The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G DOHC headswap.... The easy way! ???

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 376

7G DOHC headswap.... The easy way! ???

You know, i was thinking,

if the cam on the 7g 4g64 sohc has the same slot for the distributor to plug into, as the 4g63t dohc's have on thier intake cam(only the ones with the triggers mounted opposite the timing belt side like on mine and seth's motors)

then i think it would be very possible to do a dohc headswap with ZERO wiring

you would just plug the distributor into the dohc head, tighten those two nuts, and call it a day.

of course the gains woudln't be as significant as with a ecu swap and such,
    but you would still have the buttery smooth and wide powerband of the dohc, and you can always swap ecu's later on.

but with this method,
    you would merely need a head, intake manni, headgasket, some new headstuds, and thats it.

which would definatly make the swap less complicated, and much much more affordable.

and of course it would become a modular upgrade path as well:

do the head first, upgrade the ignition and ecu later, then boost it for all the glory!!!!

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    That idea has actually ran across my head a few times. I have actually wanted to test if a 7g distrubuter would work on a DOHC head.

I have access to it..but I just never get the time to do it or I just forget it. Maybe a possible Labor Day weekend project?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

do it KEV!!!!

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

fastmgalant97
    will that actually work?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Hmmm I think Id need pictures of a 7g Distributor. Maybe I can do some testing with a 7g dist and a 1g head at the junkyard for fitment hah.
    7g for life!

DO IT, DO IT NOW.

I would so be up for a head swap if it was that simple! I hatehatehate wiring with a passion, despite the fact it's like everything else...follow procedures.

One day, I too will be a junk yard guru!

School's over, I miss wrenching. My parent hates when I do anything to this car.

I took off the hubcaps to spare them from any further road abuse and she freaked out.
    1996 Galant S

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Ahh dont worry, your parents will get less strict as you get older and can prove your skills

I remember back in my freshmen year of college, a couple buddies of mine went to the track and my parents wouldnt let me go lol. I just had the stock 4g64/Auto with a 60mm tb, CAI, SAFC, and my ricer can. I bet I would have run high 16s haha.

Dang parents!
    7g for life!

phizz2k
    Hmmm this would be cool if it would work, being that I just put a 95 non-eprom eclipse ecu up on ebay 2 days ago . I just didn't want to mess with the ecu YET. Iam still gathering parts to go turbo but the electrics has me stumped...

My main question (hope this isn't too far off topic) Is a logger and Safc/Emanage, all the same thing? I have a compaq ipaq pocket pc that I could buy an ob2 hot sync cord for. Would this be all I need as for air/fuel, Egt, and boost management?

If this worked there are plenty eclipse dohc junkers at my local junk yard that would give me a good price on them....

Quote Originally Posted by phizz2k
    Hmmm this would be cool if it would work, being that I just put a 95 non-eprom eclipse ecu up on ebay 2 days ago . I just didn't want to mess with the ecu YET. Iam still gathering parts to go turbo but the electrics has me stumped...

My main question (hope this isn't too far off topic) Is a logger and Safc/Emanage, all the same thing? I have a compaq ipaq pocket pc that I could buy an ob2 hot sync cord for. Would this be all I need as for air/fuel, Egt, and boost management?

If this worked there are plenty eclipse dohc junkers at my local junk yard that would give me a good price on them....
    you can log with yourcurrent ecu.
    just get a cheap ebay obd2 logging cable for a 2g eclipse.
    and some free software online, and you are ready to go. since you already have a pda.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

phizz2k
    Thanks a bunch DOHC, I'll take a look on ebay for that... I really appreciate it...

fastmgalant97
    okay back on subject i wana know if this dohc w/ a distributor would work if so then i no longer need to postpone my project if that really works i can have it done on thursday

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fastmgalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>okay back on subject i wana know if this dohc w/ a distributor would work if so then i no longer need to postpone my project if that really works i can have it done on thursday</div>

yeah, if this is true i'm gonna do the headswap next weekend
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member
    Serious if it works my 1g head is no longer for sale. Some one test it out.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

TGC Regular
    ummm why don't the guys who actually have a 4g63 and 4g64 test it out? :? [/b]

when is we gon be free????

fastmgalant97
    well if u think about it i dont really see why it wouldnt work if it has the slots for it and goes in flush then that is the only thing that i could think of that would cause it not to work if the slots are there and the intake cam spins the same as a cam on a sohc then this should work ......... i think need confirmation though

TGC Regular
    DOUBLE!!!

fastmgalant97
    dude u said that already

fastmgalant97
    maybe they dont wana mess there shyt up if it dont work

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fastmgalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>maybe they dont wana mess there shyt up if it dont work</div>

so who do you expect to mess up their car???

fastmgalant97
    i dont expect ne one to mess there car up

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast