The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How can I make tail light covers??

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

How can I make tail light covers??

I've seen a few galants with tinted tail light covers. its a peice of tinted plexiglass that goes over the lens with double sided tape. It looks like the ones that I've been seeing are custom made by someone. I'm guessing with a heat gun and a peice of plexiglass.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to do this. and where in gods name I would find a peice of tinted plexiglass. I want to know this for two reasons. the only covers I come across are for the 99-02 tails, I wanted to make some for JDM tails. also I need a set for my other car, and that requires a custom job. If anyone knows how this is done it would help a lot. thanks guys.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    actually its acrylic not plexiglass

most people use nightshade and spray the inside of the tailight housing they also make a thicker tint specifically made to black out lights

I know mrjaydeeone had tail covers and night shaded tails I think he was selling one or the other... id pm him about it

FOUNDER OF THE EVO WING ON A G GROUP member #1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mattalicslvr8g02)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know mrjaydeeone had tail covers and night shaded tails I think he was selling one or the other... id pm him about it</div>
    yeah, but the only covers I've ever seen are for the 99-01 tail lights, which wouldent work on JDM lenses becuase of the grooves in them. hmm someone had to make them :shock:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigbluetotoro)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mattalicslvr8g02)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know mrjaydeeone had tail covers and night shaded tails I think he was selling one or the other... id pm him about it</div>
    yeah, but the only covers I've ever seen are for the 99-01 tail lights, which wouldent work on JDM lenses becuase of the grooves in them. hmm someone had to make them :shock:</div>
    he had/has 02-03 taillight covers il try to pull up pics

Zappedman was the guy who made the covers.
    http://www.zappedman.com/

If you want to try it yourself, TAP plastics has some nice info:
    http://www.tapplastics.com/info/video.php?

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    y u wanna cover the all clear tails?? getting bored of them?? i've contacted zappedman a long time ago before i got these, but it didn't go through...i think he was looking for some group buy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(o1naturalhigh)</div><div class='quotemain'>y u wanna cover the all clear tails?? Â*getting bored of them?? Â*i've contacted zappedman a long time ago before i got these, Â*but it didn't go through...i think he was looking for some group buy.</div>
    well I was thinking of getting a set of regular 2nd gen JDM tails to switch out in the winter. but I wanted to learn how to make them cause I want to make covers for my scirocco tail lights. and no place exists that works with scirocco tails. so I'll have to do it myself. I'm sure I could learn how to cut and heat it. but finding the tinted acrylic would be the tough part. I checked out that one website, and it looks like the stuff they sell is way to thick. or expensive.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mattalicslvr8g02)</div><div class='quotemain'></div>
    I've seen his car up close and I'm pretty sure those were 99-01 tails. with the acrilic molded around the part that sticks out.

yup on my car before my JDMS I had 99-01 tails
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

i used niteshade for mine...
    R.I.P. My fellow Galant owner. May God be with you and your family.

run a google, or even better a ebay search on transparent plexiglass/acrylic. you should find a vendor that sells that you need. or you might want to contact them to see if they have a sheet in the size you need.

but yea, to bend it, i usually pop them into the oven and every once in a while check to see if its soft enough. if you wait too long, you'll ruin the sheet so check often. and once its soft enough, i just bend it. my suggestion is to cover the tails for protection and bend the sheet straight over the tails. let it cool over the tails. you have to be patient and hold the sheet down as it cools. and then trim to fit once you're done.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.