The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G DOHC headswap.... The easy way! ???

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 376
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    fastmgalant97 if you do the swap please please take pics and do a little write-up, if not a tutorial (if you please ) i already have the head and belt sitting in my closet.....

as for headstuds, i have ARPs and they're great. read the directions when installing them, and follow the OEM tightening order. can't go wrong there...

i reccomend using the OEM headgasket. why? it's decently cheap (compared to the others) and statistically speaking, it's the most succesfull gasket compared to the others (HKS, cometic, etc). during the planning stage of my 4G64T engine build i spent hours and hours reading about HKS vs cometic vs OEM vs custom copper and the OEM had the least amount of failures. tons of people swore by the HKS or cometic, but there was the small handfull of people that had failures. did they install the gasket wrong? did they forget copper spray? did they mistorque the headstuds? who knows. there's a lot of room for error even when changing your oil, let alone a headgasket job.

my OEM gasket lasted 50K miles on the stock motor, then it lasted 10K miles before i blew it at 8psi. but it's the OEM 64 gasket, it's not designed for boost, but guys still boost it anyways and it's lasted most people for years. i ran the turbo for another 12K miles before pulling it, and i've put 5K miles on it since with the n/a motor...still strong. and you're not going to be running any boost.....yet
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Well enuff talk and lets see some pics of the beginning project! Now you all got me really intrigued.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Good Luck on the install man..and take some pics of it too. Though what year Eclipse did you test it on? If I am correct..and someone please correct me if I am wrong. Don't the 7 bolt and the 6 bolt DOHC 4G63 heads have a different "fitting" issues? I might have to do more research..but I believe there is some modifications that have to be done concerning the CAS (for the coil pack type ignition)

1g headswap to 2g.
    http://www.roadraceengineering.com/1g2ghea...swaptechtip.htm

My concern is which 4G63 head did you test the 7g distrubuter onto? 6 bolt or 7 bolt head? Whichever cylinder head the 7g distributer bolts on to is the cylinder head you have to use. (I am assuming here) I didn't get a chance to test fit the idea this weekend..but I will most likely test it today on 6 bolt head.

Now for the question of a distributer fired DOHC working correctly...I think it should be fine. As long the firing order is the same (It should) and the intake cam rotates the same rate as the SOHC cam...it should work fine. A setup like this would be similar as the Honda B series turbo guys are running. DOHC and a Distributer type of ignition...and from what I remember, they are running fine.

I am actually glad DOHCtuner brought this up...I had the idea about this recently, but just forgot about it mostly because getting my house was priority.Plus...I invested $$ into a Eprom 7g ECU and I don't like wiring...so this actually might make some changes to my plans to what I am doing with -G-rim.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

as i was telling matt the other day...
    there are a couple of years on the 2g where the CAS is on the cam gear side of the head.(exactly like my 94GS was)
    but at that, its not hard to modify the cam to get it to work, and hell, might as well get a 1g head anyways, so who cares.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

MGalantES97
    hey its me fastmgalant97 i had to reregister bc it wouldnt let me log in but newayz iv had to postpone the head swap till sunday bc i had to order the headgasket and sunday is my next day off but im gona write up a tutorial for it and everything so those who want to run dohc with a distributor will have no problem

Quote Originally Posted by MGalantES97
    hey its me fastmgalant97 i had to reregister bc it wouldnt let me log in but newayz iv had to postpone the head swap till sunday bc i had to order the headgasket and sunday is my next day off but im gona write up a tutorial for it and everything so those who want to run dohc with a distributor will have no problem
    excellent,
    make sure you use new manifodl gaskets(intake and exhaust), thotlle body gaskets, and you will need some new spark plugs.
    in yoru case you will need NGK bpr6es plugs.
    just get the standard ngkplug, nothing special, and gap it according to the specs for a 94 GS dohc.
    once you get her running,
    its probably time to make sure you have ZERO exhaust leaks from head to tip.
    to insure you are getting maximum performance out of the new setup.

can't wait to see your results.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

fastmgalant97
    alrighty now ...sorry to keep you guys in the dark about this shyt but ive been busy workin on my car and going to work every day now ive got the head bolted on and distibutor plugged in every things ready to go but i have to work in the morning so it will have to wait till 2morrow but im gona check over every thing like 3 or 4 times just to make sure then im gona add oil and antifreeze, and fire my baby up hopefully i wont have to diagnose 2much but i have a good feeling bout this i think its gona work well sorry no pics have been posted yet i have pics and im doing a tutorial so once im all ready to go i can go buy a new scanner and share this "EASY HEADSWAP" wasnt as easy as i thought but was not hard either getting the distributor to fit in there along with the cold air intake was a challange but i got it in there good now i will double check 2morrow afternoon well wish me luck guys talk to yall 2morrow about

PS: and if all goes well tomorrowthen next payday........ ITS TURBO TIME!!!!! :firedevil:

nice! cant wait to see the finished project.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    sweet dude, keep us updated
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    How did you plug the extra oil gallies on the block? I hope you didnt forget this step :)
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    How did you plug the extra oil gallies on the block? I hope you didnt forget this step :)
    Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Ugh, WAITING FOR THIS IS FRUSTRATING...

Keep us updated man!

Some time this week I'll be: taking the bird shit off of my car before it digests the paint; removing 10 years of crap from everything that isn't on the outside of the car; possibly taking some of the interior apart to find some change; cleaning the interior (my G needs it!); and checking the condition of my brake pads.
    1996 Galant S

fastmgalant97
    well well well sorry to frustrate u guys and i had a shop tap the holes and plug them so they are flush with the block i would have been pissed if i forgot that step!!!! :-P welll all is good she is up and running havent really done any eal tests yet just drover her round the block a few times and checked for leaks but is sounds good it idles good and it looks great, power gains, i can feel that they are there when i take off but im just tryin to get the head used to the block i dont want to fuck up my headgasket by drivin it real hard yet but so for no problems and the best part started up the first try no check engine light on or nothin no leaks, the distributor seems to be working good so i can safley say it was succesful but ill let u know how the power gain is im gonna drive it nice and easy for a few days then once im ready to risk all my good work and time and money i put into this project im takin it to the the track!!!!!! thanx u guys

<span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">pics coming 2morrow!!!! :firedevil</span>:

TGC Regular
    good job man... i knew you could do it(or someone would, lol)

when is we gon be free????

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    With a headgasket, theres not much breaking in. Just a few heat cycles and you should be good to womp on her! I replaced a head gasket, head cycled a few times, made sure there wasnt any leaks, and I was good to go. You will want to re-check the torque on the head studs after about 50 miles just to be sure they didnt back out at all from the expanding of the head, but other then that, theres not much break in required.

PICS!

Im going to show this thread to Moosh and JiP, they are going to be pissed taht they spent all that time wiring a different ECU and coil packs! lawlz!
    7g for life!

yes and get cracking on the tutorial. :)

fastmgalant97
    so u mean i could go open her ass up rite now?!?!?!? ill be back in like an hour or 2 .......hopefully

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    That is great to hear man! Defiitely need to post some pics! I am hyped up the setup is working! :firedevil:

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

phizz2k
    Wow this is great news... Thanks a lot Fastngalant for being the risk taker on this one :). It looks like I got something new to add to my junk yard list :) and It also looks like the new head fits without a problem under the galant hood.

Post up some pics as soon as possible...

Great work

hell yeah,
    i just knew it would work.

Can't wait to see some pics and some vids!!!!

you shoudl have considerably more top end now.

it shoudl actually SOUND like its breathing better.

i wonder if this method would cross over to the 8g v6 using 3kgt heads?
    i bet it would.

just imagine,
    a 3.5l(diamante motor) DOHC stroker in a 8g....
    mmmmm
    talk about a powerband.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">
    congrats on a job well done.</span>

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

sweet!!!......i cant wait to see the pictures also...and the tutorial for it.....can you add a tools&material list for people like me.....this is indeed a great news for us.... 8)
    1990 GSX(91 eprom ecu set-up)
    6-bolt jdm (GVR4)
    16G turbo
    3inch turbo back(flowmasters)
    510cc
    OSTRICH
    FMIC
    ___trying to learn the art of tuning___

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast