The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: turbo project

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 150

turbo project

I have decided to embark on an epic journey. I will be building a custom turbo install for my G. I was thinking of getting a turbo from a junk yard ($125 LeBaron turbo) and having this guy named troy do the plumbing and mounting with me to help me out. Then me and my friend will tune and time it ourselves. I was figuring this would end up costing ~$550. So if this works i will take pictures of everything and make a tutorial.

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    wow that super cheap for a turbo project. good luck........ and picz man.... picz...
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

Experienced TGC Member
    Do you have a 4 or a 6 cylinder?

cheap

reliable

fast

pick two

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You can be Cheap, Reliable, and Quick(13s+ 1/4) but cant really be Cheap, Reliable, and Fast(Sub 13s 1/4).

In my case, my car is not reliable, its not fast, and it wasnt cheap. But Im just special

Junkyard kits can be reliable if done right, they are always cheap, but your going to lack the expensive parts that makes a car Fast.

But thats by far the best Forced induction analogy. Id like to see pics of the install
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>You can be Cheap, Reliable, and Quick(13s+ 1/4) but cant really be Cheap, Reliable, and Fast(Sub 13s 1/4).

In my case, my car is not reliable, its not fast, and it wasnt cheap. Â*But Im just special

Junkyard kits can be reliable if done right, they are always cheap, but your going to lack the expensive parts that makes a car Fast.

But thats by far the best Forced induction analogy. Â*Id like to see pics of the install </div>
    smarty pants.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

im raising money right now because $600 is a lot of money for me being a high school student but i hope to start on this at the latest mid october. I just have a hard time figuring out what turbo to buy. The cheapest I have found is a LeBaron but those are supposed to be pretty weak. I was looking at maybe using a turbo diesel turbo. It would take like 30seconds to spool up on a little I4 though. But im working out a plan right now and by the time the money is here ill know what to do.

the only thing i have to worry about now is whether i need new fuel injectors. Does anyone know off the top of their head the specs on the stock ones? otherwise i could retrofit junkyard injectors off a v6 or something.

Experienced TGC Member
    What size engine is the LeBaron?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    you're gonna need injectors if you want to do this right...and $600 for whole turbo project? not happening...plan to spend over a grand, you have to be realistic
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by bebopin64
    the only thing i have to worry about now is whether i need new fuel injectors. Does anyone know off the top of their head the specs on the stock ones? otherwise i could retrofit junkyard injectors off a v6 or something.
    Just use the 450cc DSM injectors. Id stear clear of junkyard v6 injectors when you can get 4cyl 450cc injectors for $80.

Stock injectors are around 270cc.
    7g for life!

i think the lebaron is 2.2L. Where can I buy those $80 injectors. Also, I am getting a header custom fit for the turbo dirt cheap cause of a family friend. Troy has been intimately involved with rebuilding my dads '71 Corvette, which im not allowed to drive.

Experienced TGC Member
    The V6 injectors are 210cc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>The V6 injectors are 210cc. </div>
    I guess that was a bad idea then

i think i have everything worked out except for one thing. I dont know where im gonna fit an intercooler. This bumper doesnt leave any space unless I have one under 5 inches tall.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bebopin64)</div><div class='quotemain'>i think i have everything worked out except for one thing. Â*I dont know where im gonna fit an intercooler. Â*This bumper doesnt leave any space unless I have one under 5 inches tall.</div>

get the cutting...unless you want one under 5in

BlackGoose
    '07 Charger SXT

i was looking at it and i think i could cut the bumper a few inches back that way it would look normal but i could fit a larger intercooler.

Is this for a 7g, 8g? Year? I fit a 25x8x3 FMIC under my bumper with no problems. Cust slightly for the piping, everything else was just to improve flow. Check out www.extremeintercoolers.com or www.johnnyracecar.com for some good FMICs.
    7g for life!

its a 2003, 8G. How much boost will this engine handle stock?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bebopin64)</div><div class='quotemain'>its a 2003, 8G. Â*How much boost will this engine handle stock?</div>

djplay ran 12psi on the 4g64 for yeeaaarrrs with a shit tune before blowing a piston

i ran 8psi for 20K miles with a really shitty tune with no problems

it's all about your tune and knock monitor/control. watch the EGTs, get it to 10-10.5 on the wideband, and tune for 0 knock, i'd say you could run 10-12 for years and years to come.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast