The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G DOHC headswap.... The easy way! ???

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 376
    i should hacve done it when i had a parts car and my current motor.

i woudlnt't have been able to test it running
    but i woudl have been able to see if ithe distributor plugs in.

if it does,
    then it will work

without a single doubt in my mind

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

fastmgalant97
    okay ill do some experimenting at the junkyard tomorrow, ill keep yall posted and if this works.......... ill be the 1st to try it!!!

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    this is goooooood!!! anything yet???

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fastmgalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>i dont expect ne one to mess there car up</div>

the worst that can happen is that it doesn't fit, and you just put the sohc head back on and waste a headgasket......big whoop. right now i can't dedicate the time to it unless it will work for sure. i don't have a garage and i don't want to to fail a headswap in the parking garage in front of all my neighbors
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

fastmgalant97
    wen to the junkyard to day and found a eclipse with dohc and found a galant with the distributor fitted the disrtibutor on to the DOHC and..................teh distributor fits and bolts on pretty damn good i even took the distributor apart mad made sure the slots fit into the cam .... no problem at all so this GREAT idea should work :shock:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fastmgalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>wen to the junkyard to day and found a eclipse with dohc and found a galant with the distributor fitted the disrtibutor on to the DOHC and..................teh distributor fits and bolts on pretty damn good i even took the distributor apart mad made sure the slots fit into the cam .... no problem at all so this GREAT idea should work Â* Â* :shock: Â*:D Â*:D</div>

yep
    it will work.

i knew it would.

can't wait for the first guy to try it!!!

who's it going to be??????

<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>
    And so it begins...
    </span>

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Dear GAWD!!

Well, there goes my second car fund...

I guess if I do this I'll be saving up for a new trans anyway! HAHAHAHAHA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Seriously, someone go through this. Do a writeup, and then this will be every SOHC Galant owners dream. It'll be mine at least!

-Ian
    1996 Galant S

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    hmm....
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Sweetness. This would save you pansys some wiring haha. I wonder what the limitations of the stock distributor are. Heck, if I could find a cheap 7g with skipped timing, Id do the headswap on it just for fun then use it as my beater
    7g for life!

fastmgalant97
    ITS GONNA BE ME!!! i will officially be the first galant to put a distributor on a dohc ill do a tutorial while im going though it and take pics and yea all that shyt, should be done by the end of the weekend

Proto
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fastmgalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>ITS GONNA BE ME!!! Â*i will officially be the first galant to put a distributor on a dohc ill do a tutorial while im going though it Â*and take pics and yea all that shyt, should be done by the end of the weekend</div>

and the car run?

fastmgalant97
    thats what im hoping but unless i run into some major problems it will be working

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    so if i were to do my swap i could use my distributor instead of the coil pack?

fastmgalant97
    yes sir, it seems to fit perfectly dont know how it will run yet but will let yall know when im finished

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>so if i were to do my swap i could use my distributor instead of the coil pack?</div>

yes
    well in YOUR/OUR case,
    when swapping to the bulletproof 4g63t...
    you wat to go all out with the coilpackls and turbo ecu.
    there is no substitute for a knock sensor.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

fastmgalant97
    will the dohc work w/o the knock sensor or will i have to wire it in somehow? and what about the injectors and resistor pack wont i have to wire those in 2

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fastmgalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>will the dohc work w/o the knock sensor or will i have to wire it in somehow? Â*and what about the injectors and resistor pack wont i have to wire those in 2</div>

nah nah nah
    you will use yoru stock fuel system and everything

i was just speaking for blueICE cause he is dropping a 4g63t into his 7g.
    which is much more involved, with much more on the line.
    his turbo will require BIG injectors.

my stock 1994 GS 2.4DOHC had the exact same fuel injectors as the sohc.

all the knock sensor stuff is only if you want to swap over ecu's and run distributorless ignition.
    which is great, but it costs more and requires more parts scavenging, as well as more steps are involved for the installation.

you will be fine with the
    1g head, intake manifold, and 60mm throttle body.

trust me, you will see some serious gains for the amount of money and time involved.

BTW
    what headgasket do you plan to use?
    are you going to run ARP headstuds?
    do you already have the timing belt?
    Now is as good a time as ever to delete the balance shafts!

make sure you get the new head milled flat at a machine shop to insure a perfect seal to yoru new gasket.
    DO NOT reuse your old head studs...
    they are not reusable.

can't wait for you to finish man.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

fastmgalant97
    not sure on the gasket yet any suggestions, yes i already have head studs already have timing belt not deleting balance shaft see no real gain there , head is already milled ,i cant wait either ive been waiting to do this forever it seems like but now that ive learned about this dohc w/ distributor im finally able to aford it i have had the parts for months now just was saving money for the ecu and shyt .

btw is the cam going to rotate the same direction or will i need to swap the spark plugs wire to differnt spaces, im not sure bout that if no one knows i guess ill find out this week

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    The cams have to go the same way as the SOHC, its not a different motor. The firing order will not change, as the distributor and ECU are staying the same.
    7g for life!

fastmgalant97
    thanx seth starting when i get off work 2 morrow

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast