The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G-anyone done a muffler under....

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    8G_GTZ

8G-anyone done a muffler under....

under the middle of the car near the cat and had the rest of the exhaust ran to an exhaust tip? I thought about that and it could sound a little different.

Steve

Experienced TGC Member
    My current turbo setup terminates before where the stock cat would usually sit.

It's very loud. To the point that its embarrassing to drive around.

I can only imagine that it would sound worst with NA.

If you want a small taste of what your asking for, take the stock muffler off for a day or two.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>My current turbo setup terminates before where the stock cat would usually sit.

It's very loud. Â*To the point that its embarrassing to drive around. Â*

I can only imagine that it would sound worst with NA.

If you want a small taste of what your asking for, take the stock muffler off for a day or two.</div>

and turbo's actually quiet the exhaust ALOT

but just taking off the muffler can actually sound decent... especially on the v6.
    although i still think its trashy and woudln't reccomend it unless you are dirt poor and just HAVE to make noise

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    i wouldn't try it if i were you.. that would be too loud.. it's like cutting ur exhaust right were ur headers end..

i dont think hs talking about running no muffler... just pu the muffler near the cat and then run piping to an aftermarket exhaust tip. so there would be a muffler just not in the spot where it is now...

am i right 8g_gtz?
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

8G_GTZ
    thats exactly what i'm talking about. I AM going to run a muffler, and add piping and just a dual tip at the end. but I thought about a single inlet 2.5" and dual outlet 2.25" with pipes and dual tips at the end. I don't know if I want to run duals or single. Either way, there will be no resonators. still 2 stock cats. pre and main.

Steve

if you can find a muffler with a small enough canister it could be a possibility. or even scrapping the mufflers and just getting a bigger resonator. the last thing you'd want is a muffler that sticks out from the bottom of the car to catch road debris and to get smashed onto speed bumps.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

but wut is the diff from running it from were it is now or running it how u want too?

8G_GTZ
    little bit louder and no big muffler at the end. I looked underneath the car and there is plenty of room for a dynomax(what i want to use) under there.

Steve

the only reason it would be louder is just because you removed the resonators. you would just have a more unique location of your muffler. but becareful of heat. performance mufflers put off alot more heat.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    this is a very interesting topic. I was reading a thread on EVOM written by Buschur Racing that had this similar idea. They had am EVO that was making in the upwards of 375whp and it was loud and they wanted to see if changing the exhaust configuration would quiet it down and not hurt performance. They actually used a barrel type muffler, I believe it was a magnaflow and mounts it under the car where the cat would be and I think they only lost a few whp and it had a decent reduction of sound. I dont think they had any cat in the car tho, so your results may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

cj_sparky
    i have done the dual exhaust the way your thinking about and it sounds pretty damn good i used a 2 1/4" by 14" over all length magnaflow and its only 4" in diameter with a y, ill try to get some pics and sound bites