The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pulley problem

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    7gSoldier

Pulley problem

hi. My 7g Galant has a bad belt squeal when I first start it and eats through a belt about every 3 weeks. I've had several people look at it and we think it's because the pulley which drives the Alternator and A/C belts is dinged up and has some rough texture in the ribbing. Problem is I can not find a replacement anywhere. Does anybody know where I can find one or atleast what the part number/technical name might be?

fastmgalant97
    u might wanna check the junkyard u might find some good ones there if ur lucky............ A/C pulley and altenator pulley are the proper names for them

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Which pulley is exactly "damaged"? Make sure also your crank pulley (Harmonic Balancer) is in good shape...they are known to fail. Due to the crank pulley being most exposed to road elements, oil leaks, and time in general will make the rubber insulator weak and the seperate from the actual ring of the pulley.

Just check which pulley needs replacing and replace it. Good Luck

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4-G-rim)</div><div class='quotemain'>Which pulley is exactly "damaged"? Make sure also your crank pulley (Harmonic Balancer) is in good shape...they are known to fail. Due to the crank pulley being most exposed to road elements, oil leaks, and time in general will make the rubber insulator weak and the seperate from the actual ring of the pulley. Â*

Just check which pulley needs replacing and replace it. Good Luck</div>

X2 I had the same problem. I bought a new harmonic balancer and it went away.