The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G DOHC headswap.... The easy way! ???

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
Showing results 361 to 376 of 376
    Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticj View Post
    when building for high HP, the knock sensor is primarily use to monitor knock...people still blow up their motors with or without a knock control ecu.
    But being able to control ignition timing would be a huge benefit. Especially if you run meth injection like i do.....

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    ^^Thank you sooo much bro. I didnt want to answer the question again, cuz I wouldnt be able to keep the caps in lower case if you know what I mean.

Thanks again.
    No problem. I have SOME patience when it comes to noobs, because ive been there myself. It really is hard to understand whats going on here if youve never touched or seen these parts in person. Though ive never seen the mirage distributor, i understand what needs to be done because of my wrench time on the Galant and other DSM's lol...

Posey
    Heads up I'll have something to contribute soon:). I have a machine shop that says they can machine my 4g64 distributor to match my 1g CAS. Dropping everything off tomorrow I'll keep u guys posted on it

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    If you read the thread you can't use the 4g64 distributor because it is too long. There is a picture in this thread illustrating that clearly.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    If you read the thread you can't use the 4g64 distributor because it is too long. There is a picture in this thread illustrating that clearly.
    Someone said that you could use it but it is more work to use it and they arent sure how reliable it would be.But yeah it is alot less work and stress to use the mirage one.

How about you only post it if it actually works. That way we dont have 30 some pages of maybe's and speculation before we get to something that functions.

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    How about you only post it if it actually works. That way we dont have 30 some pages of maybe's and speculation before we get to something that functions.

Whoever posted about the 7g dizzy has no effing idea what the heck he's talking about. Unless you have some new and proven to work and bring it to the table then keep it quiet until you see it actually works. Until then, its still and only the mirage distributor that works with little help of course
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Dont know if any of you remember me any how thought I would update this thread with what I've got done so far.

Forged 4G64 with 4G63T DOHC head, cyclone intake manifold and a machined distributor in the 4G63T head.

Link to my car domain page, the Distributor setup is on page 11 at the bottom. I also have some previous pictures on cardomain also of the distributor machined. I forget what page those are on.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3240205/1996-eagle-summit-awd-wagon-3d

The distributor is installed in the head and mechanically everything works perfect.

The question will be whether or not the intake cam on the dohc set up rotates the same rate as the SOHC did.

Also, I used a 4G15 distributor and had the outside ring machined down to look like a CAS (think Siguel posted this somewhere but never followed up on the exact way to make this work or answered my pm's ).

The 4G15 distributor uses a different plate for the signal then the galant/summit expo 4G64 dist. All the electronic plugs plug up perfect and uses the same 1-3-4-2 firing order.
    It has a plate (window) that sits on each plug thats fired and 2 magnetic pickups.
    Ours has 1 long window and 1 magnetic pickup.
    So to fix it I just swapped the plates out, bolts on and goes through the magnetic pickup perfect, no catching or hang ups.
    I also took out the second ring for the second magnetic pickup so nothing ever passes through it. Our factory one didn't have it and I didn't want to confuse the computer.
    I will update more when I fire the thing up and get it running, if I can with the stock ECU.

Also I know I could easily have switched a CAS in and a computer, but I've never taken the easy way or do exactly what everyone else is or I wouldn't have built a turbo van to begin with.
    Last edited by 1BadVan; 05-07-2012 at 10:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadVan View Post
    Dont know if any of you remember me any how thought I would update this thread with what I've got done so far.

Forged 4G64 with 4G63T DOHC head, cyclone intake manifold and a machined distributor in the 4G63T head.

Link to my car domain page, the Distributor setup is on page 11 at the bottom. I also have some previous pictures on cardomain also of the distributor machined. I forget what page those are on.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3240205/1996-eagle-summit-awd-wagon-3d

The distributor is installed in the head and mechanically everything works perfect.

The question will be whether or not the intake cam on the dohc set up rotates the same rate as the SOHC did.

Also, I used a 4G15 distributor and had the outside ring machined down to look like a CAS (think Siguel posted this somewhere but never followed up on the exact way to make this work or answered my pm's ).

The 4G15 distributor uses a different plate for the signal then the galant/summit expo 4G64 dist. All the electronic plugs plug up perfect and uses the same 1-3-4-2 firing order.
    It has a plate (window) that sits on each plug thats fired and 2 magnetic pickups.
    Ours has 1 long window and 1 magnetic pickup.
    So to fix it I just swapped the plates out, bolts on and goes through the magnetic pickup perfect, no catching or hang ups.
    I also took out the second ring for the second magnetic pickup so nothing ever passes through it. Our factory one didn't have it and I didn't want to confuse the computer.
    I will update more when I fire the thing up and get it running, if I can with the stock ECU.

Also I know I could easily have switched a CAS in and a computer, but I've never taken the easy way or do exactly what everyone else is or I wouldn't have built a turbo van to begin with.

Thank you for such an informative post <3

I will be doing this soooon, just gotta sell my spare car first haha
    Boost, its whats for dinner

Make sure to use the same shutter ring in your distributor on the new 4G15 distributor (the metal plate that spins inside the rotor).

The reason I really emphasis this is even though the galant and expo/summit (2.4L) distributor look the same inside and out even when taken apart.

The shutter rings inside each distributor looks exactly the same also once installed, but the little metal tab that hangs down to interupt the magnetic field for spark are in different spots once aligned.

I'm making this point so people don't think they can go get an Expo/Summit (2.4L) shutter ring out of a distributor for there Galant because I got it to work in my Summit (2.4L) or vice versa.

THE SHUTTER RINGS LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME BUT LINE UP DIFFERENT INSTALLED.
    EXPO/SUMMIT (2.4L) 061 stamped on the shutter ring plate
    GALANT 062 stamped on the shutter ring plate

As far as the 4G15 Distributor goes the shutter ring plates are totally different looking then either the galant or expo/summit (2.4L).

Mine works well with no change to the internals.

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    Mine works well with no change to the internals.
    Thats a pretty blank statement.

Explain to us exactly what you've done, what ecu, cylinder head and distributor your using.

I would find it hard for a 7G Galant, Expo/Summit to interchange those shutters, as when you try swapping the shutter rings on the other it fires the spark plug before cylinder #4 in the firing order. 1-3-4-2
    I have a 7G galant distributor, Expo/Summit distributor and 4G15 distributor sitting in my garage that i've tried all the different shutters on.

The Mirage 4G15 distributor shutter is setup just like a DSM CAS, a shutter for each cylinder with 1 having an offset and 2 magnetic fields. This is why the Mirage guy could swap so easy between the CAS and 4G15 Distributor and why I would find it hard to believe the factory 7G galant ECU could interpet it correctly with changing either your ECU or shutter ring.

*Mirage 4G15, shutter on each cylinder with and offset and 2 Hall effect sensors
    *Galant/Expo/Summit, 1 shutter that lines up with TDC #1 cylinder (if you use the oem with distributor), 1 Hall effect sensor

Foremost, some pictures would be great of your setup.
    Last edited by 1BadVan; 05-09-2012 at 08:11 PM

I posted pictures a page or two back. The one I did this to is a 95 galant which is a 7ga meaning it has both cam and simulated crank signal off the distributor. I don't know the mirages well so I had to do a bit of research to narrow down the year range and motor that did both. Mine is a 95 stock ecu, 7g 2.4 bottom and 1g head.

Well cranked my 4G64/4G63 with distributor up, so far so good. To my surprise it started up on the first crank (after priming the oil).I still have to WOT tune, but so far so good. I'm using a SAFC Neo (yeah yeah I know you guys don't like that), but I'm running a boost referenced setup like this http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuni...provement.html

With what I'm seeing on my SAFC with the DOHC setup vs. SOHC so far, I would not be surprised if I can't control 750cc injectors with my SAFC. The reason I think this is with the DOHC setup (cams, cyclone intake) I'm not having to take out nearly as much fuel as the SOHC stock setup did. The DOHC setup is using up that extra fuel so far with the extra airflow. I was sitting at -37 on my SAFC for lows idle to 3k and now I'm sitting at -28 for the same range using the same 650cc injectors and a LC-1 A/F gauge for tuning. The only thing that changed was the head, cams and intake. I sit at -18 to -20 in./hg of vacuum at idle.
    My concern now is if I'm using up that extra fuel at idle with the DOHC setup, I will definetly be using more fuel when I get into boost.

Also I did change out the firing ring inside the distributor to my factory one as the distributor I used had the 2 magnetic pickups (inner and outer) crank/cam. My factory distributor only used the outer for the cam sensor, so to play it safe I swapped out the firing rings so only the outer magnetic pickup was registering anything. My crank sensor is still down by the crank shaft and the ecu is using that for reference.

Last edited by 1BadVan; 07-09-2012 at 09:26 PM

Thats great man. And I like the SAFC and my next mod will be the boost reference thing. Im glad everything works for you.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Hi everyone! I have just noticed that your 7G's have 4g64 engine blocks. I have an Asian 7G with a 4G63A engine SOHC, I was wondering if the process is still going to be the same with the 4G64 engine block. Will a DOHC headswap be easier with a 4G63 engine block? Thanks in advance?

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819