The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: turbo project

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Showing results 101 to 120 of 150
    [quote name='bebopin64' date='Sep 26 2006, 02:43 PM' post='531519']
    yeah, im not trying to prove anybody wrong but i kept getting told that that budget was unrealistic but i was getting no explanation as to what i needed. im getting all my parts from the junkyards and ebay so prices are not high. and im also not going to run more than 6-8psi.

its not that im squeemish about cutting the bumper cover its just that without doing that i can put everything back to perfect stock condition 1 step easier.

i dont know why you think im not taking this seriously and trying to learn how to do this before i do this. why else would i be here asking questions?
    Turbo: ebay, all kinds of them
    FMIC: Same as above.
    Tuning: ok something i didnt know i needed, why im here.
    Injectors: yes
    Manifold: custom made by a family friend
    have hi flow cat and 2.5" piping
    same family friend
    [/quote]

well if your not being argumentative, then why wouldn't you just ask why your budget is not realistic if people who have done this are telling you it is? instead you repost ur estimates and leave that up as fact. not the best way of asking for help. let this be a life lesson... people w/ the knowledge you need will always give it to you if you ask them as a student not a peer. your question after you were told that you are making a grave underestimation of the complexity and cost of this project should have been, "thank you. what am i missing, what can i use, etc.?" on the contrary your posts sound like you know all of this info allready and that you are just simply reporting to us that you are doing this and that... bro, the only stupid question is the one u don't ask. instead of telling the experienced members this is how it is going to work, ask them nicely and i know all the turbo heads on this board will start pouring out info to save you from the mistakes they had to make first hand.

here is the tone u used that i am talking about that makes it hard for the guys to "give" you what they know:

[quote name='bebopin64' date='Sep 1 2006, 02:03 PM' post='523678']
    I have decided to embark on an epic journey. I will be building a custom turbo install for my G. I was thinking of getting a turbo from a junk yard ($125 LeBaron turbo) and having this guy named troy do the plumbing and mounting with me to help me out. Then me and my friend will tune and time it ourselves. I was figuring this would end up costing ~$550. So if this works i will take pictures of everything and make a tutorial.
    [/quote]

so you know all you need to know? ur just telling us? i guess you got it covered, cool...

[quote name='bebopin64' date='Sep 1 2006, 07:21 PM' post='523779']
    im raising money right now because $600 is a lot of money for me being a high school student but i hope to start on this at the latest mid october. I just have a hard time figuring out what turbo to buy. The cheapest I have found is a LeBaron but those are supposed to be pretty weak. I was looking at maybe using a turbo diesel turbo. It would take like 30seconds to spool up on a little I4 though. But im working out a plan right now and by the time the money is here ill know what to do.
    [/quote]

so ur only problem at this point is finding out what turbo to buy? why not just ask? o yeah i forgot, u got it covered.

[quote name='bebopin64' date='Sep 1 2006, 07:28 PM' post='523780']
    the only thing i have to worry about now is whether i need new fuel injectors. Does anyone know off the top of their head the specs on the stock ones? otherwise i could retrofit junkyard injectors off a v6 or something.
    [/quote]

well you got it covered still since the ONLY thing you need to know is if you need new injectors. how wrong you are. at least you asked a question this time instead fo reporting to us like you know what you are talking about... see you asked and seth came right out and gave you the info.

[quote name='bebopin64' date='Sep 4 2006, 02:44 PM' post='524602']
    i think i have everything worked out except for one thing. I dont know where im gonna fit an intercooler. This bumper doesnt leave any space unless I have one under 5 inches tall.
    [/quote]

well i guess you don't need our help, you got it all worked out except for ONE thing. (hey nobody tell him he doesn't got it all worked out except for one thing)

[quote name='bebopin64' date='Sep 4 2006, 11:00 PM' post='524774']
    i think im gonna go for the nice mild boost because i cant afford repairs and i will also be tuning this with only my friend who im sure doesnt know half of what he claims.
    [/quote]

even at mild boost, you are going to need to make repairs... it's unavoidable. statements like these tell us you really don't kow what you are about to get into.

[quote name='bebopin64' date='Sep 9 2006, 01:53 PM' post='526046']
    this is great. my dad walked in while i was looking at turbos and he said that he will stop paying for gas if i put a turbocharger in my car because "there is a 70% you will break the car". then i preceeded to give him a long talk about the pros and cons and all possible failures caused by turbos and how i would fix them and what i am doing to make sure that the turbo will be reliably tuned but he responded by saying he doesnt need to hear that made up mumbo jumbo. i am 98% convinced that he wont listen to me so i might have to wait until college when he wont notive if my car is out of commision for a week. there is no way in hell i can afford gas.

i guess on the bright side maybe i can get tein basics and bodykits so i can have a cool slow car.
    [/quote]

you can't afford gas but you want a turbo (that will make it easier for you to burn gas more quickly)? the reason ur dad is saying he will stop paying for gas is because you can't afford to fix things that WILL break... you think he wants you costing him MORE money? my guess is he bought you a safe 4 door and is paying for the gas so you can get around to school and wherever by urself so he doesn't have to drive you himslef. now you want to "play" w/ his investment? i can see where he's coming from.

[quote name='bebopin64' date='Sep 9 2006, 05:16 PM' post='526119']
    i know that in the uncommon occurances of things breaking i will be able to fix it but my dad will have none of that. im trying to get a job so i can afford either gas or insurance a seperate car. until then im going to put together a sort of "packet" explaining how the turbo install would happen what it would take how much it would cost. my best bet is just to have an intellegable clear explanation of everything it would entail.
    [/quote]

"...uncommon occurances of things breaking..." guess again, it's more like, "after something breaks", cuz it's gonna happen guaranteed. and who's gonna pay for replacement parts? are you just gonna fix and reuse the ones that broke? i'm pretty sure you gotta buy a replacement and that costs money... this is why ur dad is so against u doing this... cuz he's gonna have to end up paying for it. get a job if you want this hobby, it never has and never will b cheap.

[quote name='bebopin64' date='Sep 18 2006, 04:59 PM' post='529182']
    its not like he is worried or at all influenced by the price of things. hes more interested in me not being happy. I believe that his thought process is that "cool car"="doing drugs". why else would he spend $11,000 on a crappy 8g galant? i could have had a tits vr-4. the whole car deciding process was like this: i told him cars that i liked, we test drove cars, i kept saying "that one is nice", then when we got to a car that i said "i dont really like this one" we pay and leave. he puts so much gas through his big old suburban, gas isnt really a factor. im not even joking though, he believes that a good car means i will be popular and do drugs.
    [/quote]

that really makes no sense... i mean your interpretation of your father's actions are completely off base. he got u a car. be happy you got one. most of the world has to buy their own. your dad didn't buy you a fast car to keep you from becoming popular or to stay off drugs (you don't need a car to b popular, you need a personality), he bought you a solid car to be reliable and practical. i don't even know why he asked you if you liked it or not... if he really was interested in you not being happy, you would have no car.

[quote name='bebopin64' date='Sep 25 2006, 06:59 PM' post='531319']
    water cooling seems dangerous though because if a hose comes off the engine could blow up. if a hose comes off the intercooler i just loose boost. so do you think i should mount the intercooler sti style or where the air box was? i cant easily get one in the front bumper and i dont want to cut things.
    [/quote]

maybe u didn't know this but an air-to-air intercooler needs air flow to dissipate heat. you didn't want to cut your bumper or remove your crash bar, but if you mount your intercooler "STI" style, now your gonna need to cut a hole in your hood (or buy a vented hood), other wise that intercooler will have no access to cool air and will just heat everything up along w/ the turbo. i wonder if the paint on your hood would last longer than your motor in that situation.

[quote name='bebopin64' date='Sep 25 2006, 07:42 PM' post='531338']
    actually whenever i take on a task i do huge amounts of research. this is my research stage right now, i have read articles and here i am talking with other people that have done this before or know about it (tgc). i will know how to do it and have everything planned out by the time the install happens. are there any intercoolers that fit the fron bumper without cutting? i am expecting to spend $800-$1g. i think that is a fairly accurate projection. dont think im taking this lightly.
    im trying not to do any cutting of the body.
    [/quote]

obviously, your definition of "fairly accurate" leaves much to be desired. this is the tone i was making you aware of... we are all at this point telling you you are not going to afford this project at your budget, but you are telling us you are pretty sure about your numbers. you know when someone who knows more about a subject than you about tells you something, you should listen... it's kinda hard to hear what people are saying when ur talking. or you can just keep sticking to ur guns and get nowhere fast.

OK i'm done now.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    i wouldnt bother with one of those cheap ebay turbos there have been a lot of problems with them (having crappy welds etc) if you could get a good used one for that price more power to you, but especially stay away from xs power i think is the name they are pretty much the # 1 brand on ebay and i have heard nothing but problems

good luck with your budget

I can't believe i just wasted 7 minutes of my life reading this crap. Dude, you need a lot of searching and reading club3g.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Yeah like I said I accidently made it sound like I was ignoring advice. When I then posted a list of materials it was supposed to be constuctive. I obviously knew that the parts I had picked out were within my budget so if people persist that my budget it is unrealistic then I must be missing something. So what do I do? I post a list of parts with a price. I thought this was a good idea because it is something for people to comment on but I guess some people immediately thought I was giving lip. I am unaware of what I did to cause people to think I was one of those people that ignores advice and maintains that I know more than other people when I obviously don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSEY2099
    I can't believe i just wasted 7 minutes of my life reading this crap. Dude, you need a lot of searching and reading club3g.
    Why sith through numerous posts about eclipses when I can ask Galant owners/operators? And I know that nobody has said anything about this yet but I feel it coming...

... I'm not clogging up the forum with No0bzOr crap because this is a thread people seem to like to talk in and there are not many other threads in this section.

From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Cali
    Good show?

just reading through all of this and just wondering you guys that have put a turbo on your car, how much did it cost? then if any of you swapped out for Evo motors what does that cost (including labor and tranny)? estimates for a 6a13tt swap? just wanting to know how much this costs.....preferabably I want this info from the more reliable turbo cars (properly tuned and all that junk), then the the shitty as jobs.

mabye if you show what you guys paid he will see his projet is short on cash.

as for the 6a13tt swap thats just for my knowlegde (I already know a FTO tranny will be needed for a fwd drivetrain, anyone know of any trannys to use for either rwd or 4wd?)

Quote Originally Posted by bebopin64
    Good show?
    no, im gonna wait to see you blow up your motor.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Cali
    no, im gonna wait to see you blow up your motor.
    well thats not gonna happen. And to be fair, I've been told by people that turboed crappy I4's that 8psi won't be that hard on the engine. And I've also been told by 8G owners that our I4 has very strong internals. Giving the information I have already recieved my plan was a reliable setup, but I just don't know who's telling the truth.

Experienced TGC Member
    well thats not gonna happen. And to be fair, I've been told by people that turboed crappy I4's that 8psi won't be that hard on the engine. And I've also been told by 8G owners that our I4 has very strong internals. Giving the information I have already recieved my plan was a reliable setup, but I just don't know who's telling the truth.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Idea: You have had almost every single turboed Galant owner give their input in this thead.

You decide for yourself who's telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black
    :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Idea: You have had almost every single turboed Galant owner give their input in this thead.

You decide for yourself who's telling the truth.
    yeah appearently they are not strong enough as the people with turbos now know.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Why sith through numerous posts about eclipses when I can ask Galant owners/operators? And I know that nobody has said anything about this yet but I feel it coming... </div>

WHY???

Because a 3G eclipse is a dam galant just 2 door. There are alot of people there that know WAY to much stuff and their turbo to n/a ratio is alot higher then ours. But its ok, if you chose not to listen to anyone then just save the &#036;2000 and fill your tank with water. That way your engine blows, we have a good laugh and you save money. Anyone that is serious about doing anything heavy to their engines will read both forums and i'm pretty shure every turbo owner here has an account on either club3g forum or other dsm forums.[quote]Why sith through numerous posts about eclipses when I can ask Galant owners/operators? And I know that nobody has said anything about this yet but I feel it coming...
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Again, I have been told that becuse of the placement of some parts lots of things have to be laid out differently.

Again, I have been told that becuse of the placement of some parts lots of things have to be laid out differently.
    The Eclipse and Galant as well as the Stratus R/T are very closely related. We actually have an advantage over the 3G Eclipse in that we have more room in the engine bay.

FYI, one of the turbo kits (Gulf Coast Turbo) for the I4 Eclipse was actually first tested on an I4 8G Galant. Also, my current turbo kit was also made for a 3G Eclipse, but fits well on my engine (a few light mods here and there). Heck, the intercooler piping needed no modification.

However, the 3G Eclipse kits that wont fit on a Galant are the ones made specifically for a manual tranny - unless of course you do the tranny swap.

Seriously, aside from parts, and tuning, it would be a real good idea to set aside some *emergency repair funds*, somewhere in the neighborhood of &#036;1-2K.

The 4G64 is a pretty strong engine - Brandon (screen name:Underated) I believe is still on his stock motor and was boosting in the neighborhood of 10-12psi, if I recall correctly.

so what internals do i need to upgrade to get the strength i need for reliability? valves, pistons, cam? I guess I could get a 4G63T DOHC head and that will help in boosting i would guess.

dang!!! i spent 10 mins reading this stuff!!
    like someone said i think every galant owner said something on this thread.....cuting corners will just give your motor a higher chance on blowing up.....i mean dont get me wrong man i dont have a turbo galant(yet) but after reading and researching ofr about almost a year, the budget is around 1500 - 2000....now that it's around there, an engine swap mis really looking good....i say just keep researching then once you know that you'll be able to do it or either your motor blew up.....

good luck man.
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    so what internals do i need to upgrade to get the strength i need for reliability? valves, pistons, cam? I guess I could get a 4G63T DOHC head and that will help in boosting i would guess.
    the head won't help your current situation, which is running a safe and humble tune. all that will do is add more power, something you really shouldn't be interested in at this point in time.

upgrading engine internals, in retrospect to this discussion, is something you need to forget about entirely for the time being.

with that being said, you can slap on a turbo with the shittiest tune in the world and run 8psi NO PROBLEM. a week later, be sure to mount a camera in your engine bay so we can see the block split down the middle.

it's all about reliability and efficiency, with practicality mixed in the middle. guys have been runing 8psi on stock internals on the 4G64 for YEARS, but their tune and driving method is all key here. if you're going to be one of those guys that's going to showboat to his buddies all night by doing 5th gear pulls down the highway at WOT for hours on end, then maybe engine internals is something you should consider upgrading at this point, in which case, i recomend you do nothing but read for the next year before you buy a single part.

with a moderatly rich tune (~10-11.0 on the wideband), 0 knock, and nice low EGTs, you can run 8psi on the 4G64 until the apocalypse, assuming you don't drive it like a total dipshit.

plan your turbo build in two seperate parts: physical, mechanical components (which turbo you gonna run? what injectors? what size charge pipes? etc etc) and the electrical, tuning area (GM Maf, megasquirt, MAFTpro, standalone, piggyback, speed density, injectors in the intake, etc etc.) of course, when i say plan it two seperate parts, there should be some communication between the two (injectors vs. tuning option, yadda yadda)

as said before, for &#036;1000 you're not leaving us a lot of options to reccomend to you. i have billions of ideas flying through my head but i can't say a single one because of your redicously low budget.

personally, i am completely against piggybacks (with the emanage being the only exception). i never had good results with my s-afc2, and guys using them on the 2G were only using it for moderate adjustments, not complete fuel map realignments like we need on the N/A ECU.

standalone is the shit. it covers all your bases. it is truly the most controlled state of tuning you can purchase. but unless you have a team of tuners standing by, or you feel like spending weeks on end programming the shit out of it, it's not practical at all for your situation, and it's expensive as all hell. especially for just a measly 8psi, it's total overkill.

GM MAF and maftpro are pretty solid. the GM Maf will read all the compressed air post-turbo and let your ECU actually know how much air is going into the engine. maftpro is something you should read up on, being different and the same all at the same time.

speed density is the shit. enough said.

anyone feel to correct me of i mistated something, i'm more drunk than the pope on new years right now.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

so... to add onto what my list was before is a wideband and a possibly a fuel pump?

I'm not putting you down, but your dad is right. Even if you don't end up breaking something, it isn't going to be worth all this work. I'd hate to see you end up in a real bad spot, with a broke down car and no money. It sound like you have the guts to just "go for it" without much experience (no offense) which is a great attribute, but doing this on your DD is a bad idea. Save your money and buy a project 1G dsm. The G will be a great DD. 8)

flame suit on.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast