The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ahh, the Automatic (a question)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

Ahh, the Automatic (a question)

Alright, after a month of driving I think my car's transmission has finally learned how I drive!

My question for the Galant gurus is this: Does the automatic transmission ever redline?

I ask this because I've driven at WOT with both overdrive on and off, and not once has it hit 6k rpms. I did notice that it will shift closer to redline when overdrive is off.

Is this something built in for self preservation, or is it some kill-joy that serves no purpose what-so-ever?

On a side note, I have read here and other places that these automatics are on the weak side. Is there anything to correct this?

Educate me on automatics if anything! Maybe then I won't hate them...

-Ian

P.S. I did a quick search and the first several returns weren't of much use. Your input here is appreciated!
    1996 Galant S

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    ya there's a govenuer to cover that, but why would you wanna redline anyway?

P.S.

Nice Sig!

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

sounds like you're probably just not opening the throttle enough.
    do you have a bunch of floor mats wedged under the pedal?
    is the throttle cable adjusted correctly?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    My car always redlined at the 6200 RPM or whatever it was supposed to. Mannybrew is correct, check the floormat and the throttle cable at the throttle body.
    7g for life!

To bronxbombr: I'm redlining it now just because I can. However, when I start autocrossing this car I'm going to want that extra 2/300 rpm! Thanks on the sig!

To manybrews: I may not be opening the throttle enough, she is 10 years old now. The first day out I threw the floor mat to the back seat...because I could only muster 4k rpms!

I'll check to see if my cable is adjusted, but if bronxbombr is correct on this (he sounds spot on) then short of doing mods to the TCU there's really not-a-whole-lot I can do.

Thanks guys!
    1996 Galant S

6200 rpms?? Now that would make me happy. The next sunny day, gents...I'll keep you posted!
    1996 Galant S

Its risky but you can try to adjust the throttle cable from the cruise control servo box. The little black box thats attached to the firewall on the passenger side of the car. There are 2 ends and cables in there, follow the lead from the intake manifold throttle cable to the box and tighten accordingly. Dont over do it tho

Have fun and dont redline too much or we will see you here talking about a blown motor or popped timing belt.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i thought the GS was the only 7G that could rev to 6200, unless seth's talking about his 4g63

hate to break the bad news, but you have the infamous mitsubishi automatic transmission. it's going to break very soon, and there's nothing you can do to it but bulletproof it for a couple grand and risk the bulletproofing kit itself being total trash.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Ah yes, the days of level 10.
    Garbage, phooey

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bronxbombr)</div><div class='quotemain'>Have fun and dont redline too much or we will see you here talking about a blown motor or popped timing belt.</div>

eh, i got my money on the trainy goin first.. lmao

galant kid, have fun but be carefull.. ur right it is 10 years old. and it can brake
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SuperGALANT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bronxbombr)</div><div class='quotemain'>Have fun and dont redline too much or we will see you here talking about a blown motor or popped timing belt.</div>

eh, i got my money on the trainy goin first.. lmao

galant kid, have fun but be carefull.. ur right it is 10 years old. and it can brake</div>

On a side note, it was raining today and I finally got it up to a full 6050 rpms, spinning thru the very beginning of second.

Damn lower gear ratios + slush box to begin with. I envy the manual trans guys who chirp second. As soon as my car hit second gear all the fun stopped and it caught on. (Insert pissed off smiley _here_)

And careful is what I am doing. I do have more than enough money for the manual swap. (Something I want, but have no suitable space to do at the moment.) So one day I will purposely break the damn thing...just not soon! (Purposely soon. I have no control over it breaking on it's own!)

Now, let's say this together class: "THANK YOU MITSUBISHI FOR MAKING SUCH A WONDERFUL AUTOMATIC!"

One more thing, since it is still raining over here in the HV, I haven't gotten around to checking the throttle cable. I'll be doing that tomorrow or whenever it's dry enough to do so!

Thanks for the imput guys. Good job.
    1996 Galant S

Proto
    before my cluster went, mine would hit about 6500 before maxing out. heres an old vid.

Click here to see Video

LOL, i've hit that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Proto
    before my cluster went, mine would hit about 6500 before maxing out. heres an old vid.
    Click here to see Video
    lol i watched that vid and i was tyin to listen on your engine but then i realized that there were no sound since my AIM scared the crap out me!!

i've also hit around 6500 RPM on my 97 es galant......before when i was auto i cant get pass 6000 rpm...now with that Fidanza flywheel, once i get pass 4000 rpm it would shoot up REALLY fast to redline!! it's an ego checker everytime it gets to redline and it's also a nice tire spin on second gear lol....

now to that question....check the cables like everyone said and also on your pedal make sure that the "ball" that keeps your cable on pedle doesn't have a gap/loose....

1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    i thought the GS was the only 7G that could rev to 6200, unless seth's talking about his 4g63 :o
    hate to break the bad news, but you have the infamous mitsubishi automatic transmission. it's going to break very soon, and there's nothing you can do to it but bulletproof it for a couple grand and risk the bulletproofing kit itself being total trash.
    yep, matt is right on that - right before i did my swap to 5 sp, my auto tranny started to slip, and guess what, i did little research i am the second owner, the previous owner was a 60 year old lady, who drove it to grocerery store and church, talked to her myself Ha!! she did all the neccessary maintanance so did it, and it still broke!!! you are better off getting a 5sp tranny, i belive seth has few for sale if i am not mistaken.......good luck
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

just do it cuz you dont want to be the only one not 5spd, we are spreading like the fucking plague dude!

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    just do it cuz you dont want to be the only one not 5spd, we are spreading like the fucking plague dude!
    hell yeah!!!
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

The one-yr warranty on my new transmission runs out at the end of November, if it breaks after that I'm going 5spd.
    Light em up.

If it breaks, dont you mean when it breaks...............cuz it will.

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    If it breaks, dont you mean when it breaks...............cuz it will.
    I'm getting closer, lmao.

It's starting to shift a little harder and I have this rubbing-like vibration sound and feel coming through my gas pedal. That's only noticable sometimes tho!

Not to mention when it downshifts at low speeds it's starting to buck a little.

One step closer to the 5 speed.

What's the final straw with these transmissions anyway?
    1996 Galant S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast