The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car dies in IDLE FIXED!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 38 of 38
    Wierd... all of sudden mine is dying when trying to idle (meaning, it will not idle). I have to keep it reving at about 1000RPM to keep it on. Soon as let of the gas just straight dies...

No SES light and everything looks like it should.

Gonna go play with all the fun things pointed out in this thread. I cleaned the throttle body last week with some brake cleaner and all's been good, until today. No symptoms, hints, or clues that issues were coming.

Please post up anything else you may think I should look at or diagnose. THANX in advance.

E

FIXED: Just unscrewed the adjustment(?) screw and tightened it back up. Closing whatever vacuum leak it was causing (I guess).

Fawk! That didn't fix it.

Sometimes it's fine and someimes I still have the same issue. I hate intermittent issues!!! Is my IAC going out (normal symptoms of it dying) or what else can I check?

New IAC =

Autozone $319
    Dealer $356
    NAPA $351 (they had part # and price, but it was available to even order).

Anyways, I don't wanna have to buy the IAC unless I can tell for sure that it's the problem. I rigged the throttle linkage this AM (just in case) and even tho I thought I did things right, and basically it still got stuck and revved almost to redline, so I unrigged it. Has run great since then, but I worry that the problem will just reappear.

malicious
    I feel like the last post is so close to helping me out with my 01 es v6 that is having idle/dieing problems but the picks are so small ... and I don't really understand the post either...

thanks for tryin...

mal

edit: i meant the post with the picks

edit 2: mine is also intermittent - have not attempted any fixes yet .. just got my evap drain figured out .. i love my galant but shIt .... stuff breaks... the idle problem also seems to affect the automatic transmission .. not the actually gears but the reving as it up and down shifts

Well... after I tried to rig the throttle linkage and it got stuck (rigging the idle - not a recommended move), it's been working fine. The RPMs went to redline before I shut it down...

So, my theory is that after multiple cleanings with brake cleaner, something got lodged and when it went to redline, must've cleared it out somewhere. I never did remove the throttle body to clean it, so it's very possible. Hope this helps someone else.

malicious
    my problem is i don't know what a throttle body is or where to look for it... lol

i could fix mine but i need a freakin step by step pictorial lol..

thanks anyway

I dunno where to point you to get the factory service manual... If you PM me, I'll try to host it somewhere for you to download.

on page 13A-436 it tells you how to clean it and it even says to plug the 2 little bypass ports (which I did not)... that might've been my issue.

Anyways, easy as heck and I'll try to take some pics and give you a quick write up.

Just very busy finishing up an engine swap into one of my Supras this weekend and if you don't PM me, I won't think about Galant-related stuff 'til early next week.

malicious
    thanks for the offer

i think i got it

mine does this too intermittently...i will take a look at soem of these things tomorrow

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

Ok, read through this thread and not sure if my symptoms are the same or not....
    Car died tonight. It was in park idling around 800 as usual and then fan kicked in....then kicked out......car began dipping up and down between 800 and 100 rpm....then died.
    I heard a clicking noise from the area where the belts are....I turned over and started and I attempted to recreate the problem.....took five minutes but it stalled again.

I drove it and it was fine even at stop lights....got home and attempted to recreate the problem, again the clicking noise....I turned the fan on high and then off....took around seven minutes but it finally died.

it fired up again just fine and nothing for minutes on end.....any ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by D8
    Ok, read through this thread and not sure if my symptoms are the same or not....
    Car died tonight. It was in park idling around 800 as usual and then fan kicked in....then kicked out......car began dipping up and down between 800 and 100 rpm....then died.
    I heard a clicking noise from the area where the belts are....I turned over and started and I attempted to recreate the problem.....took five minutes but it stalled again.

I drove it and it was fine even at stop lights....got home and attempted to recreate the problem, again the clicking noise....I turned the fan on high and then off....took around seven minutes but it finally died.

it fired up again just fine and nothing for minutes on end.....any ideas??
    mines been acting weird since yesterday too. it would be fine then if i turned off the car for a few minutes it would do it again. i thought it might be cause i got my transmission drained and filled but i dont think that would cause it to die. after i drive it around for a little it goes away until i start the car up again. also when its happening it does not want to get out of first gear. but once it does it shifts through the rest fine. after that one time, that tranmission will shift just fine even when from a dead stop. soo i dont know whats going on

I cleaned the throttle body and washed/re-oiled my cone filter. Problems are gone.
    maybe that will help.

mine doesnt do it much at all. but mainly when the car is warm. and now its not going really low, it just goes as low as 500 rpm and it hesitates to go. but after that one time its fine just as long as i dont turn the car off

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

Just a quick q... Whats the normal Idle RPM?

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    700 RPM
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

HELP!!!

OK, I am having a similar problem but need to know if I need to replace my IAC or not?

I was cleaning my throttle body w/ MAF sensor cleaner, and didnt know I needed to cover up the air ducts that lead to the IAC, bcz I didnt know it lead to the IAC. So I connected everything back and didnt wipe anything bcz it looked like it all evaporated. So my car starts running like crap. Then my Check Engine Light came on the next day.

I adjusted the screw on the TB so my car would run, bcz it would stall whenver it was stopped, (i.e. in Neutral or Park, unless I revved the engine.)

So I then cleaned off the Manifold Differential Pressure Sensor, bcz it was wet with solvent and dirt(I guess from cleaning the TB), and then cleaned the TPS Sensor, and then got to the IAC and saw the tip was black.

So I tried to wipe the dirt and solvent off with a rag, and it wasnt getting clean enough. So I used some "Extra Super Fine" steel wool to clean the tip. Put everything back, and crossed my fingers.

Next day the engine started Idling too high on its own after I had tuned it to up 700 RPM. Then when I tuned it down, and parked the car, came back to drive it, it was stalling again, so I had to tune it back up Again!

Check Engine light is still on mind you. I went to my mechanic to have him check the ECU code, it was [P0507 Engine RPM higher that expected for current engine operating conditions.]

SOOOO!!! Im frustrated, confused, and short on CASH. I dont have $300 for an IAC, but if I have to get one, I will try a Salvage Yard or save up to get one. BUT Is this the only thing I need to replace, and will it solve the problem? And how can I be sure? And how do I know how to get my TB screw adjusted back to the right setting? HELP!!!
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

iac motor

i found a iac motor on the internet at www.autoparts.com for 150 new i think its the web sit i also found the hard to find roll mount too for $37 if you cant finf it I will search it more let me know 8)

Re: iac motor

Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer
    i found a iac motor on the internet at www.autoparts.com for 150 new i think its the web sit i also found the hard to find roll mount too for $37 if you cant finf it I will search it more let me know 8)
    I looked up the websites and the prices were $300 & up. I think Ima look around at some local junkyards if not some1 offered me a TB w/ a one attached. If any1 else has any offers for an IAC, for a 4G64, lmk ASAP!
    JDM Zenki Conversion

I am having the same problem too with my TURBO 4g64. When my car is cold, it hesitates to start so i have to gas it and keep my foot on gas until its warm. Once its warm it starts to idle around 500-900rpm range. I checked all the symptoms possible like, boost leaks, vaccume leaks, battery, alternator, cleaned the MAF, and replaced the spark plugs. There is also knocking sound which i think its coming from the internals. If the piston rods are my problem, ill post up the results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12