type, contact Boomslang for an adaptor, or talk to GOOSEY, I think he spoke with them about making an adaptor harness that converts ours into the 3g connectors. Ideally you want a standalone if you can afford it AEM EMS seems to be the most popular because everyone and their mother knows how to use them. Keep this advice. Just because everyone knows how to use them, doesnt mean they know how to tune motors, or your motor for that fact. Choose a reputable tuner. EVOm has a whole section dedicated to different standalone systems.
    Â* Â* Â* When your doing your project, try to focus on each "system" individually. I know when I was doing mine, I was like a chicken with its head cut off. One day I was wiring a standalone (damn I wish I went plug n play) the next day I was running fuel lines, The next I was doing intercooler pipes, but nothing was completed. Try to complete each system before you jump to the next, sometimes this isnt possible, but try. Any wiring you need to do, get it done with the motor ouf of the car, makes things ALOT easier. Also with the motor out its the perfect time to scrubb all that dirt out of your engine bay and paint it (if you want to) if not, just clean it. If your swapping to 5 speed, also much easier if the motor is out of the car. No matter which combo you choose, the 3g tranny will bolt to both the 4g63 and the 4g64. Important side note, the stock EVO turbo/manifold combo puts the turbo too close to block to the point where you cant fit the starter in place. The EVO starter is under the trans, ours is in the front toward the top, the only way to avoid this is to use a Tearstone manifold and a T3/4 turbo, Make a spacer like Cali did, make a custom manifold, or use a 2g manifold and a DSM turbo and face it the wrong way. If you opt to use a 2g Â*FWD DSM flywheel, you need a starter from a 2g FWD DSM. You also need to put a washer between the starter and the trans bell housing, the 2g starter is just slightly longer, you need a 1/8" washer, or any spacers or combo's of washers that amount to 1/8" If not you run the risk of the starter hitting the inside of the bell housing and cracking it, I learned this the hard way, trust me. I think that covers everything. Any more quetions, just post here and I will answer its easier then PM's because I must get like PM's a week asking the same questions.
    In closing, always keep this in mind during your build....

Cheap and fast wont be reliable...
    Reliable and cheap wont be fast...
    Fast and reliable wont be cheap...</div>

all hail the great stewi!!! u answered all of my questions!! thx but one last thing what do you think of the MIVEC cylinder head? from the evo 9

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

sorry for the double post up there.

anyway, I was looking up parts and I can't seem to find any aftermarket or any froged pistons, rods, etc. online. I know crowere made them but when I looked on their site it didnt have the 64 on the list. so who has stronger internal pieces for the 2.4 block?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    The MIVEC head is good for the EVO9, because the EVO9 ECU knows how to control it. It helps with spool, throttle response and overall power. If your building a high performance motor, your going to have other less complicated ways of making power, like just turning up the boost and getting tuned. Although MIVEC is a good idea, to integrate it into an engine it wasnt designed for could be very costly and I think the cost will weigh more then the performance gain from it.

Crower does not make pistons. Crower makes rods, cranks, cams, valve springs and retainers. The pistons you see sometimes on crower's website are JE or SRP pistons (SRP is made by JE) As far as I know, the only companies who make off the shelf pistons for the 4G64 are CP and Wiseco. The CP one is designed for an SOHC 4G64, I have never physically seen one, so im not sure if the piston top is flat or dished and i dont know how big the valve reliefts are if they would clear the EVO valves. Wiseco makes pistons specifically designed for the 4G64 w/EVO head combo. You can buy these from RRE, Slowboy Racing or Race Engineering. RRE also has a custom piston that they designed (which is very nice, might I add) that was manufactured by Wiseco to RRE specs. RRE designs and sells top of the line products, period. They may not always be the cheapest, but they have what you need, if they dont, they can get it or make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    hehehehehe smaller displacement higher compressions.... why do we think hondas are sooooo fast at takin off..

stewi knows his stuff

i agree, if i were to do everything over i would go with the 2.4. i have the opportunity to do that now but because im in california my goal was to make a "street" legal swap that wouldnt get me into the sort of trouble peonation got into.

in the end, it's really what your goal is. do you want a reliable, daily driven car at the cost of sacrificing huge numbers? or do you want big power knowing that things will have the tendency to go wrong sometimes? of course, there's always middle ground.

my advice to someone wanting to do this swap is decide on what you goal is, and go from there. a 2.4 bottom end would make for a great daily driver as long as you get reliable engine management. i know of a evo guy locally who is running a 2.4 with his evo ecu that has been tuned properly.

im actually contemplating building a either a 2.3 or 2.4 when i make the move back to miami, and throw it in the daily driver for a sleeper effect.

last note on the wiring, i havent really looked into it but i have the feeling that if you are able to grab an 3g engine harness it SHOULD plug right into the connector for the main harness in the car. jump a few pins like the eclipse guys do and voila, your done. i wired up an evo harness into my main harness and it was a PITA to do but it worked.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanaticsâ„¢ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

aight cool im so close to my goal its not even funny.

I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

today was my first day of school and its all I could thnk about

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123