The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: washers as a camber kit on jdm 8g

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    tesna

washers as a camber kit on jdm 8g

Today I go to an alignment place, and they said I need to install camber kits to adjust the camber on the rear, since I got -2.5 degrees at the rear. They also recommend using washers as a cheap way to adjust my camber. I also read some tutorials on the net (including tgc) to use washers.

So I decided to use that, bought 8 of 40mm bolts and 32 washers. After I installed it (4 washers on each bolt), I'm quite suprised that the rear suspension height is increased by almost 1 inch!! And when I test drive it, the rears feels much stiffer than before. What's causing this? supposedly adding washers only affects the camber not the height, am I right? I'm confused.

The height of my front and rear setup can be adjusted (I'm using koni shocks and h&r springs), and currently they are in highest position. But the question is, if I lower the height of my rears, I'm affraid the camber will be increased again. If that's the case, I better take off the washers and live with it.

Can somebody help me on this? Did I do something wrong on installing the washers? I already search and read tutorials in this forum, I think I didn't made any mistakes.

As a guide, here the picture of my car before using the washers, and after using the washers. (Sorry for crappy picture)

Before:

After:

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks,

Tesna

Man Nice car and nice tile in the garage... I love that look... but anways... Im not sure why people say camber should not effect height of vehicle... i mean with a negative camber your wheels are tilted and not sitting straight up witch allows them to seem lower and "tuck"... when sitting straight up you sit on more tire and is taking more space which should make you sit heigher... Atleast that just seems right....

I mean does the camber really effect your tires that much? If not i say just ride with the negative camber if it looks and rides better...
    2000 Galant With 20 Inch TeZZen Wheels
    Rapped in Nitto 555 Z Rate 225/35/20 Tires!!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/350820/

Yeah I have other stuff too but who cares LOL!

If I understand right, it seems like you are adjusting the shocks and not the springs. The shocks will get stiffer by adjusting them and shouldnt affect the ride height only minimally due to your springs supporting the height. I think you should be fine if you adjust it and you wouldnt need to add more washers. I did the washer camber to my car because the tires I had previously wore really bad on the inside due to the negative camber.

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

tesna
    Thanks for your compliment and response man

Hmm, that's makes sense, I was also think the height will be increased a lil bit (couple mm), but not this much?

Yes negative 2.5 camber does effect the tires much. My previous 19" tires only last for about 1 year, I was expecting the tires will last at least 2 years minimum, as my standard 15" tires on standard height last for more than 3 years. As the price of 19" tires is getting ridiculus, I downgrade to 18". So now I'm thinking to get it right and fix my camber.

Yeah i understand... 1 year for a new tire to me seems quick... my low pros lasted me 80K miles before i replaced them and they still had like 30% treading left... but also im a very slow cautious driver LOL I hardly ever brake hard or gas fast.....

Well try lowering it more with the correct camber and see what it does....
    2000 Galant With 20 Inch TeZZen Wheels
    Rapped in Nitto 555 Z Rate 225/35/20 Tires!!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/350820/

Yeah I have other stuff too but who cares LOL!

tesna
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChuloMxcn)</div><div class='quotemain'>If I understand right, it seems like you are adjusting the shocks and not the springs. Â*The shocks will get stiffer by adjusting them and shouldnt affect the ride height only minimally due to your springs supporting the height. Â*I think you should be fine if you adjust it and you wouldnt need to add more washers. Â*I did the washer camber to my car because the tires I had previously wore really bad on the inside due to the negative camber.</div>

My koni shocks apart from adjusting the damper, it can also adjust the height by moving the springs support up or down. Similar to coilover setup, but this one u need to remove the shocks from the car, remove the springs, then u can adjust the springs support (where the springs will sit on the shock). I wasn't adjusting the damper of my shocks when I installed the washers. Magically the height are increased and the damper rate also increased.

Btw, how many washers did u use per bolt? did you experiencing same/similar problem as me? After you put the washers, did the ride height is increased significantly?

tesna
    update, today I tried to lower the springs support by 2 cm to lower my galant. But the strange thing is, the height still the same.. :? Then I tried to remove 2 washers on each bolt, so I only use 2 washers. After that my galant is dropped to the height I want (the height before the washers are installed). I haven't do the alignment again, but from the looks, it seems it still have noticeable negative camber. :?

Tomorow I'll go to the alignment place, and ask for their recommendation. Any recommendation from any of you guys here?

If you adjust the settings on the shocks you are adjusting the damping rebound of the shock (ie how it responds fast the shock responds to bumps). The H&R springs lower your car a fixed distance. If your shocks are actually adjustable, then you can change the ride height.

Now as far as camber adding camber plates/washers etc, straightens the wheels...going from / to | |. Since you are moving the wheel along its axis, its apparent ride height will appear to increase, for example, if you wheels are like | | with 18 in rims + 225/40/18R tires you apparent ride height will be maximized (height maximized when tire is perpendicular to the ground). The ride height to tire centerline can be calculated by (Tire width in mm x aspect ratio) + (Rim diameter/2)...in this case ride height to tire center line = 12.54".

When you tires are like / you can calculate the height to tire centerline by max centerline tire height x cos(angle of tire to vertical) = assuming the tire is 15 degrees from vertical, ride height to centerline = 12.11" 15 degrees is not that big a deviation from vertical, also consider that camber angle does not equal actual angle, an actual 1 degree movement from vertical (90 degrees), you would never be able to see the difference.
    Mayonnaise colored Benz---I push Miracle Whips
    -K. West

tesna
    today I go to alignment place. My camber at the back is -1.49 and -1.7 degrees, which is quite good than before (-2.5 degrees)

When I go to the alignment place, the mechanics told me to change the front right long lower arms first, if not the car can't aligned properly. So I change the long lower arms, ball joints, long ball joints, on both right and left sides. Damn, I'm totally broke now