The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: turbo project

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 150
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Why cant you cut the bumper? By cutting the bumper, you cut the back of the bumper so theres more room to fit. Underrated or whoever the 8g turbo guy has an FMIC, Drybear, Cali, lots of people have them with stock appearing 8g bumpers.

See DryBears post below:
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear
    Since the exhaust piping shifted around a bit, I test fit the Greddy Oil Filter adapter+filter and it fits! :D Now I get my oil pressure/temp sensors back without hassle :mrgreen:
    Finished the intercooler piping - still have a bit of tweaking to do, but I at least have the general layout done:

While piecing together the intercooler piping, I felt like I was playing Tetris :laughing:
    Update: although the pipes seem to fit the way I have it - the layout is apparently wrong, so back to the drawing board :?
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear
    Still waiting for the official intercooler piping instructions, but I'm just going to buy some 2.5" tubing to temporarily finish off the rest of it.
    In the meantime, started hacking up the bumper to fit the FMIC:

Still have to trim maybe about 1/4" more to get it to fit at the bottom, but its getting real close.
    7g for life!

that looks like some mild cutting, i guess i can handle that. so do you happen to know the dimensions of that intercooler?

You act like its trying to cut through a 8' section of concrete! Its just a bumper! You can cut it with a dremell. If you cant cut a bumper, you wont be able to install a turbo kit.

No clue on the dimensions, ask DryBear ;)
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    You act like its trying to cut through a 8' section of concrete! Its just a bumper! You can cut it with a dremell. If you cant cut a bumper, you wont be able to install a turbo kit.

No clue on the dimensions, ask DryBear ;)
    im not saying i cant, in fact im very good at cutting things. just ask my parents. i just didnt want to have to cut it but after seeing those pics t doesnt look any different.

My FMIC is 25.5" x 3.5" x 6". It's not rocket science to cut into the front bumper, just took a dremel and a lot of patience. Most of the hard work was mainly is measuring, fitting, cuttting, then measuring again.

Not much choice in cutting the front bumper cover if you want an FMIC - not much room in the "mouth" area to begin with. Otherwise, you could look into a SMIC and mount that in the space under the passenger side headlight or look into an air to water intercooler maybe.
    http://www.pwr.com.au/pwr/content/intercoolers_la.htm

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bebopin64
    i am expecting to spend $800-$1g. i think that is a fairly accurate projection. dont think im taking this lightly.
    im trying not to do any cutting of the body.
    you won't have to cut any part of the body, but the bumper you will if you want to fit the front mount.

and spending $800-$1k to properly turbo your car is about as accurate of a projection as ray charles doing archery against a moving target. you're better off with nitrous and a really rich tune if that's all you got to spend. i can gaurantee, and everyone who's been there will back me up, it ain't happening with that budget. there was some guy on galantspeed who did it for the cheapest i've heard of: $1200. and he used the shittiest of shit parts he could find, all OEM grabbed off wrecked 2gs and what-not. sidemount was rusted through; used hoses for charge pipes; ran a 14b with more wear and tear than my ex girlfriend, etc etc
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

actually whenever i take on a task i do huge amounts of research. this is my research stage right now, i have read articles and here i am talking with other people that have done this before or know about it (tgc). i will know how to do it and have everything planned out by the time the install happens. are there any intercoolers that fit the fron bumper without cutting? i am expecting to spend $800-$1g. i think that is a fairly accurate projection. dont think im taking this lightly.
    im trying not to do any cutting of the body.
    u missed the point completely. if u did minimal research u would have found that turboing ur 8G (a car that is deathly allergic to a bad tune on FI) for under $1000.00 is asking for at least 4x that much in repairs and having to go back to stock after ur blow ur engine (since if u just keep the setup that blew ur motor after the cheapest repair u can get by on, u will just blow it again). you are better off spending the $5000.00+ or so that it will cost to do it right w/ ur limited experience/knowledge. ur estimates aren't even in the same sport let alone the same league or ballpark. once u have accepted ur budget is completely anemic, then do more research to understand what ur are getting into mechanically. and then after it is done and running, parts will go bad and u will have to continuosly have money to repair/replace/upgrade parts that will need it. also u'd better have some more money to beef up the tranny or swap it out for a MT and aftermarket clutch since our auto doesn't appreciate levels of power much higher than stock. if u don't have the money to complete this project (or won't have it by the time u need to start the install), abort it right now or u will have no car at all while u try to save enough to get it running. another thing is u are worried about cutting a plastic bumper that costs less than $200.00 but modifying your engine for more than 5 times that (by your completely naive estimate) makes sense to u? a reliable turbo setup for $800-$1000? haha! it must be nice to live in ur fantasy world; i think i'll go build my own space shuttle now.

harsh, but justified my man

1994 Galant GS 5spd

turbo: $200
    intercooler: $120
    Megasquirt: $200
    Injectors: $100
    BOV: $50
    Manifold: $150

Total: $820

I get unlimited free piping with the manifold. All tunuing done myself. All installation done myself. That leaves $180 for miscellaneous things I need.

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    harsh, but justified my man
    reality check. i don't mean to come down super hard on the youngster but it doesn't seem to be sinking in or if he is really understanding what he is getting into... everyone that has attempted to go FI on a NA platform has spent at least $2000.00 and still has to be wary of breaking parts that will cost easily that much more! for a rookie to claim that they can do this for less than $1000.00 and believe it, well puff puff give, cuz that must be the bomb ass shit u smokin'. if he's gonna ask for advice, then he should take it. if he's gonna ask for information then he should comprehend it. no way can a reliable turbo system be done for under $1000.00 unless every part u get is at a 75% discount and you KNOW exactly what you are doing cuz if everything isn't perfect, u will run out of paper in hurry trying to fix what you broke!

I get unlimited free piping with the manifold. All tunuing done myself. All installation done myself. That leaves $180 for miscellaneous things I need.
    kid, instead of making your cute little list (do u really think that is even close to complete?), ask peano, seth, underated, drybear, jetblack (i know i forgot a bunch of turbo guys) what parts list u really need. also ur gonna tune it and install it yourself but ur sqeemish about cutting the bumper cover?

umm off the top of my head you need to ask urself these questions then go find the answers:

are you gonna cool and lubricate the turbo w/ your mind?
    do you think your stock fuel pump will be sufficient?
    are you planning on cooling your tranny?
    FPR?
    are you going to filter the air going into your engine?
    were you planning on using clamps and fittings or just tape?
    what's a downpipe?
    can i tune w/o a wideband?
    do you need gauges like EGT and boost?
    colder spark plugs?
    do you think $180 is enough to cover this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    kid, instead of making your cute little list (do u really think that is even close to complete?), ask peano, seth, underated, drybear, jetblack (i know i forgot a bunch of turbo guys) what parts list u really need. also ur gonna tune it and install it yourself but ur sqeemish about cutting the bumper cover?

umm off the top of my head you need to ask urself these questions then go find the answers:

are you gonna cool the turbo w/ your mind?
    do you think your stock fuel pump will be sufficient?
    are you planning on cooling your tranny?
    FPR?
    are you going to filter the air going into your engine?
    were you planning on using clamps and fittings or just tape?
    what's a downpipe?
    can i tune w/o a wideband?
    do you need gauges like EGT and boost?
    colder spark plugs?
    do you think $180 is enough to cover this stuff?
    I am a firm believer that you can get a descent setup just from used 1g/2g parts. 14b, 450cc injectors, SMIC or Johnnyracecar FMIC, he gets free piping, $50 1g BOV(holds 18psi just fine), stock FPR, stock pump rewired, some NGK Plugs and wires, 2g GST aftermarket downpipe($100), and a custom 2.5-3" cat back.

You dont need any fancy parts. A basic turbo setup is that, basic. Nothing complicated, not any expensive fancy parts you dont need. Stock fuel pump should be good for 8-10psi, if not, grab a stock 2g fuel pump or Walbro 190 for $80, with those you dont need an AFPR.

You WILL need a boost gauge and at least an EGT gauge. If your using Megasquirt, you NEED a wideband. YOu can get the AEM 6 in 1 for under $300, but with Megasqurit and a wideband, thats all you need to tune.

Hmmm what else. Clamps/couplers can be had on eBay for cheap. Running low boost, you wont need anything expensive, but I will recommend using t-bolt clamps.

It can be done. With the right research, shopping at the right places(DSMTuners, online DSM shops, junkyards, ebay) you can get stock parts for amazingly cheap. If done right, a stock 1g/2g turbo setup will yield descent numbers. You arent going to be the fastest car our there or have the most hp, but it would definitely be a fun project and will give you a nice *umph* in power.

Dont get disgruntled, if its something you really really want to do, keep researching! You are off to a descent start. I started off not knowing how to change my own oil. WIth researching here and on other DSM forums, I have learned a lot!

Check out: www.vfaq.com They have a lot of installs and guides, all for a 4g63t but a lot can be transferred to a 7g/8g.
    7g for life!

I am a firm believer that you can get a descent setup just from used 1g/2g parts. 14b, 450cc injectors, SMIC or Johnnyracecar FMIC, he gets free piping, $50 1g BOV(holds 18psi just fine), stock FPR, stock pump rewired, some NGK Plugs and wires, 2g GST aftermarket downpipe($100), and a custom 2.5-3" cat back.

You dont need any fancy parts. A basic turbo setup is that, basic. Nothing complicated, not any expensive fancy parts you dont need. Stock fuel pump should be good for 8-10psi, if not, grab a stock 2g fuel pump or Walbro 190 for $80, with those you dont need an AFPR.

You WILL need a boost gauge and at least an EGT gauge. If your using Megasquirt, you NEED a wideband. YOu can get the AEM 6 in 1 for under $300, but with Megasqurit and a wideband, thats all you need to tune.

Hmmm what else. Clamps/couplers can be had on eBay for cheap. Running low boost, you wont need anything expensive, but I will recommend using t-bolt clamps.

It can be done. With the right research, shopping at the right places(DSMTuners, online DSM shops, junkyards, ebay) you can get stock parts for amazingly cheap. If done right, a stock 1g/2g turbo setup will yield descent numbers. You arent going to be the fastest car our there or have the most hp, but it would definitely be a fun project and will give you a nice *umph* in power.

Dont get disgruntled, if its something you really really want to do, keep researching! You are off to a descent start. I started off not knowing how to change my own oil. WIth researching here and on other DSM forums, I have learned a lot!

Check out: www.vfaq.com They have a lot of installs and guides, all for a 4g63t but a lot can be transferred to a 7g/8g.
    the wideband alone would put him over budget... my point is he will need at least double as much money as what he thinks he needs (probably more). you did your research and i respect your opinion and knowledge. on the other hand this kid doesn't know 1/100 of what you know about turbos but has allready written out his budget and is trying to convince us he is right. i guess what bothers me is that when a person asks for help and info because that person doesn't know what they are doing yet, they should b a sponge and not argue their position, just soak up as much as you can get form other peoples experience. 3 times this kid has repeated that he can do this for under $1000.00 and still has no idea that he is missing major, must have parts in his estimation.

so according to him, this is the list of things he needs to get to run his turbo setup! i understand and appreciate your honesty and you generousity in giving him encouragement since you were able to do this yourself, but did you argue w/ those that had more knowledge than you when you were learning? and how many countless ohours of research and planmning did you go through before you jumped in? both peano and i told him that his budget was way off but he posted his list and prices again to prove us wrong since he has thought of everything allready. but truthfully, if you were to source all the parts as if youn were starting from zero w/ no parts lying around, and make your own COMPLETE kit using whatever parts you wanted, how much would it cost right now? under $1000? that's my point. not gonna happen. you tell me what a reasonable estimate would be.

I agree he will need a bit more in the budget, but not a substantial amount. I dont think he is trying to prove us wrong or anything just saying what he thinks he needs to do. Idk :P

Theres a few things you have to do once your turbo though. Regular maintenance is a must now. You need to pop your hood and check your oil levels at least once a week. Having a turbo under the hood with two oil lines giong to it + an oil cooler if you go that route, will be more prone to leakage. And thats about it, nothing big, just more responsibility vs owning a reliable NA car.

When something breaks(and it will) you need to have the patience to figure out what broke and why to prevent future failures(usually time to upgrade that part to aftermarket). You wont learn everything all at once and owning a turbo car, you will learn more in a year about cars then a lifetime of just owning a NA car.

Keep posting if you have questions. Best thing to do is research and you know that ;)
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member

As mentioned above...Ray Charles/Archery/moving target....

You didn't even include your lubrication system. You may have listed all the major components, but your still missing a million small stuff.

Turbo: What kind, and where from? Do you have a link to this $200 turbo?
    FMIC: Same as above.
    Tuning: As mentioned...wideband ($200 w/out a gauge...which makes the wideband itself half as useful)
    Injectors: Do they share injector clips with your stock injectors?
    Manifold: What kind and where from? LINK?
    Do you plan to keep your stock exhaust?
    Where are you getting FREE unlimited piping from? Is it mandrel bent?

Total: Not even close.

I agree he will need a bit more in the budget, but not a substantial amount. I dont think he is trying to prove us wrong or anything just saying what he thinks he needs to do. Idk :P

Theres a few things you have to do once your turbo though. Regular maintenance is a must now. You need to pop your hood and check your oil levels at least once a week. Having a turbo under the hood with two oil lines giong to it + an oil cooler if you go that route, will be more prone to leakage. And thats about it, nothing big, just more responsibility vs owning a reliable NA car.

When something breaks(and it will) you need to have the patience to figure out what broke and why to prevent future failures(usually time to upgrade that part to aftermarket). You wont learn everything all at once and owning a turbo car, you will learn more in a year about cars then a lifetime of just owning a NA car.

Keep posting if you have questions. Best thing to do is research and you know that ;)
    yeah, im not trying to prove anybody wrong but i kept getting told that that budget was unrealistic but i was getting no explanation as to what i needed. im getting all my parts from the junkyards and ebay so prices are not high. and im also not going to run more than 6-8psi.

its not that im squeemish about cutting the bumper cover its just that without doing that i can put everything back to perfect stock condition 1 step easier.

i dont know why you think im not taking this seriously and trying to learn how to do this before i do this. why else would i be here asking questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black
    As mentioned above...Ray Charles/Archery/moving target....

You didn't even include your lubrication system. You may have listed all the major components, but your still missing a million small stuff.

Turbo: What kind, and where from? Do you have a link to this $200 turbo?
    Tuning: As mentioned...wideband ($200 w/out a gauge...which makes the wideband itself half as useful)
    Injectors: Do they share injector clips with your stock injectors?
    Manifold: What kind and where from? LINK?
    Do you plan to keep your stock exhaust?
    Where are you getting FREE unlimited piping from? Is it mandrel bent?

Total: Not even close.
    Turbo: ebay, all kinds of them
    Tuning: ok something i didnt know i needed, why im here.
    Injectors: yes
    Manifold: custom made by a family friend
    have hi flow cat and 2.5" piping
    same family friend

how do you plan on running 6-8psi? lowest i've heard of is 8, since that's what all the mitsu wastegates actuators open at.

$200 turbo? please do tell.

you're going to need an oil cooler setup, unless you plan on cooking your oil constantly once the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

clamps? hoses? gaskets? couplers? other expendables?

stock fuel pump? everyone says you can do it, but considering it's only $100 for a walbro190, why are you gonna sell your engine short on something that will DESTROY it if it doesn't get it? (fuel, that is) i'm sure your stock fuel pump isn't exactly in the same shape as when it rolled off the factory floor either....

tuning without a wideband IMO is for people with a death wish. what are you gonna tune off of, EGTs and narrowband? gimme a break.

Tuning: ok something i didnt know i needed, why im here.
    DAMN.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    have hi flow cat and 2.5" piping
    same family friend
    </div>

hi flow cat? where are you going to put it? any downpipe on ebay or anywhere else made for a 2g completely overlaps the cat on our cars, bolting up directly to the rest of the exhaust.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    how do you plan on running 6-8psi? lowest i've heard of is 8, since that's what all the mitsu wastegates actuators open at.

&#036;200 turbo? please do tell.

you're going to need an oil cooler setup, unless you plan on cooking your oil constantly once the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

clamps? hoses? gaskets? couplers? other expendables?

stock fuel pump? everyone says you can do it, but considering it's only &#036;100 for a walbro190, why are you gonna sell your engine short on something that will DESTROY it if it doesn't get it? (fuel, that is) i'm sure your stock fuel pump isn't exactly in the same shape as when it rolled off the factory floor either....

tuning without a wideband IMO is for people with a death wish. what are you gonna tune off of, EGTs and narrowband? gimme a break.
    DAMN.
    hi flow cat? where are you going to put it? any downpipe on ebay or anywhere else made for a 2g completely overlaps the cat on our cars, bolting up directly to the rest of the exhaust.
    no its not that i didnt know i was going to have to tune, read the post above it. i didnt know i was going to need the wideband.

You dont have to have wideband, but you cant really tune without it. If you have Megasquirt, you can get a wideband sniffer on the dyno and just tune it there. But outside of the dyno, you wont know your air/fuel ratio and it wouldnt be much fun troubleshooting a tune.

IMO a wideband is a must if you are a NA car converting to turbo.

And like peano said, the lowest Mitsu internal gate would be 8-9psi. If you want to run lower, you would need an external wastegate with a smaller psi spring.
    7g for life!

You dont have to have wideband, but you cant really tune without it. If you have Megasquirt, you can get a wideband sniffer on the dyno and just tune it there. But outside of the dyno, you wont know your air/fuel ratio and it wouldnt be much fun troubleshooting a tune.

IMO a wideband is a must if you are a NA car converting to turbo.

And like peano said, the lowest Mitsu internal gate would be 8-9psi. If you want to run lower, you would need an external wastegate with a smaller psi spring.
    ill just run it at 8psi then.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast